200T no one can fix local

I will also add that if your saw is healthy you can wack the clutch off with a longhandled barwrench (the ones made to fit in under a full wrap are best) and just your bar smacking against the compression. This can also be an exercise in frustration though.:|:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds Frustrating to me....
I can't wait to hear from Brian on how she ran today, think he was going to work her....
Can't wait to get her back ...
Did I mention this was originally my wifes saw??

As a final note on this, I shipped the saw out this afternoon. It wasn't that difficult of a repair and it's disappointing that so many saw shops can't (or won't) fix basic issues such as this. Stephen did everything by the book, kept the saw 100% stock with all the safety items intact, used the manufacturer's recommended mix oil and the result was a completely plugged up muffler that the dealer could not fix. :( You really cannot count on your dealer for everything and it's ok to be sceptical of their advice sometimes.

And if I may pat myself on the back just once (hopefully I won't throw out my shoulder), I've gotten saws back from several builders that were covered in grit and grime and totally nasty. I took about 5 minutes with the air hose and blew out this saw out before packing it up. It's about the same level of maintenance I perform on my own saws once every week or two (depending on usage). Here's a couple pics from today compared with pics of the saw when I pulled it out of the box a week ago.

I can't thank Brian enough for pursuing this project. The saw looks great Brian. I am sorry I did not have it cleaner for you.. Like I said, I shelved it two years ago and never touched it after I got it back from all three shops save for test runs. Drained it and shelved it. Sort of consigned I would not be able to get anyone to get it fixed. But you proved all the shops wrong and I really can't wait to go in and let them know how bad they messed up. I spend thousands in repair and maintenance a year with at least one of these shops. One by one they have lost all or most of my business.. I have actually been asked by one of the shops if I am doing ok this year 'cause they don't see me as often.. You can imagine my response. LOL
The people in this forum are awesome when it comes to saws and the profession we are all in. In some form or another.
Thank you all for your contributions to all our threads and especially mine. Also for all the support and knowledge you so willingly and selflessly share.

B did a great job but as he pointed out this was elementry and any decent saw shop should have found the problem .

Not trying to be a know it all but I think everybody that owns and operates a saw should become familiar with simple things like a plugged muffler ,broken fuel lines and other things that saws just get from time to time .

I'm not in anyway saying that a person has to be a guru at building modified engines or anything like that ,just a few basics . You'll save yourself a lot of grief and money if you do .;)

Up date on the 200t... Finally got her up in a tree after getting her back. Saw really performed well with Brians work on it. Slayed a live oak.. Cut right through 14 " dead wood with the 16 bar.. NP. Solid not rotted BTW.
Missed her light weight and balance in the trees these last couple of years... Hopefully I can pick up one more next year to use as back up.
Thanks again Brian... :)

glad it worked out.awesome saw! i love mine.

i cannot say enough about compressed air.i do not understand why more people don't use it.especially considering you can get an air compressor a hell of a lot cheaper than the saws we have.i've seen 60 gallon compressors for 20% less than the cost of an ms200t.

Have one hornett and use it all the time..
Maybe when I slow down and not work as much I will learn more about repairs besides the standard lil shat and have time to make them. Time is mostly my problem.. I have not lost a day this year to no work..

glad to hear you're busy.wish we were here.i love to work so it'd frustrating.

didn't mean you .i meant a lot of guys i know.amazing how they treat their equipment.

glad it worked out.awesome saw! i love mine.

i cannot say enough about compressed air.i do not understand why more people don't use it.
You can pick up a cheapie ,3HP 30 gallon single stage for a couple hundred . Something like this will work well for the average person . Besides blowing off a saw they come in real handy for inflating a tire .

I have a 3 HP 30 gal at the house and a 5HP dumping into two 60 gal tanks at my shop at 150 psi . In addition I have a 10 HP sitting on a 120 gal I have yet to use . I could sand blast with that one .

You can pick up a cheapie ,3HP 30 gallon single stage for a couple hundred . Something like this will work well for the average person . Besides blowing off a saw they come in real handy for inflating a tire .

I have a 3 HP 30 gal at the house and a 5HP dumping into two 60 gal tanks at my shop at 150 psi . In addition I have a 10 HP sitting on a 120 gal I have yet to use . I could sand blast with that one .

You will need some kind of big electric hook up for that 10 horse, no?

50 amp breaker should handle it. I think a 10HP is 44FLA
Most likely is on single phase .

This one is 3 phase 480 volt .My home made rotary phase converter is only a 5 HP which is too small to start this thing . Not a big deal I have a 15 HP to make a larger converter ,just haven't taken the time to do so .It's on my list of stuff to do which seems to get longer rather than shorter .

After thought : My shop is on it's own 200 amp service ,no problem running out of power .I had some pro do it .

So, you have to put a transformer on it after it comes out of the RPC?
Oh you wouldn't believe my shop .I've got 120/240 single phase . 240 and 480 3 phase 208/365 Europian Y , 277 single .

Yes to the question . .2 -10 KVA single phase xformers hooked up bassakwards ,480 out running a single voltage 480 motor ,in turn going to a 7.5 kva 480 to 240 can for my 240 3 phase loads .

If I had enough transformers I could build a bolt of lightning .;)

This was a great read, Thanks for the link.

I got a question about chains. The one I just picked up came with 3/8LP that I am used to on my other small saws.

But what I am wondering have any of you guys ran .325 chains on your 200T saws. Could they pull it without problems? I have a bunch of .325 063 chains that were give to me and have nothing in 063 .325 to run them on. So I was thinking about trying it.

Nope. Too much hassle/expense finding sprockets and bars in order to use a few leftover chains. The chains aren't worth it.

And even if it only reduces usable power by 5-10%, are you really willing to give up that power to salvage some leftover chains that don't fit anyway?

I see your point, but I got like 2 dozen stihl .325 chains new and used. Some even brand new and square filed .325.

Find another use for them or sell them on ebay. Why cripple your most important saw?

They'd be easier to find a use for if they were .050 gauge. Stihl is the only one using .063 gauge for the most part.

A bar and chain for a 200T is not that much .In fact if I'm not mistaken Baileys have them on sale right now .

Of course if you wanted a genuine super duper regulation Stihl bar and chain it would be a little higher . That is just a personal preference I suppose .

The Stihl most likely though would be of better quality .

Al, you missed the point entirely. Buying a .325" pitch, .063 gauge bar for a 200T may present a bit of a problem. Not to mention a .325 sprocket for a 200T. Then it will be geared too high because you can't get a 6 pin .325 sprocket anyway.

My sports car needs 14" tires and I have a stack of 15" truck tires here. Why don't I just use the tires I have and save some money?

Back