Possible re-awakening of slumbering 048.

Burnham

Woods walker
What's the skinny on these old beasts? I have an opportunity to mess around with one...is it worth it? Looks pretty nice, not beat at all, it's an ooold FS saw.

76 cc, 17 lb. powerhead...heavy mother.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Odd sized old veteran. Parts are probably hard to find. 042 parts sometimes fit, I believe. Like you mentioned, heavy by today's standards. Probably slower rpm, but a torquer.

Still, it would be cool to get it smooth running if you can. A good back-up, and to pull out from time to time. I bet those young guys you guide, would like to use it.

Jay

Here is a pic of a really nice one, but not mine I am sad to say:

0481.jpg

0482.jpg

The 042, 048 is series 1117 and was made from 1976 to 1985. This saw has a reputation for shaking a lot, as in bolts coming loose and such.
Compared to modern saws it is a boat anchor. I love any old STIHL but when it is time to cut I grab the newest saw I have for the size of wood to be cut, since it will start easier, have a chain brake and anti-vibe, and weight less than any of the older saws of similar displacement. The old saws are just for the occasional cut for grins and giggles!:D
And since you probably won't want to use it send it to me so it can have a distinguished place on the shelf next to my 040 and 041!!!:)

That's a beautiful streamlined looking saw! I love the rounded design of the those older Stihls, like the 028 and 038 as well. Darn boxy looking things these days.

They aren't bad ,plenty of power ,a tad slower than say an 046 .My souped up 038 Mag will walk away from a stock one . The oilers aren't the best but no Stihl oiler impresses me .

Reported problems ,only 4 cap scews holding the case together ,possible case leaks .The real early ones could be held together with slotted head screws ,real dumb .So might be the anti vibs ,just as dumb .

I suppose 18 or so pounds might seem like a lot but trust me after a life time of reed Macs ,that is light as a feather;)

Attachments

• old saws 004.jpg
    old saws 004.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 131
Yes, I have use one. Bought it new at the Redwood Saw Shop south of town in 1985. Vern Piver was running the digs then. Got to say that saw had every quality you could ask for. Number one was an adjustable carb you could lean out to get chain speed no others had at the time. The only weakness was the mounts, and the air cleaner number. I couldn't do much about fixing the mounts in the damn thing but I did manage to tweak the air cleaner to last longer between having to clean it.

That saw had a sound to it that every faller in Big River would ask me, "WTF are you running up there?" It never let me down until the mounts just totally gave out.

It never let me down until the mounts just totally gave out.
--and they are a black hearted beech to remove with those freaking slotted screws . Traveled that road myself .

The 048 in the previous pic with the 32" bar and full wrap was a west coast faller .When I got it every mount was busted .

:lol: Oh you just never know about these things .I'll check the thing .I think the saw shop logo is still on it ,could be .

Oh ,let my futher add ,that old saw will pull that 32" buried in oak ,no prob except the whimpy oiler .

It's little bro ,the 042 is about a carbon copy . Got one of them too ,not bad if it runs .

The damned thing really annoyed me the last I used it ,rebuilt the carb ,ran great .Two months later ,no putt .I put that rotten SOB on the shelf as punishment until I get over my pout .That was several years ago ,still pissed .:what:

Yes it is cool to hear you guys talk from experience of actually using these saws. All I ever got to do was work on them and cut a few biscuits...

Brian,

I gave the saw to a guy that wanted to use it as a Go-Kart engine for his kid. Never heard a report after that.

Got to say though that saw was one the pipeyest top end saws I ever used. Before or since. Only because, after that, the company started limiting the carbs.

I was at a friends shop tonight and spied a nice example of an 048AV. He'd left it in a barn for near twenty years. He cleaned the carb and has been dicing up 48" hard maple rounds with it. He also has an 056 Mag II, somewheres.

One of my 048s' came from a saw shop in Washington,a trade in with a spun bearing .According to Stihl the only way to repair it was to replace both case halves .Pshaw,they don't know Al Smith .;)

I raised the metal on the bearing pocket ,used shrink fit compound and stuck it back together ,no problem what so ever .

I wasn't sure if it would work or not but it did .That one however needs rings which is on my list of things to do .Runs fine ,just lossing it's edge a tad bit .

048 ignition

I found something interesting regarding the SEM type of ignition used on this model plus the 042 .This is a self advancing ignition .At 8000 rpms it is set at 27 ahead .According to the literature I read about it as the rpms goes up so does the timng advance .How far ,it didn't say .

I do know that for example most Macs are set at 26 ahead ,static .They run better at about 30-34 ahead .The problem is you can't get them started without almost breaking a wrist .

This model of Stihl ,with this type coil starts real easy but revs strong ,partly do to the advance .Other models may in fact also auto advance but none of my literature on Stihl indicates so .

This saw also could be equipted with a Bosc system using an external electronic trigger device .Not much is available on how they work from my reading .

Both of these systems are rare I might add in case anybody asks .Limited to old stock,E-bay or the obscure corner of someones shop . If I would venture a guess most 048s' died for lack of coil . MFG supply listed one at one time but I'm not so sure they still do .What could be retofitted I haven't a clue .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It lives, it lives!!

Flat azz amazing, folks. This thing has been shelved for at least 10 years, I have on good authority. I found it in my inheirited equipment/tool shed when I took this roads management job at Zigzag. No bar/chain on it, no sparkplug in it. Half a tank of who only knows how old saw mix in the tank...

I drained the fuel and gave it some fresh, put in a new plug, looked at the fuel filter and shrugged...looked ok :). Cleaned the old air filter, which is in good shape.

It fired on the 4th pull. Went to half choke and it fired and ran on the next pull. Let it warm 30 seconds or so, pushed it up to run position and she idled along sweet as a baby.

I spun it up and it never hesitated, ran right up to 4 cycling and felt smooth doing it.

Wow :D.

Hunted up a 28 inch Windor Speedtip bar and a decent full skip chisel chain.

Double wow :lol:.

A-effing-mazing. Cuts like no tomorrow and sounds FINE.

It needs the outside dogs and the nylon chain catch inside the cluth cover is broken, but I am stunned.

This is fun 8).

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    485.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 18
Oh that is in excellent shape .I didn't even know they made a super in the 048 model . Good ,good old cutter ,that's a keeper .:)

Back