Mandatory Training.... Logging ain't a GAME

Altissimus

TreeHouser
I know that there is an entire thread devoted to the "Game Of Logging" I personally never cared for the training they provide, until today when I got the news .... My winter employers have me on a list of people who MUST take this training ....I can be awfully opinionated and even mouthy .... there has to be a way for me to simply take the training without being critical of the cookie-cutter aproach to falling or the reccomended techniques .... maybe some sort of medication ....Or I suppose if I drop-start the saw for the instructor that might help .... Have any y'all had to do this ???

Pretend it's somebody like burnham that will be teaching the class. Try to go in open-minded. There's always more than just one way to drop a tree. Who knows, you might pick up a trick or two that could help you.

As long as they don't treat you like some rank amateur then it probably won't be anywhere near as bad as you expect. But if somebody starts in on me telling me how to hold my fingers on the handle when starting a saw then we're gonna have problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is True ... it is rather nice of my employer , and I will be on the clock ... I just need a way to stifle my opinions about the training , maybe I disagree with the teacher's "gospel" ....As G.F.B. says there's more to it than any one person can know

I know a kid that was an instructor he said its real fun who do you work for in VT? Just regard the usefull and disregard the useless

The Ski Area I work winters at (20 'th year) is Mount Snow .... I have done lot of specialty tree work for them over the years , some stuff was fairly dangerous , which is why I felt more comfortable havin me (with a proper background) deal with the problem trees .... technically I'm a ski patroller

I've taken lots of the same classes several times. I ALWAYS pick up something new....:|: then again I'm a slow learner...;)

Dan Tilton's chainsaw talk is a good example, I've seen it half a dozen times and I could watch it every week!

I know that there is an entire thread devoted to the "Game Of Logging" I personally never cared for the training they provide, until today when I got the news .... My winter employers have me on a list of people who MUST take this training ....I can be awfully opinionated and even mouthy .... there has to be a way for me to simply take the training without being critical of the cookie-cutter aproach to falling or the reccomended techniques .... maybe some sort of medication ....Or I suppose if I drop-start the saw for the instructor that might help .... Have any y'all had to do this ???

Are you taking all four parts?

My advice is to watch what other people there do as much as you pay attention to the instructors. They'll either do something you want to avoid or something you never heard of and want to learn.

As a long-time instructor, I have found that I hardly ever teach a class where I don't learn something myself, from questions students ask or ways they do something, good and bad.

ALSO .... THANKS to everyone in the house for answering / understanding ... Burnham , you see this from the instructor's point of view as well ..... you guys have no idea how helpful this is for me ...Thanks again , DAVE....

My humble take on this.
If I can't learn something new everyday, it was a waste of a day.
Anytime an employer offers to educate you, and pay both ways, pay you and for the course, take it.
Anything they give/you can get, adds to you're credentials latter, and makes you a more valuable employee. Means you are worth more to them, or worth more when you go to sell youreself to another employer.
You have NOTHING to loose, and EVERYTHING to gain.
You may learn a lot, you may not, but at the end of the day you have that peice of paper, that not many around you will have, and that is a nice barganing chip. Maybe you need it now, maybe you'll need it later. Maybe you wont need it at all. But by golly it's there!!
Suck it up a bit, go have some fun, meet some neat people, learn from them, let them learn from you (that is what it's all about anyway, LEARNING) and have some laughs. It will be alright!

hey greg

Attachments

• Wind-Up-Chomping-Teeth_2AFAA5FB.jpg
    Wind-Up-Chomping-Teeth_2AFAA5FB.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 65
Copy that Skwerl !!! I am not a know it all ...I know this is True .... Geez if it weren't for G.F.B. 's book I probably would have dead ten times .. at least ...

Anyone falling a tree over 6" DBH must have a WCB certification up here in BC, take the course, pass the test, get the Fallers Ticket.
http://www.worksafebc.com/publications/newsletters/worksafe_magazine/Assets/PDF/wsm_jul_aug_2004.pdf

That's not what the wcb officer I met with last year told me. You only need to be certified if the end use of the wood your cutting is some form of production. Otherwise if there's an accident your stump/situation will be scrutinized and they will determine whether you were a qualified faller in that scenario or not. I was suprised myself but that's what the guy told me. I've got the minutes from our meeting, he documented it all.

Pretend it's somebody like burnham that will be teaching the class. Try to go in open-minded. There's always more than just one way to drop a tree. Who knows, you might pick up a trick or two that could help you.

As long as they don't treat you like some rank amateur then it probably won't be anywhere near as bad as you expect. But if somebody starts in on me telling me how to hold my fingers on the handle when starting a saw then we're gonna have problems.

Yup... pretty much my view.

Back