A fair sized tulip I've bid on-

So what are you bidding Roger.
My price is 1700 a day.
Two days, so 3400.
If push came to shove 2950 no less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had bid $4000, plus or minus $500. Customer just gave us the job at $3500-3800.......

I'm good with that.....we just may do it without the crane.....as I know it will work.

We did a 140 foot 56" dbh lombardy poplar today in about 6 hours, for $2300 cash, houses on either side 12-15 feet away....rigged all but a few small limbs and the larger of the twin leads, which I chunked down.

A tree like that would get you at least $8000 here. I would take my time, use a mini to load wood (not much use for firewood here) and spend 3 days doing it nice and slow.

In 1993 I removed (no stump grinding) a 120 ft. albizzia tree with a dbh of 7 ft. for $5000. All the debris had to be carried through a 36" gate and down 4 steps to the street. Truck and chipper had to be parked across the 20 ft. wide street. I was the climber with 2 ground guys and it took us 4.5 days. After labor and disposal fees I cleared $3850 or $770 day for me. Not bad money even today and big money in 1993.

It really surprises me how cheap removals are in some areas of the country.

wow. I live in a condo strata and could not imagine having to pony up 5 grand to get rid of a tree in my yard. Staggering.

If you think $5000 is high, in May of 2006 I removed a very large earpod tree at a private residence for $13800. I went there 1 day with 2 other guys to remove the branches near the house using my spider lift. The following week I had another tree company come in with their crane, 18 inch chipper and 75 ft. bucket to remove the rest of the tree for $4000 (paid them daily rate). I went back the following day with my wife driving my pickup and dump trailer and I driving my International to pick up all the logs with my Gehl loader. Disposal fees were about $700 total.

The guy I did the work for was extremely pleased with the job and paid me immediately. After ALL expenses, I cleared a little over $8000 for 3 days work.

mind boggling. I think my first three cars cost me less than 13 thousand dollars. but I suppose its all relative. :)

I only need 1 of you to move here, preferably from an area where you are doing removals real cheap. I will sub all my removals to you. The only bad thing, all the tree companies I know, myself included, do mostly pruning. We don't have a whole lot of removals here.

My favorite job by far is a small to mid size tree removal. Easy and high profit.

That removal would go for under 2k around here. Sad. Piece it out, no biggie, but that trunk wood is gonna weigh a metric ton.

Ya'll are forgetting that my firewood guy will handle the wood....

Only problem with this tree is it will be tedious, with so many individual limbs to lower...or toss some that are small.

There are plenty of low ball outfits here that would have been capable of doing this job (possibly) safely....but the customer was referred to just a couple of us good guys by our consulting arb (invaluable) associate.

We did the tree Thursday, with 3 hours Friday to drop the last 25 feet, buck wood, and rake up.....20 yards of chips, maybe 6-8 cords of wood.....

Dave is an animal. He did all the climbing the first day, and kept three of us busy as bees...I was able to grab the camera a few times.....

It went well, faster than I thought.....

No, Gord...

I'm having internet troubles or YouTube or both, trying to get the video online......

Still trying to load on YouTube, but it "took" on Vimeo:

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3521460&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3521460&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/3521460">Ruben Tulip poplar removal</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1090539">Roger Barnett</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

It's 9 minutes long, sorry.....

Nice vid Roger, looks like it went really smooth. Nice that there was as much of a yard as there was. I think I only cut down one Tulip Poplar in Vancouver, about the largest I know of in the area.

Attachments

• tulip_tree.jpg
    tulip_tree.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 73
That was good work to watch...your guys look very competent.

How did you get such good resolution to your video? What was the format that you rendered it in and what size was the file? I have a good camera but mine look more grainy than yours.

That stuff is relatively light this time of year .That will change in about a month -6 weeks when the sap is rising .Gets heavy as lead . Then when it dries out it's about like balsa .

I usually get a part of a load of either tulip or cotton wood every year to test the saws in .Pizz poor firewood ,good for cookie cutting though .

Nice vid Roger .:thumbup:

Great idea with the cardboard wrapped around the pillars in the car port.

Back