How'd it go today?

I know you've mentioned your time/experience riding before. And any horseback riding is fun. But IMO, like most things, lessons from a good instructor are invaluable. Bareback riding is fun and a skill but IMO the level of riding and disciplines you can practice/compete with using a saddle is higher. But everyone has opinions. I look at bareback as cross training for myself but ride mostly with a saddle.

For myself taking lessons gave me the confidence that I was doing my part right. And confidence is everything with horses. That's one of the real cool things about horses IMO. They are such a sensitive animal, they really know if that confidence is real or not.

All horses and people are different. I road a bunch without seriously taking lessons and got to be ok. Than last year I started regular and intensive lessons/training. I think having a discipline(job for the horse) is good for training. Something to focus on and strive for measurable results and improvement.

Fine bumper and winch arrangement. Now you have to get set up with the necessary rigging to get the most out of it.

You'll need at least 2, and better 3 or 4, cable blocks, 3 or 4 inchers. You'll need 2 or 3 anchors...3 inch doubled flat webbing 6 to 10 feet long, with heavy opening D's, triangles, or shackles in the webbing eyes at each end. A couple of logging chains, 12 or 15 feet long, with chain catching hooks on each end. 1 or 2 lengths of cable to match what's on the winch ( I think that 8K model runs 3/8", but could be mistaken), at least 50 and probably better, 100 feet long with eyes on each end. And 3 or 4 extra shackles, for who knows what :).

All this will cost a not insignificant sum...but I have seen many a fine winch be rendered next to useless, for lack of sufficient rigging gear on hand. If one spends the dollars for the winch and mount bumper, it's foolish and a waste of those dollars to do otherwise.

Then you need to bone up on rigging for MA...and safety protocols for winch use. A person can get kilt quick if they let themselves be inside the bight when a heavily tensioned winch cable lets go...or lose a finger if you let your hand get too close to the fairlead or the winding cable.

Last piece of hard learned advice...ALWAYS, always rewind the cable neatly on the spool, and have it neatly wound before you pull. You will extend the life of the cable immensely, and not end up bound down under a hard pull nearly so easily.

Wow! Thanks Mr. B.

I'll certainly start collecting some of the necessary rigging. Wonderful shopping list!

I'm thinking a large part of the little winches duties will be pulling on textiles, which can then make use of my existing kit. . .

Vehicle and log recovery will need the hard stuff for sure.

Thanks again, super interesting.

Cheers.

I interfaced my steel and cable rigging with rope and fabric often, and in many configurations. Nothing like 300 feet of KMIII added to 125 feet of cable to give a fellow some major mojo in a myriad of pulling situations. Just watch out for friction against road, ground, rocks, etc. with the soft stuff. The power the winch brings to bear, especially with some MA in the mix, can put wear damage on ropes that has to be seen to be believed. Any aluminum unit, even more so.

A four wrap prusik loop of 9 or 10mm polyester or nylon will grab cable pretty well, unless it is slick from mud or suchlike. Another alternative and just about drop dead guaranteed to grab cable right where you set it under all conditions, is the venerable Havens Grip. Cost about $60 for a half-inch and under grip, worth every penny. Perfect for adding that extra cable length to the scenario. More than a few times a Havens has made my day :).
http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/havens-grips/klein-havens-cable-grip-05-capacity

I have not seen it do so, but it might be possible under very heavy load to squash the cable a bit. It won't put a kink in it, I don't think.

He insisted, I was worried about ragg top. Originally, we were supposed to just broadcast, but I guess his son thought different. So....
The other best part, we did not have to unload it :lol:

I have not seen it do so, but it might be possible under very heavy load to squash the cable a bit. It won't put a kink in it, I don't think.

It's possible that the Chicago grip's application is for when you can't have any cable deflection, like with a static tree cable. They have flat jaws. Never used any.

Good tip about the Haven's. Thanks!

Started off by whipping our burn pile into shape for the coming season. Ready to accept all the brush we can produce

17813996_1328621190507152_1768174397_n.jpg

17792764_1328621317173806_927986356_n.jpg

17792382_1328621443840460_1715601544_n.jpg

Then, I was going to prune apple trees. . .

17813802_1328620473840557_1507102597_n.jpg

Only to be called off when one of our guys noticed a busted water main had flooded our holding tank enclosure. The only thing I could get to pull a draft was my little mini-pumper, which did a great job. I've got the project manager sending a guy up tomorrow to assess and repair the broken main. FML. I just want climb and clean up trees. . . Doing battle with all the problems of a small municipality. . . :|:

17807113_1328619650507306_1645382203_n.jpg

17792590_1328620273840577_1541932092_n.jpg

Thanks Stephen, the resources side of things is above water, now I just need to get the infrastructure out of the 1950's and we'll be able to coast for awhile. Almost there. . . New 7200 distribution is almost totally done, and the new water tank and enclosure are being plumbed this week. New water mains are next. . .

On that theme, did y'all ever hear this oldie from Bread, 'Mother Freedom?'

Kinda cool, imo. Give it a quick listen!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MRNe04kw3Cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back