airwaves

MB< has anyone told you that you were an arsehole lately!? :P

Skwerl, I feel for you.

I have 2 baby monitors in the apartment, they CONSTANTLY get interference etc from goodness knows where...

I have 2 baby monitors in the apartment, they CONSTANTLY get interference etc from goodness knows where...
RF type interference can come from many different sources. For example because poor wifey has a hearing problem ,one TV is set up with wireless remote speakers . Would you believe those damned things pick up about the second harmonics of 60 cycle hum which about drives me nuts .The source I discovered was a light dimmer ,who'd a thunk it .:?

My wifes hearing is so bad she can hardly hear that low of frequency but I have acute hearing and do .

I imagine with B's problem if a person really delved into it an RF surpression filter might work .That or RF shielding around the speakers .However the bottom line is that the neighbor is the one that is causing problems for everybody in his proximity and should rectify the problem .

Oh ,it's been so long I cannot really remember but I think it takes 5/8 of a wave length to deflect a radio wave .Don't quote me on that though ,too many moons ago .

I just thought of something .Two things ,kinda stupid but might work .Laugh if you want but a "tinfoil hat " for the speakers .

Take two layers of foil and seperate them by about two inchs and surround the speakers ,ground the inside layer . If the seperation is correct as well the thickness it in theory would bounce the signal back and forth until it attenuated .

Second ,find a piece of old fashion 300 ohm twin lead antenia wire ,about ten feet .Somehow connect it to the speaker,both leads just one end of it .Take about 6 inchs of aluminum foil and wrap around the wire ,have it connect to ground .This set up is a capacitor,low level .In theory by sliding the foil up and down the wire it effectively is a bad reject filter and would shunt the signal to ground . Both may or may not work .

The tv lead in wire thing was used in the early days of cable tv when the cable companys put a carrier on the signal to prevent people from getting free cable service . With elecronics transmissions of data ,there has always been an "underground ",still is ,look at the internet .;)

Willie, that's ham-speak for "Calling all stations, this is N1ZTB (my callsign) listening for a reply"

I just thought of something .Two things ,kinda stupid but might work .Laugh if you want but a "tinfoil hat " for the speakers .

Take two layers of foil and seperate them by about two inchs and surround the speakers ,ground the inside layer . If the seperation is correct as well the thickness it in theory would bounce the signal back and forth until it attenuated .

Second ,find a piece of old fashion 300 ohm twin lead antenia wire ,about ten feet .Somehow connect it to the speaker,both leads just one end of it .Take about 6 inchs of aluminum foil and wrap around the wire ,have it connect to ground .This set up is a capacitor,low level .In theory by sliding the foil up and down the wire it effectively is a bad reject filter and would shunt the signal to ground . Both may or may not work .

The tv lead in wire thing was used in the early days of cable tv when the cable companys put a carrier on the signal to prevent people from getting free cable service . With elecronics transmissions of data ,there has always been an "underground ",still is ,look at the internet .;)

OMG ,,, AL ,,,
I vote AL get his on forum , and he should be paid for it .
Call it ask AL.
Crazy how much stuff that head of yours holds...:O

I'm not sure if it will work or not .Good heavens it has been since 1971 that I actually did any indepth electronics work . I didn't loose all the theory but it certainly is rusty .:)

Your band-rejection idea is innersting, Al...

But I still opt for just kicking his ass.

I like the kick his ass option to.

But you might get into trouble.
The FCC is supposedly really strict just call umm hes prolly breaking some kind of rule .

I'm going surfing on the net about an RF band reject filter .I didn't have time on the other post,had to go to work and just pulled that one out of my old bag of tricks from years ago . They no doubt have better methods than lead in wire and aluminum foil I would think .Besides that just where in world would you ever find twin leadin wire now of days anyway ?

Al, your right of course, SOS, save our souls. I dont think anyone forgets that after they learn it.
I couldnt tell ya Mayday or anything else off hand though.

I think SOS goes back to the days of Marconi ,so called inventer of the wireless .

Now a long short story .My great granddad ,inventor of the rotary concrete kiln and one time employee of Thomas Edison was of course a tinkerer and puttser .Dabbled in about anything you could imagine .

When KDKA radio in Pittsburg Pa came on the air ,he already had the radio set built from salvaged parts he scrounged up .KDKA was the first commercial radio station in the USA . That old radio resides now on the Georgia /S Carolina border ,my uncle has it and as far as I know it still works .Trivia 101 .

Al, Radio Shack carries twin-lead.

I have one dipole here fed by it. The longwire is fed with 450 ohm ladder line, kinda the same thing but different. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tonight he was back at it again, turned up louder than ever. I called the sherriff's department and asked if I could place an anonymous complaint. The dispatcher was not conducive to that, said they couldn't do anything without a victim. I told him that I absolutely did not want to confront the guy myself with officers present because I have to live here and the cops have to leave at some point. He said they couldn't help me so I ended the conversation and hung up.

10 minutes later the cops were at the guy's door and his radio has been silent ever since.
8)

cops-arrest-clown.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And even stranger, a power company bucket truck just came by. Stopped in front of the guy's house and was looking at house numbers with the spotlight. Then they drove off. I have no clue what transpired in order to trigger a power outage call.

I guess next week when he fires it up again I'll think about the needle trick. I don't want to cost him money or prevent him from pursuing his hobby, I just want him to keep it the f*** outta my house!
:X

I would bet that you arent the only one that is getting the inteference and can spot a radio mast . Hopefully the guy gets his act together and shows a bit of respect for his neighbors.

Back