Little problem

brendonv

Tree Hugger
So I never got around to replacing that bearing on my 460 I had asked about a while ago. The saw was running like a bat outta hell this morning, then one cut and then on it just kept feeling like it was draaaaaging. My 361 was out cutting it when Greg was cutting the butt up. It was sharp too.

I'm guessing clutch and all those components?

Stupid me. :evil:

The clutch bearing is only in use when the saw is idling. When you're cutting, the clutch and crankshaft are both spinning together so the clutch bearing isn't doing anything.

Unless the clutch is worn out and slipping.

Is the sprocket worn, or the oiler malfunctioning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just went out and took it apart and cleaned everything up. I was also having a problem with the off trigger not engaging all the way, there was sawdust packed underneath it.

Everything looked fine, checked the bar, clutch, cleaned out the clutch drum thingy, had some oil in it. I'm going to order the sprocket and bearing anyways. I didn't try cutting with it again, it started raining.

Maybe I am imagining it all, which is possible.:/:

I haven't seen your other post about the bearing. What makes you think the bearing is bad?

I don't know, I started a thread about a humming noise and they said maybe the bearing. I'll admit, I am a little more lax on chainsaw maintance than I should be. The saw has been the main saw since I started in business 3? years ago.

Clutch bearings rarely fail in my experience. Have you replaced the sprocket, or is it still original? That will cause a lot of drag. That or a worn, slipping clutch.

I'm sure you did it, but I'll ask just in case. Did you line up the groove on the drum with the little arm for the oil pump that sticks out by the clutch?

IMO you might hold off on buying a new clutch assembly until you can pinpoint a more definite problem. I've never seen one go bad unless it came apart into a dozen pieces. They aren't cheap, either.

I checked the sprocket and bar, sprocket spins free, and the bar has no pinches. I'll have to check the drum like wiley mentions, from what I remember I did not notice a grove while cleaning.

I'll have to stick it in some wood again later too, but its RAINING right now, AGAIN.

I don't know, I started a thread about a humming noise and they said maybe the bearing. I'll admit, I am a little more lax on chainsaw maintance than I should be. The saw has been the main saw since I started in business 3? years ago.

This from the man who waxes his chipper??
:P
:lol:

Used to keep the saws clean, then I've gotten to a point where f-it, its a saw. I keep the chipper and trucks nice because I paid ALOT of money for them, and want to keep them around a while, looking good to boot.

Back