Possible re-awakening of slumbering 048.

Yep, desire.....I'm thinking that I might have to look for one now too. Hard to find in that condition!

Cool, Burnham!

Here is a pic of the cover, the bucking spike #11 is part number 1117 664 0502 and the long plastic guard #15 is part number 1117 656 1500.
I wish I could explain for sure why a saw that sat that long doesn't need new carb diaphragms and a total cleaning, when I see stuff today that will be green slimed and varnished in a month. The only explanation that I can come up with is the quality of fuel back in the day compared to now.
That is awesome that you got it running so easily.
Good job!!!

Attachments

• 048sidecover.jpg
    048sidecover.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 74
I have also experienced quick start up with older Stihl saws sitting for years with the old fuel in them. The gas doesn't have that stinky smell from going bad.

A little observation here .It appears from looking at the pics that that thing has a pressure can muffler ,somewhat similar to an 038 .

The 2 048's I have are fitted with s baflle mufflers .

Now I had heard someplace that there were a series of 048's specially made for the forestry service . Weather this is factual or not ,I can't really say .I wonder perhaps if this is one of them ?

If so it would explain the "048 Super " name tag because none of my literature even mentions this model allthough I speculate that it might by just a standard model with perhaps a few differences .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a pic of the cover, the bucking spike #11 is part number 1117 664 0502 and the long plastic guard #15 is part number 1117 656 1500.
I wish I could explain for sure why a saw that sat that long doesn't need new carb diaphragms and a total cleaning, when I see stuff today that will be green slimed and varnished in a month. The only explanation that I can come up with is the quality of fuel back in the day compared to now.
That is awesome that you got it running so easily.
Good job!!!

Thanks very much for the part numbers. Do you think my local Stihl dealer can order them in?

A little observation here .It appears from looking at the pics that that thing has a pressure can muffler ,somewhat similar to an 038 .

The 2 048's I have are fitted with s baflle mufflers .

Now I had heard someplace that there were a series of 048's specially made for the forestry service . Weather this is factual or not ,I can't really say .I wonder perhaps if this is one of them ?

If so it would explain the "048 Super " name tag because none of my literature even mentions this model allthough I speculate that it might by just a standard model with perhaps a few differences .

Al, what are the differences between the muffler types, pressure can and baffle?

For that matter, what is generally different about AV Super designation models compared to their plain jane counterparts? For instance, my shed contains two 056 saws, one of which carries the AV Super plate, one without.

Al, what are the differences between the muffler types, pressure can and baffle?
General speaking a baffled muffler just basically bounces the sound waves around against the baffles and they collide with one another and atenuate or somewhat cancel the sound .

A pressure can is just that .The sound enters ,past a few baffles and presurizes the can .This efectually acts as a pressure regulating device on the exhaust ,limiting it's exiting .Once for instance the pressure within the can equals the incoming pressure within the cylinder ,no more fuel /air mix can be pumped into the cylinder . Of course doing things like elimiating the screen or removing the baffles or enlarging the exhaust hole allows the gasses to escape faster and thus allows more fuel /air mixture to enter the cylinder on transfer

Now in the case of the 048 on the models I have the exhaust enter via the inlet ,is directed downward through a 180 degree bend and then upward to exit at about the same level it it entered at .On mine ,being somewhat of a tweeker it exits at the bottom of the 180 degree bend ,Have Dremel ,will travel .;)

Now ,if the picture is what it appears to be ,that muffler has a side port exit ,almost like an 038 plus it has the heat shield on the front portion .That is ,if I'm seeing this correctly .

Thanks very much for the part numbers. Do you think my local Stihl dealer can order them in?

Well Burnham, I checked and both those numbers are NLA from STIHL. But you might find it in stock at a dealer.
But I checked with a dealer friend in NY who has tons of old parts and he has the plastic insert piece for the cover, but not the spike. He has the inboard spike but not the outboard one.
PM me if you want his contact info.
I looked at a recent muffler pic and the US muffler is a 2 piece with a screen, the 1 piece was for out of the US.
The current parts list shows a 048 S but there is only one piston diameter so the S did not mean it had more displacement. Maybe like Al said, it was a forest model with the wrap handle and a high flow muffler.

The muffler does have a side port, up near the top corner of the muffler on the clutch side.

Well Burnham, I checked and both those numbers are NLA from STIHL. But you might find it in stock at a dealer.
But I checked with a dealer friend in NY who has tons of old parts and he has the plastic insert piece for the cover, but not the spike. He has the inboard spike but not the outboard one.
PM me if you want his contact info.
I looked at a recent muffler pic and the US muffler is a 2 piece with a screen, the 1 piece was for out of the US.
The current parts list shows a 048 S but there is only one piston diameter so the S did not mean it had more displacement. Maybe like Al said, it was a forest model with the wrap handle and a high flow muffler.

Thanks...pm coming.

Try Madsen's or Wood's Logging Supply... I have always been amazed at the old saw parts that Wood's has on the shelf.

I bought a complete gasket and spacer set for an old 041 that I thought I would never find. They had the parts on the shelf. 041's had that stack of crap under the carb. Mine did not have the spacer when I got it... but they had it.

Gary

Good advice, Gary. I'm gonna walk in to my local shop for grins and giggles, see what they might have, but these other possible sources are great to have too.

Well,there is always Bryce Stott alias Cheap stihl parts on E-bay . He has parts by the ton or so I've heard . Good gent to deal with by the way .

Yep Bryce is a really cool dude... I have his phone number if you need it Burnham...
Not sure if he would want his number in the open forum... so you can PM me for that...

Here is Wood's Logging Supply in Sedro-Wooley, WA... (360) 855-0331

They have a shop in Longview, WA too, which is closer to you Burnham.... (360) 577-8030

Gary

The mystery gets deeper .They actually show 3 mufflers ,a 1 piece s baffle ,a 2 piece s baffle and a 2 piece pressure can .

2 sizes of dogs also ,small and large inner and outer .

My friends 048 may not be a Super, still researching that. He did have an 056 Super, which he said absolutely hated trees, and ate them with a passion.

If you guys know Bryce, do me a favor and ask him to PLEASE ship parts abroad....at least to me :)

THANKS!

More little tid bits about this model .At one time this saw had the highest HP to weight ratio of any Stihl saw .I don't know if this is still true or not .For that matter even if that is true or hearsay .

You can't seem to find exactly what the thing was rated for .I've heard figures ranging between 5 .5 and 6 HP .I really don't know myself .

Same goes for max speed .The book only shows the 042 and that was given to be 11,500 .I've heard 13 thou on the 048 but once again ,could be an old wives tale .However in running several I don't doubt that figure as being too far off .

What I can say is mine would scoot ,both of them but one is getting a little tired and needs rings and the other leans out after a long run indicating a seal leak so they don't get used much .Couple more things on my to do list .As if I needed more on my plate .

Back