Stig, Stig, where are you!!! Oh up there, ^^^ ok, short bars forever, time for the duet...!

I've done 43" trees with the 20" bar on my 361 (they were norfolk pine so kind of soft)...I'm in your boat too, need a bigger saw from time to time, and I am thinking of the 461 as well, if it can pull 25" occasionally, thats all I need, any bigger, I call the men.

For thr 'in house' joke look at my and Stig's tag lines under our names...

When i first started i ran a 32 on a 460 occasionally. Works, but not a rocket like said. I worked like that for years, then stumbled accross a new used 660. It wears a 36 and now i cant remeber the last time we used it, lol. I should really invest in a 25 for it and give it some seat time.

This is where I just have to pipe up and say that a 32" bar is overkill for that tree.
Sure, if you have one, go ahead and use it, but if you don't, no need to invest in one just to save a few minutes on one tree.
24" will do it nicely and matches the 461 better.

So invest in the 461 and use my 25" bar?

Our 461's seem to lag with a 28" rail. The 25" run awesome on the 461s, and my personal 460. I would say make it work with the 25" bar.

you will love the 460/461, all around its the best saw I have ever run, IMHO.

Ok well that works. I will do just that because I am gonna have to dice it up anyway to get it out to the container since access is limited. At least with the 461 I will have the option of getting a longer bar and/or ported in the future.

Yup, works for the big tree you have right now, with still a few options to use it in other situations, probably more than having a 660 sitting around.

Bump...

I just put a deposit on a 461, comes with a 20" bar here...I woke up early this morning wondering if I should have opted for the 441 instead...
I WILL be using it up in a tree from time to time, the 461 just felt more balanced than the 441...its also only 100grams heavier and was only $50 more in price. I've used a 361 in the trees before, just over a pound more in weight, I reckon I can manage.

I've said before (ad infinitum) that I need a bigger saw, and it was always going to be a toss up 441 or 461...did I toss the right way?

I agree, there isn't enough weight difference between the two to go with the lesser powered unit. Only thing I'd have done different, I'd have gone with a 25" bar, it really does balance a lot better with the longer bar on it.

I agree too. I've got both doubled in modded and stock versions. The difference in weight is negligible IMO and a 460 is way more power.

I agree with Andy in the bar length too, although I still call the stihl 25" bars 24".

Why does stihl call them 25"? :what: They are 24" and 84dl just like any other 24". I always wondered if it is stihls way of just trying to make the blind think they are getting more. ;)

I think 24" might be a bit much for me up in the tree...musk ulz or no...
I've handled my 361 with 20" ok, got to be able to manage the extra weight, never mind more bar length.

I would probably get a 24 for ground work later.

Champing at the bit to get up the trees and pick some of that money that grows there so I can get this puppy paid for and go get it! Rain delays...sigh.

Probably Stihl is trying their unsuccessful best to accommodate you guys that are still stuck in the inch/feet/yards way of measuring things, instead of metric. The exact science of a yard was probably the girth around someone's waist, or the distance from the tip of a guy's nose to the end of his thumb. :lol:

I think 24" might be a bit much for me up in the tree...musk ulz or no...
I've handled my 361 with 20" ok, got to be able to manage the extra weight, never mind more bar length.

I would probably get a 24 for ground work later.

Champing at the bit to get up the trees and pick some of that money that grows there so I can get this puppy paid for and go get it! Rain delays...sigh.

You won't be disappointed I think. At 20" that sucker will be a monster.

For myself I jump from the top handle to a 460 24" bar. My personal preference.

Yeah, I don't really get the 25" thing either, but it's what it's called so it's easier to walk in and ask for that then walk in and ask for a 24" and have the salesman look at you and say "HUH?"
Honestly, if you plan on using the 20" in the tree, use the 361! Plenty of power for that bar, and it's lighter. Get the 25" and if you really want/need to, take the bar off the 361 and put it on. This gives you more options down the road.

Back