469 and 669 starter rope

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Does a 460 and a 660 share the same size starter rope?

I see contradiction between part number 1122-190-3400. Some mention both models. Some not.

I just trot off down to the local hardware store if I need rope and buy 40-50 feet at a time .I've got a drawer full of all kinds of sizes .Fuel lines the same but it seems for some reason I'm always looking for a size I don't have --back to the store I go .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought about switching over to generic pull handles. The elastro starts are so nice i just cant do it. They use a special rope al. My dealer insisted on giving me these small handle lately. I broke three. So i ordered them from treestuff today.

They do ? I've got the Baileys "elastostart" version on a 200T .Didn't look all that special to me .All it is is a compression spring inside the handle to deaden the shock a little bit .

I only once bought starter rope from a dealer .He just pulled off a chunk from a reel that came from Stens .Nothing Stihl about it .

I just trot off down to the local hardware store if I need rope and buy 40-50 feet at a time .I've got a drawer full of all kinds of sizes .Fuel lines the same but it seems for some reason I'm always looking for a size I don't have --back to the store I go .

Al, you are hysterical:thumbup:

I just feed it through the original handle and tie the knot? I have no issue starting, and have not noticed any difference in pull cord 'comfort'. The rubber is part of the handle, aren't you guys just buying a expensive piece of cord with a fancy stopper attached to it?

Yeah, but it's got the stihl logo on it. ;)

Not that expensive really, I think iv only replaced my 441 cord once in 7 years. No one uses that saw except me though.

Just make sure it is correct size and length, no cheep stuff and you are fine.

Too good cord eat starter if it is not pulled as intended.

To start saws properly, cord should run in center of hole rubbing sides as little as possible.

I don't recall changing a cord in a mid size saw.
I'm sure I must have done so, but usually they last as long as the saw, about 3 seasons.
BTW the way I dropstart, I get a straight pull, too.

Do people generally rewind starter springs, or buy new ones? Someone brought me a Poulan that was purchased in the states, and they had messed with it and the spring had to be rewound and put back into place. I figured I couldn't get a new spring for it here, It only took about an hour and a half to conclude to get smart about it rather than simply struggling to rewind. It takes a lot of hand strength to accomplish the feat of holding and rewinding at the same time. Too many tries and it only gets harder. A little jig with two screws and a piece of plywood actually makes for a relatively easy task to rewind, then a spring clamp to keep the spring together to drop in place into it's housing. I charged him thirty bucks, but I think he has forgotten to pay me. :(

Older saws have no spring case so they need to be wound up mostly. When they do you wound them up in case and put that in. takes about same amount of time.
A HVA 444 takes less tan a minute, another minute to put cover off and on, so $30 would have been a good hourly rate.

I don't recall changing a cord in a mid size saw.
I'm sure I must have done so, but usually they last as long as the saw, about 3 seasons.
BTW the way I dropstart, I get a straight pull, too.
It could have been replaced under service. I don't specify the cord, washers, screws, fuel/oil, lubricants etc. It is included in service cost.
I have a fixed price to put it on bench for diagnostic's and service. Parts are added to it.

Husqvarna has the saws designed for knee start. Drop starting will likely not let string fly thru center without touching sides.
Stihl and Dolmar I think can.

Back