Top it?

This thread at this time is quite relavent for me as well .... I am currently commited to top a large Sugar Maple ... too bad cause it's a real nice one ... probably the largest top job I have ever had....I have actually put it off awhile but I gotta do it....It's a shame because the tree is large , old ,and in perfect health ...Also I shot a little low on the bid...

The last part hurts the worse.

It's been 5 years since I've topped a normal, healthy tree. Normally I'm pretty good with conviencing them to go my way.

Down in southern Illinois topping trees is a standard it seems. It is flat out ignorance. Up here in northern Illinois there is a lot less topping, opposite ends of the spectrum.

I have turned many clients in the right direction that were adamant about topping their trees. Most of them just didn't know what the right thing to do was and after talking for a while we usually end up making the right decision. I have a very hard time doing the wrong thing when I know what the right thing is.

Would I top that Red Maple? Not a chance, but that's just me. Not only does it drastically reduce the lifespan but it looks like shit. I would leave the tree alone. If the client didn't like that option then I suggest removal and replant with a species that doesn't get as large. If the client still wants the tree topped then I say have a nice day.

Keep in mind I don't have kids that I need to provide for and put food on the table... My mindset may change one day when I get to that point

Whenever somebody asks me to top a tree, I always like to give them this little analogy. Say you had a cat that was scratching up the furniture, so you took it to the vet and asked him to amputate all 4 of the cats legs so it could not scratch up the furniture anymore. How would you feel about the vet that said "Sure, I'll do it!"?

Thinning the tree in this case would be more likely to solve the mold problem.

I use the analogy of having lung surgery to make the lungs smaller and less scary.

Especially useful on life long smokers.

Leaves are analogous to lungs. Unless you're removing a tumor there's no reason to cut chunks out of them eh?

Leaves are somewhat more analogous to stomachs...but plant and animal anatomies and physiologies are so different that all analogies are weak. I find it more helpful to ask about goals and discuss longterm results.

I don't use an analogy. I pride myself on my quality of work and I want to leave the best impression of my work. I am not the greatest salesman so I try and make damn sure my quality is the best I can do, and hopefully it can speak for itself. The word quality should never be used to describe topping ... so I just don't do it.

I haven't topped a tree because other means were found. I haven't walked from a topping job in 3+ years.

Fred, it's kinda hard to show them how kick ass your work is if you never do the work eh?

Stumper: "I find it more helpful to ask about goals and discuss longterm results."

Now there is a man with a plan. ;)

Is Menard County in northern or southern illinois? I'll be cabling and pruning and installing lightning protection there next week. Topping is passe' there.

Carl, nice description of a good company's evolution.

And removing it in a few years when all that crap doesn't work.

I haven't topped a tree because other means were found. I haven't walked from a topping job in 3+ years.

Fred, it's kinda hard to show them how kick ass your work is if you never do the work eh?

I have been able to find a better solution with every client so far, haven't had to walk yet.

Back