Your biggest blunder?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 319
  • Views 37K
Did I mention the pine I tried to precision drop in high wind? Wasn't that big of a blunder, busted a couple of sections of wood fence... but it was sure enough stupid.

Thanks Butch and Jerry, listening to guys like you really means a lot to a rookie like me. Yeah i do need to get better with ropes, i'm so used to just piecing everything out, cut hold throw.

Small blunder today that worked out fine. I was hauling sandbags to put around some greens at the golf course. Had a wait, so I poured a cup of coffee in the lid of my thermos. Just had a sip or two and the forklift showed up to unload me, so set it on the fender of the truck. I backed the truck over some rough snow to get to the place to unload, unloaded, went back to the shop, a couple miles of city driving, loaded another 4 pallets, delivered them, returned to the shop and noticed the lid to my thermos was missing. About then it struck me where I had left it. Walked around the truck and there it sat. I had sloshed the coffee out in backing up to unload the first time, it had frozen and remained so until I broke it loose with the side of my fist an hour or so later. I would like to take credit for being a very smooth operator, but think the 15-20 degree weather had more to do with it. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Last edited:
The gas cap on my Ranger has a broken tether. I set it up on the bed side rail in a little cubby hole up next to the wood rack on it and forgot it. Drove the 3 miles home from town making a couple non-stopping turns. Discovered it there the next day. How it stayed on there going 50 I don't know. Another case of being lucky.

I have left a lump hammer standing on the rear cross member of my crane truck (just a flat 4 inch steel section), and driven miles on bumpy roads without loosing it. No idea how it stayed put.

Mailboxes are easy targets when you're backing the chipper. I came close to running over our orchard ladder today..... too many things to watch out for in this trade!

What's a lump hammer? What we would call a ball pein?

One of these kiddies.

Lump%20Hammer.jpg

4 lb, short handle.

Mailboxes are easy targets when you're backing the chipper. I came close to running over our orchard ladder today..... too many things to watch out for in this trade!

Even easier backing up a 20' gooseneck dump that's 8'8" wide! Cost $50 bucks and 10 minutes to replace.

Thats just reminded me of when I backed a lorry over a lampost, cost slightly more than $50 though!!

Today's blunder. I was on an easy job removing some 20' tall pines from the front yard of a newer house. The did the stupid oil cap trick on the 200T and drizzled a line of oil on the textured pavement. I used what I had to try to clean it up to no avail. I need to go back and try to get the stain out. Any ideas for what to use?

Simple Green or possibly powdered laundry detergent. Although powdered laundry detergent doesn't have phosphates in it any more so it really doesn't work very well. I'd spend the $10 on a gallon of Simple Green and use as much as you need at full strength.

Might try Goop hand cleaner and hot water. Take your camp stove to heat a big pot for wash and rinse. Might want a scrub brush, but you also might end up with a cleaner area where you use it than the rest of the surface. If it's a thin drizzle line, use a toothbrush. Leave the Goop on the oil stain for 10 minutes to work a while before you scrub and rinse.

Go back asap, the longer it stays, the deeper it gets. Wood chips and a broom are always my first course

Back