X-Rigging Slings

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
https://www.treestuff.com/store/products.asp?category_id=455

So these new rigging slings from David Driver seem to be getting a good response. What say you guys? For those that are not already familiar he has basically produce what I believe is a heavy duty hard anodized rope thimble that allows a rope to run inside of the thimble for rigging purposes. He says that one ring is satisfactory as a redirect but suggests the 3 ring sling for a 'terminal' top rigging point.

Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 4.40.50 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 4.40.26 PM.png

Paul, i know you have some. What do you think? Can one ring be used for static rigging?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently you thread the rigging line through the black 'thimble' and it is either a redirect or a rigging point. A lot of the guys in our office rig off a freaking carabiner (i know all about bend ratio and how thats not a good idea) I imagine you could rig off a single one of these but I am wondering what others think.

He has the 3-ring that can be set from the ground and such as well...

I would like to see a 2 ring one, like a traditional ring and ring friction saver, but beefier for rigging.

I have a 1 ring sling and we really like it. I dont think it does anything better than a block but it is way lighter for sure. I have rigged off of our single as the only point but nothing big

I saw this vid about it a few weeks ago. Interesting.
Take the time to see it all.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofGCgVc4M7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched his vids a week or two ago. Looks like a good idea. I have pulleys and blocks I use and could use some lighter weight style stuff. But then again... I will probably be more apt to making the slings with the Pinto rigging pully installed on them for around the same price by my figuring.

Those rigging rings are awesome. I'm ordering some here soon. I've seen them in person, talked to David, seen the vids, etc. my opinion, one ring would be safe to rig off of but two would be stronger and better of course. Plus it'd be removable from the ground.

I really like the idea of x rings but I do not care for the fact that they are not mid line attachable. I am sure I will buy one or six in the future but I still have to convince myself they are worth it.

Pinto pulleys with loopie set ups are not midline attachable. The biggest idea for the x rings are something that's light, can be remotely set up and retrieved, and can take a pounding like a block can, while minimizing the friction.

Atrocious video/editing. I made it almost 2/3's through... perhaps I'm a snob but that was truly dreadful from a video production side.

Product wise, the X wheel is a fair idea in my mind, although I would grow tired of taking it on and off to put a rope on and off. Also doesn't the Hobbs still require a second person to hole the tail of the rope?

Regarding the slings, 2 rings does NOTHING for improving bend radius. I don't know if it affects strength or not, although I would suspect 2 rings would increase strength due to reduced bend angle. The radius is the exact same as before (assuming two of the same rings are used).

Is the thimble replaceable? It will wear quickly. It would be cool/handy/neat for a quick rigging point, but for a main rigging point in a tree, why not set a block?

As an aside, why do they put 3-4 blocks/slings running up the spar? More superfluous time waste?

bennys pics 022.jpg These slings are another piece of equipment in our tool bags that can help make production much easier and faster, and also allowing us to set retrievable rigging points from the ground is a benefit. I own a bunch and they have already worked into our daily routine. I purchased the long white tenex rigging sling and made that into a whoppie sling to have even more adjustability. Definitly has its place and another awesome tool. Bonner as to question (I know it was aimed at Paul) about one ring used for static rigging we use ours for smaller stuff (Basically everything but the trunk) then revert back to blocks for the big stuff. My rope man say's that he can even notice a big difference in the control of the pieces being lowered due to the extra friction added by the x rings, and he doesnt mind packing the rigging bag anymore either. Thats just my 2 cents.

Ben
Bushwacker Tree

As an aside, why do they put 3-4 blocks/slings running up the spar? More superfluous time waste?

I wonder the same thing when I see stuff like that. I understand using more if there's a deflection in the angle of the line to redirect rigging forces. But, if two things are in a straight line the load is going to compress between the first and last points. Maybe we're missing something.

I don't have any of the slings and I'm not really interested in them. They're on the expensive side in my opinion... Tenex is dirt cheap and extremely easy to splice. If the slings came in double braid I can see them being worth the cost.

The idea of a retrievable rigging point seems nice, but I can see those rings getting stuck.

I'd probably spring on buying just some rings to see if I'd change my mind, but I don't think he has any plans to sell them separately.

It's a pass for me.

Problem with selling rings separately is splicing them too the rope. It has to be super super tight from my understanding. He's nervous about people messing that up and thus compromising something.

As for the multiple points along the trunk, I think you're referring to where he was testing the rings by dropping a large piece of wood into them. Could be wrong tho, been awhile since I've seen the movie

The splicing concern is definitely a valild one. I didn't take that into account at all.

Yup, that's the part of the video. I understand why he did it in the video but to keep that thing from snapping he would have needed twice the slings!

Just makes more sense to go a bit smaller and have less equipment to me. To each their own though.

Pretty sure the multiple rings on the trunk was for demo purposes. I think he is trying to show there use in the "fishing pole" rigging technique and possible redirects. I may try the whoppie version bushwackertree is talking about. We have a couple of cambium savers dedicated to light duty rigging bag, which would be similar and cheaper. The prices are a little high in my opinion. Others toys on the list for now.

If only we had knots that would cinch down on the ring super duper tight.

Using a vertical spar to show fish pole rigging makes about as much sense as showing a key being inserted into a lock to illustrate the birds and bees.

xrigging1.JPG xrigging2.JPG You cant even compare these to ring an ring friction savers. The thickness of the ring is thicker and the radius is also larger. As for wear you cant look at these like a thimble,they are aluminum, highly polished, then HARDCOAT ANODIZED. Don't think of it as a coating, it penetrates into the aluminum and also adds some thickness. It makes the surface as hard as hardened tool steel.It is so incredibly low friction and perhaps since hardcoat is non-conductive, it does not get very warm. Only time and use will tell how long they will last but I get the feeling that the slings themselves will wear out long before the rings will. For the cost side of things yes they are pricey but you can buy a couple of these slings for the price of one block. Again just my 2 cents.

Ben
Bushwacker Tree

Ben, your comparing the ring to where the sling mounts on the pulley. Compare it to the pulley where the rope actually runs through.

I found his promotion video lame, I was really embarrassed for him.

How many things can we strap to the tree to take it down? I don't see a need. I've never needed more than two CMI 5/8" blocks, and my little pinto rig on loopie.

I agree with you Brendon. To date, I have only needed a size able block and or my pinto rigs, but then again, we don't relly have trees here just big shrubs. Maybe with trees has a different opinion.:lol:

Atrocious video/editing. I made it almost 2/3's through... perhaps I'm a snob but that was truly dreadful from a video production side.

I found his promotion video lame, I was really embarrassed for him.

I dont think he is worried what people think.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eYNnAvFXi_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would buy two of the rings separately for sure. As is with the slings I think they are priced a little high, but what isn't. I am sure he isn't getting rich on them, bringing something to market is HARD and he likely has tons of costs to recoup yet before he even thinks the word 'profit'.

They way I rig, having a single ring as a redirect isnt really necessary. I would be looking at a beefed up ring-ring friction saver for rigging that I could set remotely.

What I use now is a version of Tom Hoffman's U-Saver. I have a length of 3-strand spliced to a large steel ring and a Pinto RIG on a tenex prussick mounted on it. You just choke the RIG prussick through the ring and its super fast and bomber for what I use it for. If anything I would beef up the 3-strand to a tougher material.

It looks similar to this..
Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 9.38.26 PM.png

I also dont see why a scaffold knot wouldnt serve to attach a stable braid or high mod rope to the rings..

How you present your product matters greatly. I bet the average time watched on that video is under 30%. I made it twice that only because I was watching tv too.

Basically respect your customer's time, if you're trying to promote something. I bet half of that video could have been cut out in editing without losing significant content.

Pinto pulleys with loopie set ups are not midline attachable. The biggest idea for the x rings are something that's light, can be remotely set up and retrieved, and can take a pounding like a block can, while minimizing the friction.

I get that... I am just saying that a pinto rigging pully and loopie/whoopie would be more a preference over a ring for me.
Personally... I use a couple blocks and a large sheeve pulley for most all my needs. Once in a while I will use a mini aluminum pully for redirect or light rigging.
Each midline attachable

How you present your product matters greatly. I bet the average time watched on that video is under 30%. I made it twice that only because I was watching tv too.

Basically respect your customer's time, if you're trying to promote something. I bet half of that video could have been cut out in editing without losing significant content.

I am all over YouTube Analytics. Is there a way to generate a % of minutes watched vs total running time?? Besides hand calculating it..

I just calculated it for the Hitch Hiker video I made, over 50% with 1200 views.. Is that good? I never calculated watched vs total time.

The pics I posted were to show the thickness of the ring compared to say a ring on a friction saver. Yes they don't have the radius of a pulley but are not intended to replace the block only to be used as an added tool in rigging.As for why so many used by the Xman, well that all depends on the tree. The reason though is by adding these redirects is to help redirect the forces down a tree instead of going from say your lowering device at the base to your rigging point at the limb your working on. So all the forces are at point a and point b. Now if you add a redirect straight up the trunk just below the limb your working on (point c) you are adding another point of sharing the load.

Ben
Bushwacker Tree

Back