Your biggest blunder?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 319
  • Views 37K
:snicker: I wish I could do smilies on my phone.

I hired a new groundie last week and had him stack some brush as I hauled it from one side of a roof to the other and tossed it off... I forgot to tell him HOW to stack brush. It took half a day to chip it, mostly because it took so much time to unstack.

You guys must have a lot of time on your hands to be on here from your phones at work.

With a long half-life.

I'm in a coffee shop right now on the laptop though.

Hey Bermy,

Its a bit of a joke im englis but everyone here in minneapolis thinks im australian.

By far not my biggest. Smashed a mailbox yesterday while backing the truck and chipper down a tight driveway. Didn't total it or nothing but messed it up. The customer was right pissed off about it. We had just re-topped(so they could keep their lakeview) about 15 fir trees in their tight ass no access for the mini even backyard without doing any sort of damage, but they had to point out how every contractor they hire wrecks something of there's. It was nothing fancy that's for sure. Cost me $75 bones to make amends. And I doubt they'll ever replace it or do anything about it.

Oh vell onwards and upwards.

Skwishey, in situations like that I'll go to Home Depot and buy them a new mailbox and set it rather than taking a discount on the job price. They will never remember the couple dollars but they will remember where the dent in the mailbox came from every time they see it.

I thought about it, but just negotiated on site. The people were quite rude and unappreciative of the work. We did a fantastic job of fixing up the mess the last 'treeguy' did for them, and making their mangled fir trees look passable while taking everything to the perfect height for view. They were pissed because I made bank on the job, I'm not about to apologize for that. As I understand it they had multiple bids.

I thought about it, but just negotiated on site. The people were quite rude and unappreciative of the work. We did a fantastic job of fixing up the mess the last 'treeguy' did for them, and making their mangled fir trees look passable while taking everything to the perfect height for view. They were pissed because I made bank on the job, I'm not about to apologize for that. As I understand it they had multiple bids.

Well in that case, best to just put it behind you. Glad you made bank. :D

Had one happen tonight. Taking down a 26 inch Pine that was as dead as a door nail. Tree was only about 20 feet tall after a ,lightening strike. Had a rope on it applying tension to it. Wedges in it to make it fall where I wanted it to. My wedge was cut into the side towards the lean which is the direction I wanted it to fall and it still went bad on me. Had my face cut done and was done with my back-cut using the wedges to lever it over when the stupid come-along broke. Rope lost all tension and the tree somehow came backwards at me. When it came backwards it spun around and managed to hit the powerlines to my friends house. Didn't break the lines just knocked them down from one of the poles in his yard. Had to wait for about two hours till A truck got there to rehang the wires. We'll see if they charge me for the emergency call in the near future. Why is when you are doing a favor for a friend it always bites you in the but?

Heres a lil somethin I learned. When calling in a knocked down wire, dont tell em you did it. You sy a tree or limb knocked it down. When the truck gets there, you give the driver a $100 bill right on the spot and wink and let him know "a branch did it".

Ive yanked some wires in my time and have dodged some real expensive bullets by paying off the linemen.

Back