Lastest invention: Introducing the "Batsaw"

Arkilogue

TreeHouser
If you have tried Gomboy's "two handed" folding saw, the Longboy and were extremely disappointed with the blade rigidity as I was, then I have the ultimate solution for you: Take a Silky or ARS blade and pole head, and shape a pony saw handle to fit in the pole hole. These blades are very rigid, won't bend completely out of shape on the push stroke and they come with a plastic scabbard. The Silky blade has an integrated top and bottom scythe for ripping vines and under-cutting small branches. This is the one I use.

IMAG0193.jpg

I call it the "Batsaw" because it looks completely ostentatious yet it's highly tactically capable. I modded the tip to include a couple points for good hooking purchase. The pony saw handle required a little bit of shaping and the drilling of a vertical hole. This went through an internal metal shank in this particular (old style) Corona pony saw handle. I can even hang my full weight on it, something of course I would never do in a tree but it's nice to know that it's strong enough and never coming out on it's own.

IMAG0195.jpg

With two firm hands on the tool, I can buzz through a large limb as fast as I want without worrying if the blade will go all origami on me or slip out, as the top and bottom scythes keep it from leaving the groove and protects my hand from punching the limb

Exploded view:

IMAG0196.jpg

Uses: First off, heck yeah this thing is dangerous. In my meager 13 years of professional tree climbing, the hand held razor saw has drawn the most blood. Usually running down the fibers in coconut paper to the fingers holding it taunt. This thing has a couple more blades and points to mind. The top and bottom blades I use for ripping and punching off suckers, the top hook points I can use for a climb assisting branch/log grab, 2 feet beyond my natural reach...great for horizontal peels. It stows in scabbard on the chainsaw clip under my chainsaw, which is stowed on the caratool above. The plastic scabbard and metal pre-handle protect my leg/pants and equipment from the swinging teeth of the chainsaw.

Taking out the handle and switching the head back to the pole is easier than taking it off the pole in the first place. I also took a swath of industrial velcro and can stick the scabbard and full hand-tool directly to my climbing bag. Ready for go! The only thing left to do is paint the pre-handle fluorescent red so that it doesn't disappear into the night...:laughing6:

Have fun, work like a boss and be careful!

Back