When I'm ready for a new powerhead I'll probably get one. I've had such good success with the 046+460 s that from what everyone has reported they will be great. I'm liking my 460 that Michael Lee hopped up for me that I'm actually Not looking forward to a new saw. This saw is Hot!!!!!

When I'm ready for a new powerhead I'll probably get one. I've had such good success with the 046+460 s that from what everyone has reported they will be great. I'm liking my 460 that Michael Lee hopped up for me that I'm actually Not looking forward to a new saw. This saw is Hot!!!!!

Enjoy Glen... Mike's been trying to duplicate that one...
It's very stout..

It doesn't have the stump the 390 . Or the balance with a long bar. But it has the snort over the 372 Western. 75 cc. . I don't know about the new computerized Huskies. . How's it going Hedge??

I'm running a 24" .063 ga 3/8 semi skip chisel 8 tooth. It really impresses the clients. With the trial ported exhaust and the Max Flow air filter it is really snappy.

I took the new 461 out for the first time today and felled the next two years worth of firewood. 50 year old oak trees, just right for an 18" bar.

It is a good saw, but in a lot of ways it is a throw back to earlier times.
It it a conventional engine, not a scavenge engine and it has rubber mounts.
So it vibrates a lot more than the 441, no surprise there.
It has plenty of power, but lacks the low RPM torque of the 441.

It is a bit on the rough side for me, I think I'll be using the 441 and let our next apprentice have this one.

One way to say it:
Comparing the 461 to the 441 is like comparing a Shelby Cobra to an Aston Martin.
I suspect that most Americans would prefer the rough and ready 461, whereas a suave Scandinavian logger like myself would go for the 441.
For every day use, I prefer a saw with less vibrations and a smoother running engine, so the 441 wins the contest.

The engine should be perfect for modding, so those of you who have been bemourning the passing of the 460 should love this one.If the shipping wouldn't be horrendous, I'd send this one to Mastermind and let him soup it up.

The handle heat works almost too well. If I had had me some buns, I could have made hot dogs out of my fingers, almost.
But then it wasn't that cold a day, just windy as hell.
It should be right for real winter running.

Ill still take an 064 or flat top 066 over a lot of these new ones. Though the antivibe is becoming marvelous lately.

Ill still take an 064 or flat top 066 over a lot of these new ones. Though the antivibe is becoming marvelous lately.

You don't want to end up with fingers like mine, after running saws your whole life, Chris.
Better to go for a good anti-vibe saw, sacrifice a bit of power, maybe, but still be able to hunt in the cold when you are old.
Raynaud's syndrome is no fun to live with in a cold climate.

The 461 is fuel injected right? Same as the cut off saw?

Electronically controlled carbs is less than half way, fuel injection is the way to go. Jonsered were on the right track 60 years ago with fuel injected saws.

Can we have an AMEN?!
Chris, that 044 is still kickin arse

Good. I've sold a half dozen saws on here at what I considered a reduced rate so friends can get some hours out of them. People have been equally generous to me in return here. However, I always get worried that something will get overlooked and someone will feel ripped off. Poor Mike McCauley. He took a 441 off of me and I was hounding him constantly ahead I time with pics and videos to his phone of cold and warm starts. I would be sick to my stomach if a friend ever suspected I cheated them.

You don't want to end up with fingers like mine, after running saws your whole life, Chris.
Better to go for a good anti-vibe saw, sacrifice a bit of power, maybe, but still be able to hunt in the cold when you are old.
Raynaud's syndrome is no fun to live with in a cold climate.

Oh I love the oldies but make my day to day living with fresh technology. Truth be told, the 0 series stihls, and the 2 and some 3 series Huskys were outstanding tools. But with some of these current saws that behave like they are in the next engine class up, run smooth as glass in your hands, and sip fuel gently, it just wouldn't make much sense to go after old saws for daily production. Now, to have on the shelf and get out and run periodically in a casual firewood setting, I still love them.

The 461 is fuel injected right? Same as the cut off saw?

Electronically controlled carbs is less than half way, fuel injection is the way to go. Jonsered were on the right track 60 years ago with fuel injected saws.

Nope, conventional carb.
I figure that what Willard is hinting at would be injection.
Like I said, this saw seems like a step back.

I'm sure our next apprentice will love it, though.

Stig how old is your 441 you favor? I owned one of the very early ones and it was a good saw and certainly was a money maker but I didn't find the power curve to be as pronounced as you say. I once heard the very early ones were a little doggy.

The new C-types are way different from the early ones.
That computer makes a big difference IMO.
We've just got the new 661C and that has the same low end grunt.
I'm currently on my 3rd 441, as they only last about two seasons for me.
Then I sell them under the table to firewood cutters of which there is an abundance here and buy a new one, which I then subduct from taxes.
Works pretty good and the IRS can't complaint, because they took a logger to court over his subducting a new saw every year, back in the happy pulp days ( 70es) and lost!

Nope, conventional carb.
I figure that what Willard is hinting at would be injection.
Like I said, this saw seems like a step back.

I'm sure our next apprentice will love it, though.
Stig your 461 is a current production model. I'm talking about one that is not.:)

You guys ever run an 045? It was my first saw, I knew so little about saws that I can't even recall what it performed like, it was just a saw. So Im just curious what kind of rep it has.

Back