Possible re-awakening of slumbering 048.

I did a quick inspection tonight. On the bottom of the handle I can read "9 1117 791 1005". The head seems really clean. The only part that wasn't completely clean aluminum was a small semicircle under the intake. There is a small 2" black wire next to and under the kill switch that is broken at the ring terminal. I epoxied the brass lug of the kill switch wire into the choke lever because the small retaining notch is broken. The bar has all of the paint worn off, but I was able to make out "SUPER TIP" in large letters and the part of another word "TSUM" was all I could decipher. It does not have a sprocket. It's solid. The chain has a cutter every OTHER link and has 3 stamped on it and 01 on the other side.

I'll clean it up here pretty soon and get some before and afters...

Magnus , I was looking back for those pics you had posted of your modest collection ... What thread were they in ? ... or maybe please re-post as we have many newbs. Still think on the right day w helpers you could have Guinness World Record for the most running Chainsaws at one time ever.

I did a quick inspection tonight. On the bottom of the handle I can read "9 1117 791 1005". The head seems really clean. The only part that wasn't completely clean aluminum was a small semicircle under the intake. There is a small 2" black wire next to and under the kill switch that is broken at the ring terminal. I epoxied the brass lug of the kill switch wire into the choke lever because the small retaining notch is broken. The bar has all of the paint worn off, but I was able to make out "SUPER TIP" in large letters and the part of another word "TSUM" was all I could decipher. It does not have a sprocket. It's solid. The chain has a cutter every OTHER link and has 3 stamped on it and 01 on the other side.

I'll clean it up here pretty soon and get some before and afters...

Tsumura. Japanese, excellent quality.

I took it to my local dealer today to have them look at it. They said it would need a new case to have the chain brake work since this one doesn't have the indentions for the springs and levers, etc. The guy that works on them said he'd only worked on a handful of 048s and that this one looked to have a new jug based on the color of the aluminum. He said it looked like it had been taken care of, and that the bar was a pretty good one, like I'd read here. He offered me $325 cash for it. I told him I was going to use it a few times and decide if I wanted to keep it. He said if it was his, he'd keep it. They just don't come around that often, but if I cleaned it up and put it on Craigslist, not to take less than $450 for it. Looks like I did pretty decent on it.

If needed. I have a 042 048 crank and crankcase here on the shelf. I just been parting the thing out.

Whats left

s048042parts 002.jpg s048042parts 004.jpg s048042parts 006.jpg s048042parts 008.jpg

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms, I have a fuel/oil question. The manual calls for 40:1 mix. The new Stihl Ultra? Oil mixes at 50:1. I'm sure oil has come a ways since 1981. Should I mix a gallons worth of oil with 8/10ths of a gallon and run it at 40:1?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd just run it at 50:1...or a smidge less fuel to oil, as that's what I tend to do on all my saw mix.

I usually mix a little less than a gallon of gas (never under 0.9 gallon, never over 0.95 gallon) with a gallon spec bottle of Stihl Ultra. Or something similar percentage-wise if mixing for 2 or 5 gallons of final fuel mix.

All my personally owned Stihl's seem to thrive on this...200T, 200RH, 361, 044, 064. My pre-retirement 460 and 066 also seemed more than happy with that treatment. Lots of hours on all of the aforementioned.

I ran the original 048 that this thread was started about at this mix and it ran happy as a clam for many tanks with no problems. I traded it in on a new 660...maybe one of the less wise moves I've made in my life. The 660 was a dog compared to the 066 before it, a saw I truly loved...I'd even bet that old 048 would cut right close to even with that new gen 660, stock...which is a little sad, isn't it? :) I got a bit more out of that 660 after I changed it over to a dual port muffler that I opened up a little...but it always seemed weaker than it should have been, compared with the previous generation of similar displacement.

I run all my saws on a close to 50:1 mix, 2 gallons of mid grade to a 2 1/2 gal can of oil.

My oldest 020 is 76 or close vintage, still kicks arse & takes names.

Fwiw, this is done because my ancient gas can is 2 gallon. I refuse to buy one of those new-fangled safety cans.

Ed

I took it to my local dealer today to have them look at it. They said it would need a new case to have the chain brake work since this one doesn't have the indentions for the springs and levers, etc. The guy that works on them said he'd only worked on a handful of 048s and that this one looked to have a new jug based on the color of the aluminum. He said it looked like it had been taken care of, and that the bar was a pretty good one, like I'd read here. He offered me $325 cash for it. I told him I was going to use it a few times and decide if I wanted to keep it. He said if it was his, he'd keep it. They just don't come around that often, but if I cleaned it up and put it on Craigslist, not to take less than $450 for it. Looks like I did pretty decent on it.

Is it possible you could get a photo of this 048 without indentions? I would like to see that and compare.
Find it hard to believe they cast different casings for this reason as the cost of this is pretty huge.

Sure Magnus. I'll post some pictures once I get it disassembled for cleaning. Thanks for the fuel information. I appreciate all of the info I get from this site. It's a great resource. I had a couple chunks of wood laying around and decided to let it eat a little last night. The 18" pine never slowed it down. I had a large 24"-26" Sassafras stump that been sitting for several years that finally got removed last night. That saw is no joke. It's heavy, but man...it flat pulls a chain through wood! I know sassafras is soft, but that 20" bar was buried, and it never slowed down. It sure sounds different than any saw I've run before. It's got an "I'm not here to play." tone to it. Sounds like a dirt bike on the pipe.

It sure sounds different than any saw I've run before. It's got an "I'm not here to play." tone to it.

I worked Katrina and was using my Stihl 290 to get a big pine off a building. When it got dull they brought me a Husqvarna 365 that an old timer had loaned us to take to do Hurricane clean up. That was the first time we used it.

As soon as I bumped the throttle I knew something was different. The word "beast" flashed through my mind. When I started cutting with that 365 I could not believe the power compared to my 290.

Your description makes me want to get an 048. My current big saws are MS290 and MS 650. Seems the 048 would fill a good niche.

Attachments

• IMG_8366 (3).JPG
    IMG_8366 (3).JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8229 (2).JPG
    IMG_8229 (2).JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 48
Well, if you make it up to Ohio, you've got one on loan as long as you'd like to use it! It definitely makes me a little more cautious while in running it. It's got more power than I'm used to, and I know it. It sounds so good though! I'm looking for bigger stuff to cut just so I can run it!

Back to fuel... From the horses mouth:

Hello Mr. Lane,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail.

Your 048AV will run okay on a 50:1 fuel mix ratio as long as you are using STIHL brand oil. Back when the 048AV was being offered, 40:1 was the required ratio because we were allowed to run our engines a lot richer. With new CARB/EPA regulations in effect, we are required to run our engines on a lot leaner profile, so the oil has been improved in order to help meet that requirement. The 50:1 mix ratio can be used in all STIHL machines, past and present when using STIHL brand oils.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Best regards,
Wayne Lemmond
Technical Service Representative
STIHL Inc.

This is as far as I got tonight. I only had a few minutes to wipe it down. I'll dig in a little farther tomorrow hopefully. I doubt those pictures help any.

Not to see the casting, but great to see saw.
It is possible to see what is what under this cover. Bar plate first, then cover. If you blow with compressed air, try not to push crap in, rather suck it out.

FWIW the 042 and 048 offered both a spur,one piece,spur two piece plus a rim drive system.They took different oil pump drive gears if you ever want to change them .

That is a bout a years runtime here in the woods, Willard. Have you had it hooked up and see what it say's in the logg?

Back