Well it was back in 2005, and I remember lots of 6's and 4's being bandied around, so I think 064.

Check this out for a laugh...all our gear laid out before returning to College, I think that was the day we left ONE carabiner in the woods and were made to go find it before we could leave...

Attachments

• PICT0027.jpg
    PICT0027.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 41
Bermy, that was a nice looking stump in post #138

Well it was back in 2005, and I remember lots of 6's and 4's being bandied around, so I think 064.

Check this out for a laugh...all our gear laid out before returning to College, I think that was the day we left ONE carabiner in the woods and were made to go find it before we could leave...

That's a BUNCH of gear!!!!

I couldn't get enough zoom on that pic of Fiona's saw to see the decomp, but here is my first 066 Red Lite with no decomp, I also have a newer 066 poly fan wheel with the decomp in the top cover. NMTF chainsaw events 005.jpg .

What size saw do you think this is?
I used it during training, unfortunately I buggered up two picture files that actually show me using it. :(
I'll be damned, Fiona has an old 066 red lite in her picture. I just noticed the red lite lens above and foreward of the carb adjuster screws in her pic.:D
Look at my 066 redlite in my pic and compare.:)

NMTF chainsaw events 001.jpg

Good catch! I was thinking something looked off with it, I think? most of the other saws have the adjustment screws on the other side as well?

Good catch! I was thinking something looked off with it, I think? most of the other saws have the adjustment screws on the other side as well?
Andy,yeah at first when I saw Fi's pic it looked really familiar but could only say a 660 , thinking a 20 yr old 066 would be out of the question.
Then after looking at my 066 pics I spotted the red lite on Fi's pic. I haven't run my 066 for about 5 years now, it's just waiting in the shed.

Here's some pics of the inside of my red lite's carb housing, the red lite has long been disconnected due to ignition warranty upgrades but notice the "Arctic" heating elements on the carb which has a built in thermostat keeping the temp at a constant 77F. Today the elements still work perfect since the saw was new in 1992.
Also I ran .404 chain on this saw for years. I used up about 70 feet of Oregon 50AL from an old roll I had , but keeping the last 30 ft for safe keeping for use on some old collector saws I may one day get into. This chain is .050 chisel bit .404, very very rare chain today.

Attachments

• NMTF chainsaw events 004.jpg
    NMTF chainsaw events 004.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 41
  • NMTF chainsaw events 006.jpg
    NMTF chainsaw events 006.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 41
Yup, looking at those pics now I know for sure the adjustment is on the starter side on the other saws!
There were a lot of neat features introduced on the RL edition saws, that even just now we are starting to appreciate! It was way ahead of it's time!
I can still fine .404 chain, not that I need it, thankfully! But I can see it being in short supply in the future, much like the 1/2" is now!

All my 064 s had the Carb adjustment hole on the right side. . But. I've never seen an 066 with the red light. What did it indicate, heated handles???
CL, Every Stihl I owned since 1980 had the carb adjustment on the right hand side. The Red Lite 066 came out in approximately 1992. This saw had a built in digital tach that would turn the light on when the H speed screw was set right at WOT. Was quite a feat of engineering at the time, but problems arose quickly and Stihl replaced on warranty the ignition modules and flywheels for owners who were having erractic running behaviours, mine included.
The "Arctic" option is a heated carb for use in 066's sold in Canada. Mine has the heated carb but no heated handles [we were born with leather mitts and wool liners haha], it also has the dual outlet port muffler which is called a "Magnum".
The 066 compression release came out around 1995, maybe a little sooner. I have a newer 066 with a poly flywheel and it has the decomp, but no dual port muffler or Arctic.

To "simplify", it had a red LED above the adjustment screws for the carb, you would adjust the "H" screw at WOT until the LED was blinking rapidly. This meant the ignition was reaching the designed RPM for the saw.

OK. Thanks ; I remember hearing about flywheel and ignition problems when they first came out in my area. But none of the guys I worked with had the problem with theirs
But none were Red Light. . I wish all my saws had a heater wire in the Carb. This time of year I start getting Carb icing troubles. Seems all the ones here were Magnums. Some guys really liked the power. Some guys really missed the 064 with its 40+ minutes per tank of fuel average. I was running 394s and 288 s at the time so I didn't pay too close attention.

I miss using my first 064 that I bought in early 1986. These first series 064's weighed 14.1 lbs less then todays Ms460.

Back