APTA2.0 - The 64 Special

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did the height tests today. 150' no problem!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nDNUZqy8RIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/nDNUZqy8RIY

Also nailed down model names. The new one (shoulder fire) is the 'APTA - 64 Special', the original model will be the 'APTA - Model 85'.

Now I just need to work out instructions and warnings.

Shipping is going to run me $35 give or take.

I never used PVC except for my very first build. It promptly exploded in my face so I didnt even get time to publicize it.

I highly discourage PVC mixed with compressed air. While I admit that PVC can fill the bill if built right it will always make you shy away as you pump it and doesnt have the durability of steel.

The weakest link in the APTA is rated at 400psi. My maximum operating pressure is listed at 200 psi, which no bike pump could even get to and most compressors would have trouble exceeding at around 300 cubic inches of capacity.

While being heavy it has a really sturdy feel to it and the durability is inherent!

If you decide you want one I will make it up for you quick as I can. Just let me know :)

I could put a steel picatinny or weaver rail on it no problem. If you wanted something special you can just ship it to me and I will tack it on there.

Do you have an air connection on your truck?

Nick, would it be worth it to put a bypass or blow by valve on there so the general idiot doesn't somehow get it past 400 psi ? Can I get mine in woodland camo? I am sending you my Leupold scope as well so be careful please.

I was just joshing about the rail but I want one for sure.

No air connection on truck but this will be the excuse I need to put an air tank on the chipper........

Im excited about this man, Ive been wanting to play with this idea for years but have been preoccupied. The big shot gets the job done OK but frustrates me too, espescially on frosty mornings. When we have a real tall shot to make I will bust out the cross-bow in a second but always feel "weird" about possible ramifications of shooting a steel bolt at 100FPS:lol: cannt figure out why.

Anyways when you are ready to ship let me know and Ill give you my UPS #. No hurry whenever suits, I been waiting years so longer wont hurt

Is Mine ready yet??

Bud,

I will likely add one of these to future models: http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=235-psi-safety-valve for the exact reasons you stated. In the meantime I can only hope that my customer from the Buzz doesnt frack it up. I feel confident that Dave will keep it under control and those are the only two models that will be sent out without the blowoffs.

No great loss if Jomoco's explodes.:lol:

Seriously though, a good idea. So how about the woodland camo?

If Jomoco ordered one I would fill it with concrete and then act like I had no idea why it didnt work.

As far as Camo, you can order some of this http://www.camodipkit.com/ and I will forgo the truckbed liner that I am using now and ship it unpainted.

I feel pretty bad about the paint quality on the two units I produced so far, but I am not a painter. Other than a DIY thing, from watching the gun shows it sounds like a paint job like that would cost a small fortune.

First thing I thought of for an air supply would be one of my scuba tanks....the small ones are only 2250 psi. How's that gonna work? (the blow-by sounds like a good idea:D)

Re: cost...when you asked what you might charge...my first thought was at least $300. I would seriously consider getting one if it was under $500. My homemade big shot works fine but it needs new rubbers now, approx. 2 years on this set. It's a hassle replacing them. Your APTA 64 looks like a serious tool that could make setting a line quick.

Sometimes I can set my line with my homemade BS first time..sometimes takes 20 minutes. Your APTA should really be able to improve that.

Your unit might also be useful for rescue teams that need to set lines over rivers...our search/rescue team has a real official Big Shot for shooting an initial line over a river...then pull the main line over (same as we do in trees).

I know a high angle rescue team that used a rocket to shoot a line over Tallulah Gorge (where Wallenda walked) to set their rescue ropes (they ferried Stokes baskets back and forth over the 750 foot gorge). It would be interesting to see how far you could launch a line at higher pressure and a 45 degree angle.

So were the tests conclusive?

When I built the first models I wondered how high will it go. Blasted it straight up and said pretty damn high! Shot it over some trees and said, 'How high was that tree?'

This was my attempt to actually quantify it. Did it work?

Gary,

It will be less than $500 for sure. PM me and let me know if you are really interested and we can talk about getting you one of the early prototype models.

As far as blasting at a 45 degree angle it goes pretty dang far. It isnt 'recommended' :) but you can shoot about anything that fits down the pipe. If its to small leaves or a plastic bag make great wadding. You could probly hunt squirrels with it using pea gravel.

I will do a 'canyon crossing' test with the next one I build. These are all wrapped and ready to ship.

You'd need to make that devise much longer for us old guys to be able to see the end of it.

:lol:
and :cry: too, 'cause I'm more and more involved.
Put a longer piece of tubbing at the outlet if you want that the old guys can aim properly the target.
it's like one has to lengthen his arms, because this one can no more read the papers.
Very sad indeed.

The barrel is still the full 24" in length. The tip only protrudes about 7" from the end of the compression chamber but the rest is set inside. The projectile/throw bag seats in almost 23" to the crossbar which is a stopper to prevent it from going around the bend.

The blade sight is roughly 27-28" (71cm) from your shoulder when aiming, coincidentally thats the minimum ATF allowed lenght for a shotgun in the US, although at 24" the barrel is 6" over the minimum 18" length.

There is also the original version (Model 85), which is over 6' tall and offers a kneeling point of aim.

I actually read some really interesting info on the laws in california since I happen to be sending my first model to LALA land.

"***Laws in California ***
These are the laws for this assembly in California, it's complicated, but legal.

Potato/Slug-Guns/Zip-Guns that use combustion, such as hairspray, propane, or butane, are illegal, since they are a non-licensed manufactured firearm. Using compressed air avoids this rule, and there is a second condition this assembly does not meet: fixed ammunition. A fixed round is a round that contains propellant, casing, and bullet all in one container. For this, there is no case, and the propellant is contained in the rear chamber, not on the slug, thus, it isn't a fixed round. Under ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Federal Law) it is legal.

Under California state law, there is a law which could be charged against you, called destructive device law. Any round over 50 caliber (which slugs definitely are) is a destructive device, if it is used with the intent to destroy something that would be an illegal act, like targeting a person or a car. Shooting a wooden target or dirt is not malicious intent. There is another technicality, smooth-bore (non-rifled) weapons that are muzzle loading (which this slug cannon is), are not destructive devices. This effectively puts it in the same legal category as an air-soft gun, despite them being very different (though air-soft guns are not muzzle loading).

Now realistically, when this fires at 150 PSI, the round whistles, a ton of water vapor pours out the barrel, and an echo is heard a half-mile away, which many people would report as a rifle or shotgun being fired. Most police will be very cautious, but likely tell you to stop and go do something else since they received complaints. Some police may confiscate the assembly or even arrest you, whereupon you go to holding, and will be let out after an hour or two and get your cannon back. In court, you will definitely be o.k. However, this is a huge hassle, and no one wants to go to a holding cell. Within a city, you will likely violate noise limitations or public-disturbance laws, which you can be fined for legitimately.

ATF laws [Title 18 United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 44, S 921(a)(3)] and [26 U.S.C., Chapter 53, S 5845] should be printed out. They define the classification of a firearm.

California state laws [CPC 12090-12094]; [CPC 12085-12086]; [CPC 12020] discuss the rules and classifications that relate to this assembly.

Simply put, it's legal in California, many cops think all potato guns are illegal since most are combustion, go fire it out in a rural area to avoid noise laws and attention. Print them all out, and keep them with you in case cops show up, and be friendly. CPC 12020 is the one that most police will be suspecting against you, and strongly emphasize that the assembly is compressed air.

Whew*, lots of information.
***End California Law***"

I reead it on the net so its gotta be true right??

Back