Rock climbing gyms

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Ya ever tried one?

I just climbed in a rock gym each of the last 2 weekends, very fun!

Very different imo from tree climbing because rope is not involved except in catching falls.

5.6 was challenging but doable, I got one 5.8. Makes you realize how extremely difficult the climbing is that good climbers do on the reg e.g. 5.10 and above

I went once about 15 years ago. They had maybe 50 different stations set up all around the inside of this warehouse. I went over to the 'pro' corner where they had the toughest 12 stations. Climbed all 12 and left. Never had the desire to go back. I know you can make it tougher only using certain numbered holds but I didn't mess with that. Just grabbed whatever was handy, sort of like in real life.

There's one about a mile away, we went on a rainy day.
Cool activity and good exercise to do with the kids and seemed really safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, lotta kids there. Seems a great way to keep em off their phones

not a good comparison to real rock. Use it as a training tool. Don't fool yourself that your a "pro" with gym ratings.

getting on the sharp end of a rope is where its at.

try the real thing.....

not a good comparison to real rock. Use it as a training tool. Don't fool yourself that your a "pro" with gym ratings.

getting on the sharp end of a rope is where its at.

try the real thing.....

Chances are I'd love the real thing- nature, challenge, fitness, adventure. Not gonna happen though. I work 6+ days/week. The rock gym is 10 min from my house. Its fun. I aint thinking about being a pro.

I'd love to frig around on one!!!

Check it out!!

There is a new gym across the county. Decent. Good fun.

Been to gyms since I was 19, and started outdoor at 17, but not again until 23. Couple gyms for a couple years. Climbing indoors can make you physically strong.

Climbing outdoor is way different. On real rock, anchor bolts aren't 5' apart. Mental strength is built when you're standing well above a permanent anchor bolt, or a couple chunks of metal stuffed in crack.

Indoor or outdoor climbing will both improve tree climbing skills, IMO.

Agree!

Gawd I hate those top rope auto belay devices where you just let go and they lower you down. Horrible feeling waiting for them to catch you. Totally counter intuitive coming from trees background.

I always wanted to check out High Point when I lived in Chattanooga. Climbing the exterior of a glass building seemed a lot neater than an interior fake rock wall!
serveimage-1.jpg

Cool walls!

Btw:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TY_KxE-wiL4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When in collage and a few years after I climbed regularly at a gym that was owned and operated by my roommate at the time. It was called Solid Rock Sports in Turner Hall in Milwaukee. I think the walls are still there been many years since I have been there.
I will second the sentiment that rock gyms are nothing like real rock.

I love Rock gyms, they're just too damn expensive for me, nearest one is 40 min away also.

Also, be careful if bouldering walls. My sister is a rock climbing nut, a few years ago she fell off a bouldering wall and her foot slipped btw the mats. As she fell her fibula dislocated and punched through the skin. Pretty nasty, but she still climbs several times a week. Top rope is super safe though, and a bunch of fun

I love Rock gyms, they're just too damn expensive for me, nearest one is 40 min away also.

Also, be careful if bouldering walls. My sister is a rock climbing nut, a few years ago she fell off a bouldering wall and her foot slipped btw the mats. As she fell her fibula dislocated and punched through the skin. Pretty nasty, but she still climbs several times a week. Top rope is super safe though, and a bunch of fun

My gym is affordable- $70/mo for 1, extra $35 for 2nd family member.

I was reading online, said Bouldering is the #1 cause of injury in the gyms, just like what happened to your sis.

Back when I wore a younger mans clothes I climbed rock and gyms were just becoming a thing. They were cool for training and up here they were nice for the winter. But yah the sharp end is a whole other ballgame. Gyms are fun and good activity for sure. Much better than couch surfing. At one point I dreamed of having a wall at home. But that ship has sailed long ago for me. Lol.

Good on yah for getting out and trying it Cory. I bet you improve quickly if you keep at it a bit.

At the local machinery auction a few months ago, I bid on a portable rock wall. It folded up on a trailer and had two faces with a belay line for each. I quit bidding at $2,500; it sold for $7,500. I thought it would be fun for the kids but I didn't want to spend that much on it. It was pretty big, about 40 feet or so.

Yea there's usually a few like that at county fairs and amusement parks. Some places that rent out the big bounce houses have them at birthday parties and what-not.

The county fair always has one set up with a 100$ bill at the top. Gotta follow their route and it's pretty heavily rigged in their favor.

Lol that one looks like a titty. Did it have to be flesh colored?

Seriously, that's awesome man. You built it?

Back