Top it?

As a tree lovin' arborist.... I admit to doing quite a bit of topping ....wrong? maybe ... but a buck is a buck .... and the cutomer is always "right" many times I consider it a removal over a period of years....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As a tree lovin' arborist.... I admit to doing quite a bit of topping ....wrong? maybe ... but a buck is a buck .... and the cutomer is always "right" many times I consider it a removal over a period of years....

I understand the sentiment, Altissimus...it's a real world out there.

YES the Rubrum ... I often try to tell the customer about the longevity , , and long term landscape value of the "Rock" Maple as opposed to the "Soft" Maple...

YES the Rubrum ... I often try to tell the customer about the longevity , , and long term landscape value of the "Rock" Maple as opposed to the "Soft" Maple...

Hard Maple isn't going to fare very well in Georgia, me thinks.

A couple years ago I would have been in the "don't top it, educate the customer and do what's right for the tree" camp. But people just don't GAF about what's right for the tree. There's no mold on the roof, it's all on the owner's head. If he pays a dear enough price then whack it and go. Don't waste time discussing metal caps or any other ridiculous crap like that. It's a partial removal is all, treat it that way. If he mentions the sprouting then just say that it'll be fine. He'll have you back to take it down in a year or two, once it's been topped.

And if you don't top it, the next guy will. I'd like to be all morally superior but right now in this economy I'd rather have the work. It's a crap looking tree anyway. I won't top a nice, beautiful specimen but I'm not willing to give up work to save some crap tree from a topping.

Heck yeah,
Just in from France and spain.
Just top it ... give umm what they want.

Is it the black streaks on the roof that the homeowner is talking about?

No...here is a picture...his front porch takes a very long time to dry out after rain...and he seldom uses the front door and moisture builds up between the storm door and front door and may cause rot he thinks. He hopes more sun will help.

I think the porch floor wood just needs a good sealer or paint....the door molding appears to have needed paint...that may be why it seems to be rotting.

The house faces NW so it seldom has a chance to get much sun at all. Here is a picture of some of the moisture problem he has.

Attachments

• IMG_7792 (2).JPG
    IMG_7792 (2).JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 11
If I'm following your pics right that porch or front door isn't really covered at all and with that exposure I'd guess hacking up his tree isn't going to solve his problems. But heh I'd explain my position on topping and then take his money and do it up real nice for him.

Top and go ... maybe sell some thinning.. ahh why not.. I do it for a customer here that insists she's right and I can only steer her when she goes way off base... giter done....

Here is a picture I took of the tree tonight...the original posted was from about two months ago (per the owner).

Attachments

• IMG_7797 (2).JPG
    IMG_7797 (2).JPG
    343 KB · Views: 8
Yep, Cursed, I think it will be a "git 'er done" job.

THanks for y'all's input.

If that property is here in GA - there is reason for concern abouth the MOLD on the siding. when there is no sun or not enough the mold grows wild on that side of the house - even with yearly cleanings it comes back.

there is also concern about mosses growing on the roof shingles.

I am not a arborist, but i would remove and out in a smaller ornamental. Red buds are nice as are the native dogwood or river birch, (but they can get quite large)

hmm

Last edited:
Hmmmm...I think he will eventually replace the tree. I'll be curious to see how it does. A redbud would be a good choice...or one or three of our deep South dogwoods, maybe.

Too late now but a 1/3 thinning/reduction may have been a solution aimed at the moisture "problem". It is not the top that is causing the problem, and with the regrowth the tree will be denser than ever, blocking the air movement even more.

That will be one dandy advertisement for your biz, Gary--"We hack for cash, before the next guy". Wait'll January, the neighbors will see what an asset you created...That said, if you can pick the right lateral to cut to it might not be all that bad...

"It's a crap looking tree anyway. I won't top a nice, beautiful specimen but I'm not willing to give up work to save some crap tree from a topping."

And Brian how much does this definition of a "crap" tree change with how desperate you are for work?...

Too late now but a 1/3 thinning/reduction may have been a solution aimed at the moisture "problem". It is not the top that is causing the problem, and with the regrowth the tree will be denser than ever, blocking the air movement even more.

That will be one dandy advertisement for your biz, Gary--"We hack for cash, before the next guy". Wait'll January, the neighbors will see what an asset you created...That said, if you can pick the right lateral to cut to it might not be all that bad...

I'm not crazy about it, Guy, but the owner thinks it is the wrong tree for the site...it is WAY taller than he wants that close to the house....he feels it "overpowers" the house. I strongly encouraged him to remove and replace but he wants to "try this" to see how he likes it.

Not to mention you'd have to top a LOT of trees before that reputation effected your business, unless you topped some historic tree that made the news or something similar.

Awesome avatar Carl!

I am not there to spend their money for them.

I would lay out the options, what I would do if it were my tree, and then let them buy what they want.

If they want it topped, I would just point out it is AAA - Against Arborist Advice. Then I would put on my topping slippers and get to topping.

Back