WTB Brush Bandit

I never put the winch on my bandit 250 even though it has the mount for it too. The odd time I wish I had it but with a mini not very often.

Grapple on that size I don't think so. IMO from having the 250xp. I wouldn't want to be a lot heavier in a single axle.

I've setup the grapple trailer for feeding the chipper! It's an extremely efficient operation. I'm still exploring the rear mount grapple trailer. That would be an even better operation!!

Do tell about a rear mount grapple trailer! I love the idea behind it, 15-18', gooseneck. I'd think it'd be a little more stable. Just have to find the company to build it.

Yes. Keep in mind my mechanical knowledge could be encapsulated in a small thimble, but to me it seems without the weight up front that it would want to tip back, loading the hitch or 5th wheel improperly.

Sounds overly complex. Just opening up the back of the chipper and the extended reach would be worth it in your opinion? I'm still wanting some real log loading power myself.

Yes. Keep in mind my mechanical knowledge could be encapsulated in a small thimble, but to me it seems without the weight up front that it would want to tip back, loading the hitch or 5th wheel improperly.

Maybe some counter weights up front, mounted under the frame, to help offset the weight of the loader in the rear. When you have logs on it it wouldn't be bad. Seems like the weight of the loader would be carried on the trailer axles, so you'd just have to figure out how much weight would be needed up front to keep it balanced or slightly front heavy when towed empty.

As its way past my bedtime I've been running thru setups in my head...I keep bouncing a water transfer tank deal around.
Counter weight when needed!!

Better yet, how about a fuel transfer tank, so you could carry diesel around, with a few counter weights to help balance it when the tank starts getting low.

Its not the empty towing that concerns that me, but when you reach straight off the back, max reach and grab that huge log and try to swing it into the front of the trailer...

I thought empty towing was the issue! Like Scott, I figured outriggers would be the key for doing any work with the grapple. Sure, it might be a wobbly, but you'd be good, Reaching straight back at max reach, to me is no different than when you'd load a machine into the back of the trailer, The front may want to rise up, but you're not loading the hitch incorrectly imo.

Chock your front tires. I rode a case skidsteer, on the trailer, behind a truck, down a hill once, and I assure you there was absolutely nothing funny or enjoyable about it. If you load a hitch upward, you have a slight possibility in some cases of lifting the back axle of the truck off the ground. People have asked me why I didn't just hurry forward in the skidsteer and get it off the ramps and rear of the trailer and onto the trailer to set the back of the truck back down. Reason is, I gained some speed downhill in a hurry and the friction from the ramps was holding things back a bit until the hill leveled out. If I took that moving truck and trailer combo and dropeed the rear axle of the truck back down onto the ground quickly in park, I am certain I would have blown the rear or u joint and gone for a REAL wild ride.

Living in flatistan:rolleyes: I don't have that fear anymore but in Vt. I had to load the new ASV with a 8 ft oak log, same deal before it stopped truck had moved near ten feet. Worse was being pushed sideways down the hill after:eek:
When in doubt power out,truely saved my hide that day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I started riding a spider lift down a hill off a trailer as the gm forgot to pull the pin on the tilt trailer, moved about ten feet before i knew what was happening. Heart pumper for sure.

Back