O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Burnam, just lost my last 200... I'll probably rebuild one top handle and the rear handle.

Now, you want a good ground saw in the Echo line, the 620 is amazing. Basically a pro 590.
I buy 590s for the ground guys. Run like raped apes. The 590 has more plastic. The 620 sports 3/4 wrap, metal chain sproket cover, double dogs. Great saw.
I take that 590 up the tree with me often chunking down. 59cc beasty. You should try one. Cheap enough for bucking some fire wood. Usually come with 20" BAR.
I run mine with an 18"
I would wager the 620 with a simple muffler mod and tune might out perform some 372s. 440s would be quite a race.

The Echo 2511 is a game changer, it’s as light as a feather, but punchy enough for trimming and most TDs.

The 201 feels like a breeze block in comparison.

Of course it’s not as powerful but the weight difference makes it well worth it.

Plastic cases.... haha...

They are for the guys on the crew.

We have an electric husky too and a Stihl 150... and a couple old ms200T's....

Congrats on the new saws! I would like to hear your feed back on how the Echo 2511 compares to the 150.

That's what has me on the fence between the two $$. I have a very nice 200t ,my precious, a 334 muff modded, and a 335xpt all run well so removal saws are covered but the weight savings of the feather weights is so very appealing. I am a 70/30 removal pruning co. or that's my market anyhow. What's the chain pitch on the Echo?
I know the Stihls is their Picco, same as the pole saws, right?

The Stihl MS150 runs a 1/4" pitch chain, same as the new pole pruners. They are quite proud of it. Running this saw requires having one more size of chain and one more file size (and they break easily).

I've bought 6 of these saws and 3 of them are in a big box in the shop. Terrible durability. I'm averaging less than a year out of a $550 saw. Every single one has had oiling issues, loose bar stud issues and oiler issues. Without exception. Half of them have kill switch issues (the ground screw strips out).

Getting ready to go swap carbs on another MS150 to see if I can eliminate the lean surge. I will not buy another one of these overpriced pieces of junk. At least with the Echo if it dies in a year I'm only out a couple hundred dollars. I can deal with a $200 or $250 throw away saw, but not a $550 throw away saw.

As Mick said, the echo really benefits from the conversion to stihl 1/4" cutting gear, which coupled with a simple muffler mod really wakes it up.

If you get the time Pete, could you post a pic of the muffler mod? I’m reluctant to get medieval on mine as it’s so new, so a pointer would help.

Muffler mods should be relatively simple. You just make the passageway for exhaust air larger so exhaust can exit with less resistance. A gasoline engine is just an air pump. The smaller the outlet, the less air will be pumped. Hopefully you can figure out how to do it without directing the exhaust at plastic parts causing them to melt.

I haven't seen the Echo saw yet but most of the Echo mufflers I've seen in the last 10 years incorporate a type of catalytic converter looking thing, or a spiral of metal forcing the exhaust through a screen that looks like closely spaced radiator fins. And they are usually welded together rather than held closed with screws in order to make modification more difficult. Once you figure out how to get inside the muffler it should be easy to hollow it out. The hard part is getting it closed back up (unless you have a welder).

I've also heard/ read that the new Echos take simple muffler mods well with good gains. 355T performance becomes comparable to stock 201TC.

New Sena 20S Evo comm after mine took a dunk in the Lake of the Ozarks in middle Missouri. Dang. I was enjoying the silence. s-l1600.jpg

I prefer to listen to the voices in my head when working, not other peoples voices. My subs second 355 did not last nearly as long as the first 355 he had. Good saws tho for the price and easy power upgrades.

For some reason I can't listen to music and hear the music when I am working. Chilling with some friends I can but not when I am working.

If you get the time Pete, could you post a pic of the muffler mod? I’m reluctant to get medieval on mine as it’s so new, so a pointer would help.

Never done it myself as I have a 150. Had a lone of one that had been done for a few days & was very impressed

Back