Ohio winter GTG

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Saturday we had a little shindig down by Columbus ,probably about 30-35 people and more than likely 150 saws . Nice weather which was surprising for Jan .

It's kinda nice to compare stuff see what people are doing as far as tweeking saws etc .

There were some fast saws and not so fast saws ,old ones ,shiny ones and not so shiny .

One of particular note was a very nicely rebuilt and ported 076 Stihl done by Brad S .Usually these things are just plain powerful .This one was all that plus amazingly fast .

Baileys sent some door prizes which was very nice of them .

Attachments

• Winter GTG  09 003.jpg
    Winter GTG 09 003.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Winter GTG  09 004.jpg
    Winter GTG 09 004.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Winter GTG  09 001.jpg
    Winter GTG 09 001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 349825377.jpg
    349825377.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 82
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not really ,they just sent some stuff .Stihl ,elasto start handles ,a bunch of air filters ,pistons you name it .Even a bunch of mini posters of Jerry B in the top of that huge redwood , cast on the foot and all .

Last year in Indiana Amicks sent a bunch of stuff in fact Tony himself even came up for the festivities .

It's nice of them to do this stuff .When you think about it ,it's also good PR because it's saw people that buy the stuff .

I wish I could have made it, I was busy making firewood :( [or :) because I had a great day!]

The wife even went out this time, that's real cool. All this time she thought the MS170 was "her saw" - I think I just lost the 036 Pro... :(

An 036 is not a bad saw at all .

Fact is I might just hang a 36 top end on an 034 I have that's been cooked .They ran it with all the flocking sucked out of the air filter .:(

I'll know more after I peel it down to the bones for an autopsy .I might just need a piston .Those cylinders are much tougher than most people think they are . Whatever ,I'll make another little sceramer out of it or at least attempt to .;)

If I were a betting man I'd almost say that faulty air filters have been the death of more of them than running lean .

I love mine too. I think I want to try or have some one try to open it up a bit and make her scream a lil better. Thinkin I might try to see if it has a more open muffler first in the parts list ;)

Sure looks like you were having some fun Al with them big saws in the bigger wood :D.

I heard one old gear drive from the 50's about wore you out in the cut with a very very dull chain that some amusing young-in had brought with him ;).
I was told you even showed the young guy what a file was and how to use it on his chain :lol:. Then you broke out a mac gear drive from the 60's that flat out flew threw the same wood 8).

Someday we will meet and have a :\: beer, when we dont have to worry about driving.

Wow ,the word travels fast .:lol:

Ha that old Sears gear drive would have cut faster had the chain been on backwards . The guy had tried to file it but with a 3/16" file .1/2" chain takes a 1/4" file .After I filed his chain about half fast ,so to speak I gave him a new 1/4" file .

My old Mac 650 gear drive was made in 1966 ,about the last of the old school big chain deals . The engine on that thing will easily crank on at around 10 thou maybe more . That old hunk of cast aluminum has surprised a lot of people . I don't think too many in that crowd had ever seen a geardrive run like that one .

Beer is always good .;)

I do like it. I had some bugs to work out of it, but have it pretty much dialed in now. I'm starting to really like it. Dang thing had an 024 mastere switch spring/ground tang on it when I got it (1124 P/N I think) - the silly thing would NOT find it's true detents! Drove me buggy for a while. My filter is starting to fray in a few spots, I better replace it before it ruins the P/C.

An 036 is not a bad saw at all .

Fact is I might just hang a 36 top end on an 034 I have that's been cooked .They ran it with all the flocking sucked out of the air filter .:(

I'll know more after I peel it down to the bones for an autopsy .I might just need a piston .Those cylinders are much tougher than most people think they are . Whatever ,I'll make another little sceramer out of it or at least attempt to .;)

If I were a betting man I'd almost say that faulty air filters have been the death of more of them than running lean .

Looks like a fun gathering, Al, would love to go to an event like that.

I dropped an 036 jug into my 034 that someone gave me, and ported it along with lightening the piston. As you mention, excellent cylinders on those, really well made. I gained like 1500 rpms, but the torque increase is outstanding. It's turned out to be an excellent work saw for me. I'd like to put a larger air filter on it, but don't know exactly what would fit. I just clean the stock one on it now, about every gas up. It does load up pretty quick, like all of them in that series of saws.

I just read about that one over on another place. Ohio Racing gtg April 18th. 20 mins from Mansfield going toward Ashland off Rt #30.

I made that one last year.
Will try and drive up from KY again.

Ohio Spring racing GTG April 18th

I went and copy and paste this here.

Just a heads up for you guys. There will be another racing type GTG on April 18th. The primary location will be Derek's (TwinTurboRam) place depending on weather or his plans, same as last year. The back up location will be Cut4Funs or WJ's place. PM me for the address. It won't be posted in the forum.

This time we will go 3 cuts in 8x8 or 10x10 wood. Hotstart, saws on ground, hands on wood, or hotstart over wood. Run what you brung. Classes same as last time.

8x8 Wood
Bumble Bees 0-40 (Top Handle saws only)
0-40 Rear Handle
0-51
0-65

10x10 Wood
0-81
0-100
100+
Piped saws
Vintage class (1979 and earlier saws)

Make your own 3/8 050 60 DL chain for a chain race on a stock saw for 2 cuts.

So get them saws ready. All are welcome to come and join in. Food supplied will be ribs and brats. Any drinks or chips etc will be up to you. Thanks and hope to see you in the spring.

Back