arborworks1

Treehouser
Anyone put eyes on these saws yet. I read awhile back that they are slowly getting stocked.
I seem to be developing numb hands from running 2 cycle equipment so any reduction in vibes is what I'm after. Plus I need to replace an aging 440.

The newer anti-vibe saws are great for that aspect, IMO.

http://www.galeton.com/hulk-anti-vi...ql1EYzxmBNa+ mGNxb9MkQD7QwONuaDvf78yHv2GvgLc=

These help, too, but we only really use them if we are using the pole pruner with hedge trimmer, where we will use it for a whole day on one park's huge hedge. If you're needing more vibe reduction, they take a bit of getting used to, but can be used with any saws, but not for climbing or brush handling, if you want them to last. I don't think you'd get good performance for climbing, either.

So the 461 is available in north america? I haven't been in the saw shop for the last two weeks maybe but haven't seen one up here yet.

Also anyone heard of any plans to replace any of the bigger saws with a new anti-vibe improved saw? Like the 660 or 880?

As I understand it, 2012/2013 all saws have to meet new EPA standards, Stihl started with the most popular/largest selling saws and is working its way up the size list. So yes, they will be replaced as well.

I just read a news story that US emissions are down almost 20% from our peak. EPA laws have almost nothing to do with it but rather the fact that natural gas prices have dropped and many power plants have switched over from burning coal to generate electricity.

So no one here has run one? I'm with the original poster, my hands are brutalized. I need to invest in smoothness. But not at the loss of performance, ever hopeful a new winner will come out in this new Stihl line-up. 441 is smooth, but sucky powerwise imo.

Finally inside photos by Randy aka Mastermind

MS461013.jpg

MS461014.jpg

MS461016.jpg

MS461017.jpg

MS461018.jpg

MS461020.jpg

MS461021.jpg

MS461021.jpg

MS461022.jpg

MS461023.jpg

MS461001.jpg

MS461002.jpg

MS461003.jpg

MS461004.jpg

MS461005.jpg

MS461010.jpg

MS461009.jpg

MS461006.jpg

MS461007.jpg

MS461008.jpg

I had my dealer call Stihl last week.
The 461 will not be released in Denmark/maybe not in Europe at all:cry:

I've never seen the inside of those style engines . I suspect the port shapes have something to do with the fresh air used for the blow down portion of the transfer cycle .

It also appears the suspension system is much like a 290 .

On the emmisions we must consider in the last few years the cars have gotten smaller which would reduce the pollutants by that fact .Not to mention much more efficiant fuel delivery systems and associated components of EEC style engine controls .

It's doubtfull the EPA mandate on small engines had anything to do with it .Like pizzing in the Atlantic ocean to try and raise the water level .

Are they having issues already? That is a pretty new saw to need a rebuild!

I don't think so .I'd imagine he just peeled it down to the bones to take a peek at it .

Pshaw John Lambert AKA Gypo Logger I think had an 044 all of about 2 hours until he peeled it down .He just couldn't help himself .:lol:

I've never seen the inside of those style engines . I suspect the port shapes have something to do with the fresh air used for the blow down portion of the transfer cycle .

It also appears the suspension system is much like a 290 .

On the emmisions we must consider in the last few years the cars have gotten smaller which would reduce the pollutants by that fact .Not to mention much more efficiant fuel delivery systems and associated components of EEC style engine controls .

It's doubtfull the EPA mandate on small engines had anything to do with it .Like pizzing in the Atlantic ocean to try and raise the water level .
This looks like a normal engine.
No fresh air port...

Edit...

I see it now...

This looks like it might actually work.

For it to be a fresh air engine with "good emissions" as they say it needs another intake for fresh air, without fuel.
Were is the fresh air coming in the case then?
Fuel/air mix seem go straight in to case, this is normal. It is no "full circle crank so it has good crank case volume that will allow it to bark a bit. If it just take fuel air mix in and no fresh air it will work as saws have before Stratocharge/X-torq.
It is piston ported, but no lower port in cylinder, so why is it piston ported?

I don't get it.

It seems it is a normal engine with ports coming up under exaust and lead the gases to sides were it go above piston.
The bracket in intake side I can't figure out other than a air guide to get the gases flowing correct in case...

But I can't figure out were the fresh air come in???

:lol: you have to click the pic above to watch photobucket videos.

Here is same saw in another video except on utube.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOVK_FVdom8?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOVK_FVdom8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back