'Z' Rig...

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
...one of the most useful bits of rigging I reckon.

Pulled the 'Z' rig out of the bag yesterday, along with a redirect to get a back/side leaning 30' stick over in the only direction it could go. Such a useful thing, couple of friction cords, couple of small pulleys and a couple carabiners and big bam boom, two girls can pull over a big stick. It made a very satifying thump when it hit the ground :)

Oh yes, and wedges, gotta love wedges...especially the high lift European ones, thumped over another 20' stick with a redirect as well.

I used one of ours today to load our spray rig into the back of my truck by myself. We have two and use them quite a bit. Ours are all 5 to 1. We dont use them as much as our GRCS though.

my z rig is inside the speed line kit bag, i use the prusicks, pulleys, biner and port a wrap to tension my lines and hold taught, whether off a tree or truck , handy stuff , i used to use it a lot, now, not at all

I don't have a Z-rig, I prefer the Maasdam rope puller. It's less bulky for me, but maybe that's just me.
10:1 MA, which is top for a man alone at the pull, quick to setup and to tighten, and it's a selftailing device without other gears. Drawback, it's a little slow on the pull and even slower on the release (vs the zrig or other rope MA).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just add the bits to my regular bull rope, two each: pulleys, friction cord and carabiners, one sling, done.
I have a come-along in the truck too, just in case.
Remember, size appropriate, my trees are smaller than your trees!

SDC11721.jpg SDC11723-1.jpg
Here's my 5:1 z rig setup I bought last year. Really fancy Petzl pulleys and very expensive, around $350 thru Sherrills [rope not included].
To be honest I like it, but have only used it once. It's great if you have a crew to pull on it, but seeing I work solo I use my Masdaam puller, or better yet my truck in 4X4 Lo range.

Anyone interested I'll sell them cheap, minus the rope.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/self-jamming-pulleys/pro-traxion
We use a 3:1 on a regular basis using the pro-traxion to lock off our progress. Another 2 inch diameter pulley on a butterfly and your good to go. I usually also hand place a wedge in the back cut if we are pulling against the lean. Tops that I don't have to catch on the porty almost always get this set up if we are working next to a home unless the lean is a slam dunk away from the house. We deal with a lot of wind out here so this allows us to do our tech removals with more confidence.

I have a rope come-along and a 2 ton come-along in the truck too for the monsters. I'm afraid to use my truck to pull because I can't really gauge how much force is being generated. That always make me think about a you-tube video.... here, hold my beer, I'm gonna pull this tree over with my truck......:O
I know people do it all the time with great success. To each their own.

I'm afraid to use my truck to pull because I can't really gauge how much force is being generated. That always make me think about a you-tube video.... here, hold my beer, I'm gonna pull this tree over with my truck......:O
I know people do it all the time with great success. To each their own.
I used to think the exact same way too, but the truck pull works excellent. I use 3/4" Stable braid x 200 ft. I redirect with a 3 ton stainless block and 3/4" sling. Setup is quick. Several times I had pulled a tree in a back yard with the truck in the front yard with 3 pulley-block redirects and 400 ft of rope.
I have pulled many a huge dead hardwoods with excessive backlean and with the truck pull the tree has no time to fall side ways when the hinge fails.
The truck works excellent for tensioning the Stable braid as a guy line also. I never have to worry about side lean again, just gotta make sure I get my gunsight right for those tight spots 90 degree to lay.
Truck works way better then a $3000 GRCS in my opinion.

Haha! Can you imagine a riggin operation where there were multiple lifts? Hold on, guys, I gotta pin it!

But, seriously a truck works fine. I don't think it does the same job as the goods though there are certain instances where their jobs overlap.

Haha! Can you imagine a riggin operation where there were multiple lifts? Hold on, guys, I gotta pin it!

But, seriously a truck works fine. I don't think it does the same job as the goods though there are certain instances where their jobs overlap.
Yeah I know I could have expanded on my Goods comment. But seriously the Goods being a winch the truck can do too. I have used GRCS's on courses for lifting heavy limbs on pruning applications but cranking it directly below the work being done made me a bit nervous.

I've done multiple lifts with the truck. Strong rope , slings, blocks and pulleys are wonderful things.
Tension the guy rope for the side lean with the truck then tying off with the port a wrap. Then pulling the tree with the truck with a second rope redirected with a block to be in position.

Like I said a touchy tree has no time to fall sideways with a practiced truck pull. Try that with a Goods.

I AM which you Holmie!!!

I used to love a 3:1 Z... but its been years. I had to let her go.. threads like this will cause momentary reminiscing, but other that that she doesn't even cross my mind...

And pulling with the GRCS.. that only happened once or twice when I first got her.. until I realized what a hassle that is!

Fat hinges keep the wallet FAT! Turf tracks and true blue forever!

I LOVE YOU ALL!

Back