Top it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The pictures say it all...a takedown it was.

I printed out pertinent pages from this thread and let the owner read what such a highly educated, highly qualified group thought about topping the tree (I did leave out the page where Stumper called him a kook for the metal cap idea :P)

He was considering waiting until spring to remove the tree but finally decided to go ahead and get it done today...when he asked how much more for the takedown vs the topping I told him I'd do it at the same price...and also included taking down a 40' dead pine pole, no bark, REAL dead...I think the freebie probably helped seal the deal.

There was a small sweetgum about one foot away from the dead pine. I climbed the gum to about 30 feet, leaned over and topped the spar...then put a pull rope in and dropped the remaining 30 feet from the ground...probably 30 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_7798 (2).JPG
    IMG_7798 (2).JPG
    455.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7800 (2).JPG
    IMG_7800 (2).JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 6
Nice job, and you educated the customer too. (Or at least appealed to his cheapness with a favorable result):)

Awesommme Gary... He went with take down... Whole front yard actually looks better with out it.. He gonna have you replant anything? And cool on the job getting bigger ... Love it when that happens! :)

Awesommme Gary... He went with take down... Whole front yard actually looks better with out it.. He gonna have you replant anything? And cool on the job getting bigger ... Love it when that happens! :)

He will probably do the replant...we walked his little patch of woods for a possible candidate but he is going to have to buy something...he had some scrubby willow oaks and sweetgums mostly.

I am thinking maybe this (below) or a rosebud:

Paperbark Maple
Acer griseum

Orange-red fall color. Rich, reddish bark adds interest to winter.
Type: Deciduous
Environment: Full Sun
Plant Height: 20' to 30' tall
Spacing: 15' to 20' on center
Growing Pattern: Slow to moderate growth rate

The height will be realistic and the bark looks very unique.

YOU guys helped educate him..thanks for all the input. 8)

I never thought of printing out the forum to help with a difficult client... But you have really given me an idea Gary. My clients can learn from all of you like I have as well.. Thanks.. :)

I never thought of printing out the forum to help with a difficult client... But you have really given me an idea Gary. My clients can learn from all of you like I have as well.. Thanks.. :)

You just be REAL sure to closely read what you give them...some of the funny comments we get here might not read so funny to the perpetrator/victim/customer. :lol:

Good deal, Gary. I'd much rather cut down an unwanted tree than torture it to death over a long period of time.
:)

Good deal, Gary. I'd much rather cut down an unwanted tree than torture it to death over a long period of time.
:)

Yep.

Guess Guy isn't going to be selling any magic elixir to that one, eh?

Gary, was there room to just flop the whole thing?

The power lines were across the street...my guesstimate showed that the top few feet of the tree would have brushed the lines...plus blocked the street for awhile. I might have been able to fall it at an angle but would still have blacked the street some. So, I decided that topping it would add more certainty to the situation...the practice didn't hurt me either. I got to use my adjustable friction saver while cutting some chunks...and the fender washer I set up as a retrieval tool worked just right.

I just try to avoid air time if I can; air time is less productive.

The faster it's down, the faster it's chipped, and so on.

I must be getting old.

Back