X-Rigging Rings Tree Work Videos

3 ring sling $139 plus the house discount
I take it your not a fan(that's cool)
Differt stokes differt folks or how ever it goes?

Rings seem to be more for lowering. Blocks can be used for lifting with greater efficiency.

You can hang a ring and ring rigging point with a throwline, as you would a climbing line. You can use a Static, Remotely Removeable, False Crotch (Block) so that you don't magnify your forces again by using a floating anchor point.

3 ring sling $139 plus the house discount
I take it your not a fan(that's cool)
Differt stokes differt folks or how ever it goes?

CMI Zinc Plated 3/4" block-$95
10' 5/8" dead eye sling-$40
Total- $135 plus discount

That block and sling combo is stronger and way more versatile. I'd like to see someone block a spar down on that triple ring sling.

Oh yea, and the block is mid line attachable.

The only thing the XRR's have going for them is remote set and retrieval. But the RIGSAVER also has remote set and retrieval, so if I need to do one of those, I go with the RIGSAVER.

So yea, not a fan. At first I was, but the more I thought about it and played around with some, the more it felt like someone just reinvented the wheel and was trying to charge me double the price for it.

I think I was still pump after watching bix's vid.
They have there place.
Truth is, I still have a lot to learn,but love learning.
All I think about is tree work.I'm hooked bad.
Atfer reading my post back ,I see how it could come off like I was being a smart ass know it all
That was not my intent.
I have nothing but respect for guys on here (rock stars to me)taking time to shair there skills.
That all being said I still think they are a good tool to have in the toolbox.

You are in a good state for tree work.

Boat loads of good tree men starting with Mark Chisolm, and plenty o trees and people that need em worked on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sawman, your attitude is gold brother, keep that and you will someday be the best tree climber in the world...

RangeeDangee... I know you don't like to get fancy with things, when push comes to shove you'll grab the proven block and not think twice about it, and gitter' done just fine... but in a critical or compromised rigging situation, your best option may to use XRR's as they lessen the forces all-around. Negative rigging into a block, before you know it, will be a thing of past.

Blocks are to be used for lifting or pulling back leaners only... Rings are to be used for rigging pieces from the tree, including blocking down spars.

At first I was, but the more I thought about it and played around with some, the more it felt like someone just reinvented the wheel and was trying to charge me double the price for it.

Being able to see through a sales pitch for the truth in your application is always a good thing. 8)

Blocks are to be used for lifting or pulling back leaners only... Rings are to be used for rigging pieces from the tree, including blocking down spars.

Looks like all of you have been doing and teaching it wrong for a lot of years. No doubt they are good for what they're good for. What we really needs is a laser cannon like the military has to trim those hard to reach branches. Now that will be the next great arborist tool. Paul, you need get to work on that one.

CMI Zinc Plated 3/4" block-$95
10' 5/8" dead eye sling-$40
Total- $135 plus discount

That block and sling combo is stronger and way more versatile. I'd like to see someone block a spar down on that triple ring sling.

Oh yea, and the block is mid line attachable.

The only thing the XRR's have going for them is remote set and retrieval. But the RIGSAVER also has remote set and retrieval, so if I need to do one of those, I go with the RIGSAVER.

So yea, not a fan. At first I was, but the more I thought about it and played around with some, the more it felt like someone just reinvented the wheel and was trying to charge me double the price for it.

I know what you mean, we were taught to use Topping strop, a steel shackle, in a spliced rope, same principle, then it was all pulleys, now it's all come round. Mind you, at that money, I'll get em when I'm in town.

I've been very skeptical about them for a long time. I keep seeing them more and more in tree videos and they seem to be what Bixler says they are, which is awesome. I'm wondering about longevity on them and which ones to start with. I've yet to wear out my blocks but they seem to be getting heavier the older I get.

in a critical or compromised rigging situation, your best option may to use XRR's as they lessen the forces all-around.

Blocks roughly double the force on the tree, how much force do the rings apply?

The X rings are good. Their time for practical used in this industry is actually long past due. You don't need blocks for lowering. You need friction for lowering. If pulling that is another thing. Blocks work better. My hats off to David Driver for implementing the tool and method into practical use.

I've been very skeptical about them for a long time. I keep seeing them more and more in tree videos and they seem to be what Bixler says they are, which is awesome. I'm wondering about longevity on them and which ones to start with. I've yet to wear out my blocks but they seem to be getting heavier the older I get.

Don't worry about wearing things out, consider if they make you more money because you can set from the ground, etc.

I think that there are two aspects here in the forces. Blocks will double the force (almost) only when both legs run 180*. You have rope stretch in the system. You have less force on the on the rigging point the more friction it has. You will put more force on the individual section of rope that is working between the friction point and load.

If you're using a LD (Port-a-wrap, figure 8, Belay Spool) at 100', you may only have 10-20' of rope to absorb some of the load, whereas if you're redirecting with blocks, you could have a whole spool in the system, which I suggest will mean a lot more give, meaning reduction of load coupled with magnification of load from the redirect.

I would be careful to dump trunk wood with a top-mounted lowering device. Too little rope in the system. Becomes a bit like catching on static rope.

Blocks roughly double the force on the tree, how much force do the rings apply?

If they have 80% efficiency, a 1000 pound load on one side would require a 800 holding force = 1800 # on the anchor in a static situation. I think that David's diagram suggested that number. 200 pounds of holding force is supplied by the friction of rope on rings.

sawman, your attitude is gold brother, keep that and you will someday be the best tree climber in the world...

RangeeDangee... I know you don't like to get fancy with things, when push comes to shove you'll grab the proven block and not think twice about it, and gitter' done just fine... but in a critical or compromised rigging situation, your best option may to use XRR's as they lessen the forces all-around. Negative rigging into a block, before you know it, will be a thing of past.

It'll never be a thing of the past. I'm all for getting fancy when need be, but I'll get fancy with blocks before I do with rings. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to use xrr's because I'm worried about the forces I'm putting on the TIPS, then I probably shouldn't be climbing that tree in the first place or if I am, it better have a crane on it.

Like I said, someone just reinvented the wheel and tried to charge almost double for it, or in this case, simply slapped a new name on a product that was already on the market and charged more because it had their name on it.

I don't usually set my rigging from the ground so it's not an issue of time saved there. I see the advantage there though. I'm thinking of getting that three ringed configuration and at least one dead eye.

I think that there are two aspects here in the forces. Blocks will double the force (almost) only when both legs run 180*. You have rope stretch in the system. You have less force on the on the rigging point the more friction it has. You will put more force on the individual section of rope that is working between the friction point and load.

If you're using a LD (Port-a-wrap, figure 8, Belay Spool) at 100', you may only have 10-20' of rope to absorb some of the load, whereas if you're redirecting with blocks, you could have a whole spool in the system, which I suggest will mean a lot more give, meaning reduction of load coupled with magnification of load from the redirect.

I would be careful to dump trunk wood with a top-mounted lowering device. Too little rope in the system. Becomes a bit like catching on static rope.

Pretty much said it all right there.

slapped a new name on a product that was already on the market and charged more because it had their name on it.

Yup.

What is the price diff between Antal rings and the "rigging rings"

Back