A300 Tree Care Standard Public Review

treelooker

Treehouser
The revision of ANSI A300 Part 3 Supplemental Support Systems and the new ANSI A300 Part 8 Root Management are in public review from July 6 to August 20, 2012.

The 30-day limited public review for the revision of ANSI A300 Part 7 IVM is also in public review from July 6 to August 5, 2012. This revision is limited to proposed changes for a small number of definitions and subclauses, the whole document is not available for public review.

All three documents are available for download at http://www.tcia.org/business/business-resources/ansi-a300/current-projects They are in the last column on the right in the table.

Commenting should include: 1. The wording in question, identified by number; 2. Supporting information, documents, images, references; 3. Your suggested wording to improve the standard. Note: Unsupported rants on unprovable philosophy are hard to understand, much less incorporate.

"Annex D – Managing roots affected by fill: Sample specifications for RCX (root collar examination) (This annex will not be considered part of the ANSI A300 Part 8 standard.)
D-1 Scope: Trees with fill contacting the trunk.
D-2 Objective: Avoid damage to the tree from the effects of fill on the trunk.
D- 3 Specifications:
1. Rake any coarse woody debris or fresh mulch away from the root collar area.
2. Press the blade of a shovel or a trowel against the trunk. Slide it carefully downward until resistance is met.
3. Push the handle toward the trunk, moving the blade away from the trunk.
4. Remove individual adventitious roots <1 cm and stem-girdling roots <1/10 trunk diameter. Manage larger roots per ANSI A300 (Part 8), 83.4 and 84.4. Avoid contact between the trunk and any remaining adventitious, girdling, and circling roots.
5. Lift the material away from the trunk and place it in a temporary staging area.
6. Separate and dispose of any infertile soil and debris. Retain the fertile soil, fine roots, mycorrhizae, and decomposed mulch.
7. Repeat until trunk and flare are clear, out to the root collar, where buttress roots divide. Use smaller hand tools, or compressed water or air, to complete the excavation. Commence the RCX (root collar examination).
8. Consider replanting the tree, if the flare is over 2” (5 cm) below grade and the tree has been in the ground for less than 5 years.
9. Remove soil and fine roots outside of the root collar to make a gradual slope.
10. Consider installing a device to control erosion.
11. Apply 2-4” (5-10 cm) of mulch over the root collar. Avoid mulch contact with the flare.
12. Remove the fine roots, fertile soil, mycorrhizae and decomposed mulch from the staging area. Incorporate the material into the outer rootzone.
13. Specify that future management will keep the flare visible."

my second-favorite part 8 part
is the flowchart at the start. :)

comments welcome here or offline to me (the part 8 parts anyway) or through the regular channels.

Is it just me, or is it hard to figure out what to do so that I can actually give some feedback? I clicked the link above but I can't tell what I'm supposed to be doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick if you are an ISA member then Rich Hauer is one option. Posting em here is another!

Standards have to be general aka vague; that way they can be universal. Is there a way to make it better?

Back