Top it?

pantheraba

More biners!!!
I did a job for a lady last weekend that generated a referral from her co-worker. This fellow wants me to "top" this tree at the line I drew...there is a natural gap there.

I am still trying to find out the type of tree...I verified it is not a sweetgum, only have a picture so far...he is to get picts of leaves and bark tonight. It will probably difficult to make a sensible recommendation without knowing the species of tree.

He thinks the tree is too tall and blocks the sun to the house...he has some water issues with the house because there is another tree he told me about that is much larger than this pictured tree...he wants me to quote taking that other tree down all the way "because it blocks light to the house all day and causing some rot and moisture buildup from no sun".

I'll get to view all this in person probably this weekend.

Main question for now...looks like it can be topped at that gap in the tree...I told him it may look like a witch's hairy pimple with sprouts in a few years...he asked if a metal cap over the stub would prevent shoots coming up.

Maybe he should remove it and replace it with something like a silver maple or river-birch? What thinketh thou?

Attachments

• FrontTree.JPG
    FrontTree.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 27
r&r. it wants to get bigger even after you top it. plant some thing that matures to the height he has marked. no way would that tree cause mold issues here

I would not top it. At least not if he wants the tree to live and be healthy. Even if it survives getting 1/2 of it's foliage removed (which it might not), the large wound will introduce rot into the trunk and new tops will grow. I would recommend complete removal and replant something smaller.

But if he insists on it anyway even after hearing all that, then do it.

Just pretend that he's in love with the tree and a storm came along and busted the top out. As he's not into coronet cuts, he wants you to fix the cut. ;)

You just gotta get your mind right.

I would suggest a Bradford Pear and removing that tree.
Then when he didn't buy into it, I'd top it.

Haha, hell ya!

BS that tree is causing mold/rot issues. I don't know if I'd personally cut it in half, but to each there own. Cut it down and replace it...small dogwood, jap maple, yada yada?

I think what the homeowner is complaining about is the fungus growing on his shingles. Trees do promote the fungus and it does suck the life out of the roof. A cure is a strip of copper down the ridge. It leaches copper sulfate when it rains and that kills the fungus.

Gary, He has proposed a terrible solution to a non problem with his tree.. A metal cap won't do diddly squat ( except look like a tinfoil hat for the tree and confirm that the owner is a kook.)

A couple years ago I would have been in the "don't top it, educate the customer and do what's right for the tree" camp. But people just don't GAF about what's right for the tree. There's no mold on the roof, it's all on the owner's head. If he pays a dear enough price then whack it and go. Don't waste time discussing metal caps or any other ridiculous crap like that. It's a partial removal is all, treat it that way. If he mentions the sprouting then just say that it'll be fine. He'll have you back to take it down in a year or two, once it's been topped.

And if you don't top it, the next guy will. I'd like to be all morally superior but right now in this economy I'd rather have the work. It's a crap looking tree anyway. I won't top a nice, beautiful specimen but I'm not willing to give up work to save some crap tree from a topping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And if you don't top it, the next guy will. I'd like to be all morally superior but right now in this economy I'd rather have the work. It's a crap looking tree anyway. I won't top a nice, beautiful specimen but I'm not willing to give up work to save some crap tree from a topping.

Hey, Stumper, I have seen a metal cap here or there but never really considered it a realistic solution to a problem.

Yep, Brian, I'm thinking that if he doesn't want to R&R the tree that I'll just do what he wants...he is going to get it done anyway, I feel pretty certain.

Heck, if he's ok with topping the tree, tell him you'll top it right at ground level with just one cut. Saves time that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I visited tree after work today...it is a maple of some sort. The verdict is to top and see how she does. We discussed tree wound dressing, metal caps and banding around the stem to prevent spitting...these were the owner's ideas; I dissuaded him about this and we'll just let Nature do its thing. I told him he will have sprouts popping up t the cuts...he wants to try it anyway.

I'll probably do it Saturday.

It is a very thick, bushy mess...methinks the climb up will be tough with all the small limbs.

Attachments

• IMG_7788 (2).JPG
    IMG_7788 (2).JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7791 (2).JPG
    IMG_7791 (2).JPG
    423.4 KB · Views: 10
Back