I ran one once for a moment. I don't recall thinking it was great. Heavy, odd ergonomics, and relatively slow by today's standards if I remember right.

I took the new 461 out for the first time today and felled the next two years worth of firewood. 50 year old oak trees, just right for an 18" bar.

It is a good saw, but in a lot of ways it is a throw back to earlier times.
It it a conventional engine, not a scavenge engine and it has rubber mounts.
So it vibrates a lot more than the 441, no surprise there.
It has plenty of power, but lacks the low RPM torque of the 441.

It is a bit on the rough side for me, I think I'll be using the 441 and let our next apprentice have this one.

One way to say it:
Comparing the 461 to the 441 is like comparing a Shelby Cobra to an Aston Martin.
I suspect that most Americans would prefer the rough and ready 461, whereas a suave Scandinavian logger like myself would go for the 441.
For every day use, I prefer a saw with less vibrations and a smoother running engine, so the 441 wins the contest.

The engine should be perfect for modding, so those of you who have been bemourning the passing of the 460 should love this one.If the shipping wouldn't be horrendous, I'd send this one to Mastermind and let him soup it up.

The handle heat works almost too well. If I had had me some buns, I could have made hot dogs out of my fingers, almost.
But then it wasn't that cold a day, just windy as hell.
It should be right for real winter running.
You got all that from cutting 2 10" diameter oak trees? :p

How much firewood do you burn in a year? I'll bet Stig gets through More than two ten inch trees worth.

Willie, it is Scandinavia where I live, not southern California or Florida!
I go through 30 cubic meters of wood a year.
10" dia is what I like for firewood, makes it less of a hassle to lift onto the splitter if I don't use the maul.
Actually these were more like 15" DBH.
Felling 60 cubic meters for myself and 20 for friends in those trees make for a good days work.

There was a fuel injected 461 circuling Europe a while back..

Edit.

Not sure were the pic's are, I try find them again..

Back