X-Rigging Slings

Nick, your equanimity is commendable, but reading through those threads (a voyeuristic experience) has caused my sentiments to be in line more with those expressed by Stig.
Have ordered some 27 mm Antal rings from a local West Marine in Barrie, Ontario even though I like dealing with Luke and the folks at TreeStuff. It is a matter of principle more than economics. Never been fond of weasels, or folks that tell half truths and are evasive.

You don't have to be a good splicer to splice tenex. I should be able to teach my son by the time he's 6.

I'm still irked by the implication that the antal rings were of lesser quality and the theatrics of the whole thing.

I still plan to get some antal rings though.

I could probably finish off the rest of my climbing career without "needing" the rings to compliment using blocks.
Done OK this far into the game.
But it certainly won't hurt to have a couple around.

I might give them a try one day, but I'll buy some that don't have an "X" on them. I commented that Tony over-dramatized that limb in his rigging example , as he could have done it much quicker/simpler since he was working out of a bucket. X got offended.

I may be a "basic" rigger, and I definitely do not know it all....but I'm not dumbstruck by his awesomeness.

Yep. I found/joined both forums the same day. Can't remember now which I joined first, but whichever it was, the username I picked was already taken at the other forum.

I'm still irked by the implication that the antal rings were of lesser quality and the theatrics of the whole thing.

I wonder if Antal knows what he, Xperson, said about their product?
I would guess that they would not be to pleased with him.

"Xperson," thats a good one:lol:

But shouldn't it be "The Xperson??"

As I understand it the rings he's using are made by Antal, so I don't think they're going to care at all what he says about them as long as he keeps selling them.

Anyone enjoying using the XRRs to make money might want to know about a new video that David just uploaded to his YouTube site, “thexmanjdd”. About half way through the vid he goes to negative rigging and it gets pretty interesting what the XRR slings can take in the realm of punishment on the way to ‘testing to destruction.’

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YAJd307Is8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So what is the advantage of the Antal rigging rings over a block?

Cheap, light, slick (not as much as a rotating block), install some from ground. Bomb out of the tree onto dirt/ mulch/ brush. I don't think I'd zipline with a block.

Also David is referring to the advantage of having that slight amount of friction the rings provide during negative blocking. Am sure he will say more about it in the future. (He barely got that vid uploaded after an allnighter of editing and he was off to the airport.)

FJR thanks for posting that.

The shock loading footage in that video was pretty good. I don't like the metal-on-metal configurations though. . . seems like it will grind the rings up.

Grendel I agree. I cringe every time I load up my triple rings and they are not aligned properly. However the hard coat is far more substantial than I would ever expect.

I love the hard core footage not because I am going to go do the same thing but, to see what could be possible in the extreme. I want to see it all and to see what everyone can come up with and then I will select and come up with my own more hardware friendly style.

I agree 100% Merle. Please let us know if you encounter any strange wear patterns in that triple-ring sling. I know I tend to over-think things, and worry where none is justified, but I'd be real interested in seeing how these rings hold up in the long run. Seems like the configurations on the sailboats are all ring on textile, not ring on ring, so we're kind of using them in a way they were never intended when we stack them up and grind them together.

cheers

ETA. 100th post! 8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I made my first one of these and posted pictures here. (its still a shameless plug though)

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=455&item=9012

rigandring.jpg

rigandring.jpg

Back