5/8" flipline

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I have been wanting to try out a larger diameter flipline and figured some one here might have a suggestion as to what line makes a good one. I don't want steel core but that's about my only request. What do you all use? 3 strand? 12? Dbl braid?

I make mine out of 5/8" 3-strand Treemaster. My prussiks I've been buying from Bailey's....the 3-strand with steel snap.

I once had a 3 strand 5/8. loved it . But have since switched to steel core on both of my lanyards on my saddle, one is 1/2" x8' with Gibbs ascender, 2nd lanyard is 5/8 x 12' with Petzl macrograb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That, and just wanting to try something different. I figure all those oldtimers can't be wrong.

I have a steel-core with a prussik made out of Icetail. I don't particularly like it, but it adds a measure of safety when blocking down.

one is 1/2" x8' with Gibbs ascender, 2nd lanyard is 5/8 x 12' with Petzl macrograb.

Yep that is how I roll as well. I like the wire cores flipability (is that even a word) and 5/8" sure does have a nice hand feel. Now for a lanyard I use the Petzle Grillon with a swabisch.

Gave 3/4" up about 20 years ago...t'was manilla cable core...too heavy and bulky to be reasonable. But I hear you, still like a fat flipline, 5/8" cable core suits me finer than frog's hair split three ways.

The thing that I don't like about the weight of my 5/8x15' flipline is that it pulls through the adjuster on its own in a way that my 1/2" x 12' didn't. Mucho better on the hands, though.

The thing that I don't like about the weight of my 5/8x15' flipline is that it pulls through the adjuster on its own in a way that my 1/2" x 12' didn't. Mucho better on the hands, though.

Whatcha hiking up that you need a fifteen footer?

Back