.250 Pitch Chain

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I know it is often the choice for carvers, but I wonder if anyone uses it on their smaller tree work saws? It seems to be marketed for that potential as well.

Someone recently gave me a small professional grade Zenoah top handle saw that was having problems, I guess the same as sold under the Redmax name in the states now. I had been looking around for a decent used one, the new ones are rather expensive, like over $700 here. It does not have a tapered carving bar, but the chain is the quarter pitch, and I think what originally came on it. It sure is some small chain, perhaps good for trimming and what not? I did get the saw good running with a new diaphragm and starter pump, and the chain has some life left to it. I think that possibly the 3/8" lo pro chain is what might normally come on them now...not sure. I might want to switch over at some point. Still haven't had a chance to use it.

Thanks.

It was standard small saw size up perhaps until the late 70's I 'd guess .Afterwards it all went to 3/8 lo profile/pico .I've got a couple oldies with 1/4" chain .

Also I might note Oregon at one time made 1/4" chisel in both full and skip .It cut like crazy .It was taken off the market because Ralph Nader deemed it unsafe .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
With the little I have used it, the chain seems to cut ok. I like a tapered bar sometimes, you can really whip it in and out of tight crotches, it can be an asset. It occurs that the small pitch would be better for that type bar with the small radius, hence what carvers have. Plus the more delicate cutting claim the chain makers say about it..

Dad still uses it on his 3 020's.....they are tail handle saws, used for limbing. My bitch about the stuff is its a pita to file, 72 drivers on a 14" bar, I'm looking cross-eyed by the time I'm done.

Ed

Why you see this harder to file?
I have it on several saws and some custemers use them too.
I don't find the 1/4 chain harder to file, actually the opposite. I find it easier over the 3/8 LoPro to maintain because the 1/4 is a minature shape and design of the full size 3/8 which I have filed all my working life.

I think what Ed was referring to was the extra # of cutters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If less vibration with the smaller chain, perhaps a good choice for a bucket saw where you one hand it a lot. :/: Less fatigue......

I get it now.

I like them, higher number of cutters is not something that bothered me when i filed, seems to take about same time.

I'm not sure why they went from 1/4" to 3/8 low .Maybe the cutter is a little taller on the 3/8 and rolls a bigger chip .Then too with 1/4" you just take smaller bites but a lot more of them .

Back