A simple storm job

rbtree

Climbing Up
Didn't even have to climb to set the rigging. GRCS all the way! The fir had major root rot, due to poor drainage and wet ground.
The rigging is in the fir just right of the failed tree, and left of the tree that the GRCS is set on. It's not very large, and deflected a few feet as we tensioned and lifted the appx 2000-2500 lb trunk free of the roof by a couple inches. There was some concern, as the condition of the tree was unknown, and could have been rotted as well. It went well, but I suppose a quick test drill coring would have been good. I did suggest that the 20 largest of the grove all be tested for rot. The whole area has drainage issues.

I brought out my nice old 056 Magnum II that I traded a customer, for $200 off his bill, years ago. She's a runner!

It's HD. Shot with my Canon 5D Mk III, which allows still images to be shot during video recording, just with a 2 second gap.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tjeQ_oDH_e8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjeQ_oDH_e8

looks like fun Roger..
Why did you edit out the log flipping back after that last cut?... looked unexpected, which of course is always where the opportunity to learn something comes in... interesting also that the knot slipped a little towards the top of the log... that's the sweet stuff to capture on video..

If not unexpected, perhaps unwise to make that last cut... the piece looks like it move away from you, so you probably were safe, AND still it looked a little too close for comfort.. you back pedaling with saw in hand as 1500 lbs of log comes flying back overhead in your general direction.. especially when you had other options.. what was the side line for at that point? Seems like it could have been used to swing the piece away from the deck, or you could have cranked it up with the Goods, or maybe tripped the last cut with either Goods or side line...

Yo think the lesson is to leave a little more wood past the tie off point... or cut a notch, leave a stub. Good lesson and not the only one.. rely on the rigging to save the deck and the heat pump, NOT your life...

Here's 4 seconds of slow motion... private link.. I'll delete video at your request....

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/soocnyjM29I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If most tree workers aren't still reasonably quick of foot, they probably shouldn't be in the trade any longer. Definitely better to be perfectly safe, but doesn't tree work just have that aspect to some degree, i mean just another one of those things. Hopefully we survive.

10-4, Jay, but that is a good 4 seconds to watch. It can help some folks realize what they might do differently on their own job. Analyzing where the different vectors are working (or WILL work when a cut is made) is all about deciding where you want/need to be when the piece is tripped. I have had my groundman keep me from making a mistake cut because he saw a different scenario developing than I did. It is the unexpected scenario that can really hurt us.

I like to see clips like that 4 seconds to help better understand the "what ifs" out there. (also known as the WTF's!!!)

If most tree workers aren't still reasonably quick of foot, they probably shouldn't be in the trade any longer. Definitely better to be perfectly safe, but doesn't tree work just have that aspect to some degree, i mean just another one of those things. Hopefully we survive.
Ya... run for your life... a great safety strategy!

Don't over embellish the point. You must be one of the rare individuals that is always 100% totally free of concern, though your legs do look a little weak in your avatar, so probably so.

Good analysis, Gary, good to keep as much as possible in mind.

"If most tree workers aren't still reasonably quick of foot, they probably shouldn't be in the trade any longer."

And I do agree with that, for sure. Ducking behind the spar or a quick back/side step has saved the day before.

I don't remember the last time I required a groundie to let a piece run to keep me safe.... most climbers do from time time to time, some more than others... as you develop your rigging and cutting skills there are a lot of ways to avoid the need for such. Its safer to control your own risk... Same with "cut and run"... Nothing "wrong" with in and of itself. And as your skills develop you can find other ways of avoiding the need... That video is a great example of how to take a big tree off a house with manpower.... Great teaching piece for many newbies... Let's also not avoid the opportunity to learn something else from that last cut.. part of that is discussing other options, which were plenty...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Murph, I knew exactly the movement that last cut was going to cause, which is why I was moving as soon as the cut was done.

And there was no chance of the line coming off until the section was briefly in line with the rope. At that point, the stub was all that held it. Granted, it should have been in a ways, or double wrapped.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pkE-hqPgeRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The side line was used to pull the log clear of the heat pump and deck railing. As can be seen, the log tips into the main rigging line, which is 70-90 Degrees away from my backwards path. I think I move pretty spryly for an old fart....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That must be a nice camera the video looks great. I lol'd at 2:40

Gotta love a poseur, eh?
Yup, at $3500, it better be, eh?! That, and Magic Lantern has a hack that I might get around to running. It allows the camera to shoot Ultra HD video, in raw, at 3840x 2160 P !!!! But I'd need to buy an expensive video editing program. Of course, I'll want to be acquiring a UHD Monitor or at least an UHDTV at some time.....

That and to shoot really professional video requires lots of skill and big bucks add on's for the camera. Focusing aids, external monitor, fluid tripod head, other very pricey mount systems........

Murph, I knew exactly what that last cut was going to do, which is why I was moving as soon as the cut was done.

And there was no chance of the line coming off until the section was briefly in line with the rope. At that point, the stub was all that held it.

The side line to pull the log clear of the heat pump and deck railing. As can be seen, the log falls into the main rigging line, which is about 65 Degrees away from my backwards path. I think I move pretty spryly for an old fart....

Fair enough.. Looks like you were 5 steps ahead of it and ready with a clear escape route. It would have taken a few different things to go wrong at the same time for you to be at much risk, so it looks worse than it was (which is often the case with video). Your choice was based on a thorough knowledge of exactly what was going to happen, and though it might have been slightly safer to crank the GRCS or swing the piece with the side line, the benefit wasn't worth the trouble... Thanks for taking the time to post that slow mo clip.. Very cool stuff..

Also interesting to note the choice of cuts used as you moved up the log... couple of top notches, then plunged vertical snap cuts, and the last cut was a straight snap cut, made with the top cut first..

Back