APTA2.0 - The 64 Special

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
For those of you that are not tired of reading about my adventures with compressed air. It still needs a few finishing touches and a another coat of paint. To do still, attach the sight to front of the barrel, and install a shroud around the air-control valve to prevent it from getting broken.

edit: <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nDNUZqy8RIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_20121013_185816.jpg
IMG_20121013_185804.jpg
IMG_20121013_165857.jpg
IMG_20121013_162526.jpg

IMG_20121013_122651.jpg
IMG_20121013_122643.jpg
IMG_20121013_122619.jpg
IMG_20121013_115039.jpg

I had to edit the title and delete some pictures. My friend Chris is a bit public shy!

Attachments

• IMG_20121013_131759.jpg
    IMG_20121013_131759.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 49
"once more into the breach dear friends" It looks good but heavy, but then again it may have to be.

Don't bring that to the airport. :)

What's the volume on that thing? You know you'll need to make a video now...

I have a job next door to the white house and would love to use that there:lol::lol:

remember I put in an order, I love that I get to harass the sh#t outa somebody else, when is it going to be ready, when is it going to be ready??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will hopefully get a video together soon. This model was built for a guy who already paid for it, I may not get to do a good video before I send it off, however I am going to ask if he wants to wait for the 2nd one off the line. I feel I could make it look a bit more refined, better holes and welds and such. It took so damn long to make I dont see it ever being very profitable, but it was fun. We are working on ways to improve the production time to see if it can be viable as something to sell.

It shot the bag really accurately and very high.

As far as capacity goes, my calculations put it at about 300 cubic inches of air. It takes longer to pump with the bike pump by far but seems much more effective at lower PSI.

I am still working that out. Chances are it will be pretty pricey and I imagine only the gear obsessed tim-taylors like me will want it :)

The materials arent that bad its the labor I need to refine now.

I dont know if I have illusions of mass produced items and a spot in the Sherrill mag...

What do you guys think seems like a fair value, notwithstanding the material cost or labor costs.

Sherrill sells the big shot, sans poles, for $100

Just looking at it what do you think is a fair value or range?

That one took me and Chris all day to make, hopefully I can get that time down. I am doing my best to keep the materials cost less than $100.

It doesnt really matter how long it takes me to make or what the materials cost though in determining a market value. People are going to look at it and decide what its worth in their minds. I havent shipped it yet but I imagine thats going to be quite a bear. I dont see it costing less than $300 in a retail market, I dont know if people would see that value in it.

The first one has to get shipped to land-O-fruit-loops, aka California, hopefully the anti-gun-nuts there let it cross the border!!! :lol:

I still have every intention of building one, Nick. Just haven't gotten around to it. I had tendonitis acting up in my right elbow last year. It persisted for about 10 months. That was really my biggest prod last year, as it was really affecting my throwing. I had to break the BigShot out on several jobs. An "aim-able" air cannon sounds very appealing to me. Tried attaching a laser sight yet? :P

Dont even bother to ask what people want to pay. I want to pay $20:lol: but realize now after making a couple of things how expensive trying to make stuff is. Remember you probably have something like a day into that build, how much can you make in a day doing tree work?? In the end even though you may enjoy doing it at first, economically it doesnt makes sense unless some children in vietnam are making them for 27 cents a unit...

Thats why I ordered mine first before you figured it out. When is mine going to ship?? Is it ready yet, is it ready yet:P

Don't forget to include dealer markup in your retail pricing. An easy rule of thumb is take the cost to build it (including labor, overhead, etc) and double it for retail cost. That's roughly the minimum to be a viable.

Remember you probably have something like a day into that build, how much can you make in a day doing tree work?? In the end even though you may enjoy doing it at first, economically it doesnt makes sense unless some children in vietnam are making them for 27 cents a unit...

Thats the problem I am going to have... I can make more money chipping brush!

Don't forget to include dealer markup in your retail pricing. An easy rule of thumb is take the cost to build it (including labor, overhead, etc) and double it for retail cost. That's roughly the minimum to be a viable.

Right?! Like I said, I dont know if its gonna be viable as a big retail thing.. I dont see people paying $500!!! But hey, if I can streamline the production and make a few for people that really want them that doesnt sound that bad.

I will have to rely on chipping brush and raking to make millionaire status I guess.

...I love that I get to harass the sh#t outa somebody else, when is it going to be ready, when is it going to be ready??

Hahaha!

Prepare yourself, Nick. I am already working on dozens of very elaborate and totally impractical ways to improve it. :lol:

David

Considering the generosity you have shown to me and to AdamP we actually got together and pooled finances to make you one up Dave. Its a 1.0 model, as you indicated to me you liked best in a earlier discussion.

I am finishing it up and should ship it out this week. I lost your address so PM it to me would ya!

... me and to AdamP we actually got together and pooled finances to make you one up Dave. Its a 1.0 model, as you indicated to me you liked best in a earlier discussion...I am finishing it up and should ship it out this week.

Whoa! How cool is that!! PM is on the way.

David

Back