'Z' Rig...

My guys used to ask for a little friction back in the day, unless we were using a hitch for progress capture.. I AM still waiting gonna get a dyno to show things like how much more pull you can create with heave..

Just another thought, or consideration, when using a Z-rig for rigging: Bend-radii. Biners, revolvers even small pulleys put a lot of stress on a rope with rigging loads. They all (even a versa-tackle) will work in-a-pinch(pun intended) but keep in mind the de-rating of rope in a small bend radius.

Just reminding myself ... :)

Used one this week on this yucky twin pine takedown and prune job. The drop zone was a 25' laurel, a tiny deck full of delicate potted plants and a pond. I chose to use a speedline over the house to the front driveway, which was raised and lowered on every pick. Fortunately I only had to get it to the ground , and someone else picked it all up. Took almost as long to clean up the sap from all the gear as to do the whole job.

IMG_1387_zps3155f8c9.jpg

IMG_1386_zps6c27ac88.jpg

IMG_1391_zps68fd76dd.jpg

Anytime I have trouble pulling anything I will wrap the line around a pole, tree whatever and back through a butterfly in the standing side creating a rough MA system. Always called that an 'old fashioned' or an 'old fashioned come along'... It isnt perfect but it doesnt require any equipment or much time at all.

Of course I have all the jingle jangle too, mini traxion for progress capture, cammed rope grabs to replace the prussics, the whole nine yards if needed.

No regular groundie. In this case it was the homeowner, a lady. I had to take smaller pieces because of the dormer gutters and trellis obstacles. The bottom was anchored to the arborvitae. A rope was tied to two of them about 10' apart, with a sliding prussic so to adjust for the best path down. The haulback line often got stuck in the trellis. If I knew a way to keep that up with the speedline, other than having two haul lines, one for each direction.

The speedline was HTP 7/16, with a 5:1 at the bottom. I managed the lowering line from up top. After getting all the fluffy stuff down, the heavier chunks made it harder for her to tension up the line enough to clear the roof. So I added another pulley in the system, making it 6:1.

As the pieces got heavier (but smaller cuts) I decided to lower straight down with the porty. Since the speed line was still in place I was able to use that for a high rigging point.

IMG_1397.jpg

P1000550.jpg

P1000552.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

My groundie was 80 year old, but I have to say, she was waiting on me more than I was on her! She managed the line and cut up the pieces into a tidy pile in-between each drop while I was up there fighting the tree sap. She ran the porty without a miss, and even found a micro pulley I had dropped while in the tree (uh-oh, DQ'd).

The next day I did some serious pruning on the laurel, which was just over the fence in the neighbor's yard. At the end of the day I took my rope wrench/hitchclimber setup off the rope, clipped it all together with an Ultra O, and set it on the ground in the debris. Pulled the rope out of the tree, flaked it into the bag and walked away. Later, the yard guys came to pick everything up. We never found it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Double ouch!!!
That was a chunk of change gone to the tip...:(

Back