Possible re-awakening of slumbering 048.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More little tid bits about this model .At one time this saw had the highest HP to weight ratio of any Stihl saw .I don't know if this is still true or not .For that matter even if that is true or hearsay .

You can't seem to find exactly what the thing was rated for .I've heard figures ranging between 5 .5 and 6 HP .I really don't know myself .

Same goes for max speed .The book only shows the 042 and that was given to be 11,500 .I've heard 13 thou on the 048 but once again ,could be an old wives tale .However in running several I don't doubt that figure as being too far off .

What I can say is mine would scoot ,both of them but one is getting a little tired and needs rings and the other leans out after a long run indicating a seal leak so they don't get used much .Couple more things on my to do list .As if I needed more on my plate .

I was able to get a photocopy of the original 048 owner's manual mailed direct to me for free from the Stihl USA website. It lists engine specs thus:
Displacement-76 cubic cm (4.64 cu. in.)
Bore-52 mm (2.05 in.)
Stroke-36 mm (1.42 in.)
Max. permissible engine speed w/ bar and chain- 12,000 rpm
Ignition timing-2.9 mm (0.114 in.) before tdc @ 8,000 rpm
Powerhead weight- 7.7 kg (17.0 lbs.)

Unfortunately it does not state a HP rating.

That weight seems somewhat high to me, just totally guessing by feel...I ought to put it on a scale.

I'll stick one on my refridgeratrion scales with a 20 " bar ,when I think of it . They aren't all that heavy . At least it doesn't feel like it .

They're not that bad ,a couple pounds more than a 460 is all .I'll weigh an sp 81 Mac just as a comparrison .

Got another question for the guys who remember this sort of stuff from the wayback days...

The 048 I have does not have a chain brake. It's got the hand guard mounted where a chain brake paddle would be. The photocopied owner's manual I got from Stihl depicts a chain brake on this model.

Eddie says it was made from 1976 through 1985...so when in than time frame did the change to a chain brake occur?

Now that I can't say. Both my 048's plus 042 at one time did have brakes but they were non operational when I became the owner of the saws .

Something to think about though .It was mentioned earlier that it was rumored that the 048 was originally designed for the forestry service .It could just be that those earler models or special order as such might not have been equipted with brakes .Speculation on my part but there might be some merit to it .

Hey Burnham,
I had a chance to dig through a bunch of old tech bulletins on the 048 and made some notes for you:
S/N 112801305 and above has an uprated engine.
Port timing was changed and a Walbro WS 25 carb with a larger bore was installed, in place of a WS 14.
The cylinder will have 2 little plus signs after the ID code (52ZN14) on the bottom edge of the cylinder on the flywheel side.
This took it from 3.6 kW (4.8 hp) to 3.8 kW (5.0) at 9k.

I did notice the chain brake was mentioned but I did not make a note as to when. The current parts look up still shows the 048 and the chain brake page mentions a bulletin dated 1984 so I am guessing it become available around 1983 or so. I found no mention of a S version, and there is only one piston diameter for the 048 so maybe the S was used wneh the cylinder change was made.
Look at your serial number and compare it to the one above and let us know if you have the 5 hp or the wimpy little 4.8 hp instead! LOL
Eddie

Great information, Eddie. I'll get that serial number later today. We were wondering what the hp rating was.

And thanks, Al.

Hey Burnham,
I had a chance to dig through a bunch of old tech bulletins on the 048 and made some notes for you:
S/N 112801305 and above has an uprated engine.
Port timing was changed and a Walbro WS 25 carb with a larger bore was installed, in place of a WS 14.
The cylinder will have 2 little plus signs after the ID code (52ZN14) on the bottom edge of the cylinder on the flywheel side.
This took it from 3.6 kW (4.8 hp) to 3.8 kW (5.0) at 9k.

I did notice the chain brake was mentioned but I did not make a note as to when. The current parts look up still shows the 048 and the chain brake page mentions a bulletin dated 1984 so I am guessing it become available around 1983 or so. I found no mention of a S version, and there is only one piston diameter for the 048 so maybe the S was used wneh the cylinder change was made.
Look at your serial number and compare it to the one above and let us know if you have the 5 hp or the wimpy little 4.8 hp instead! LOL
Eddie

The serial number on this 048 is 112802200. So I reckon that makes this one the 895th individual saw with the uprated engine. Wooowooo!

Thanks Magnus. From what I've read they added the chain brake mid-way through the production run. Mine has the handle, and it's spring loaded, but there is no "guts" under the cover. I'll see if I can get a picture. I'd really like to get a brake on this saw. It's definitely got some power.

On a side note, I believe I've contracted a new ailment: C.A.D - Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder.

I find myself browsing Craigslist looking for good deals on saws. Even saws that are bigger than I need. Like an 048. Hopefully $150 for a good running and oiling 048 wasn't too bad. It need the kill switch fixed, but that's pretty much it. We'll see if I can add the brake. That'd make me feel a little more comfortable running it.

Or I'll sell it and see what else I can find!

I check EBay a bit for Husky's ... Loaded w new 562's now from the first two years of manufacture ( which are the ones that suck). It is cool to see what's out there.

This one was spelled wrong. He had it listed as "Shtil 048" and didn't have the word chainsaw anywhere in the ad. I'm surprised I ever found it. Apparently no one else found it either!

I bet yours had the inertia removed after it got broken.
There is only one case from what I can find so if it is missing it can be put in.
It is a pretty late saw in collectors eyes, 1980...
Here in Europe all had chain break, was not sold without..

076 was introduced 1980 and is a older design that originate from 075 that came 1974 I think.
All 076 should have chain break. That is what the plastic lever is for.
Not all have it as they got replaced with empty 075 cover.

Back