Would you do this?

It was how he handled that saw that bothered me the most. I did not like how close it was to his leg.

I still want to know did he one handed do upper cuts.
That takes an arm.
I couldnt tell in the vid

Several years ago I went almost a year when I was unable to hold a top handle Echo one handed at arm's length shoulder high with the bar straight out. Looking back I realize now that I had torn something, but at the time I just thought I was weak and pushed myself harder, trying not to let anybody know how weak I was.

i agree that will kill your shoulders! id do that if the lines were grounded but as mentioned with a 200t

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is completely ridiculous.

Besides, he was on the phone line and a non energized service drop. You can tow a truck with one of those cables, your main concern is making sure the poles aren't compromised. It's a helluva lot stronger than his rope.

Not quite, Brian. I'm sure those were pole to pole. I'd never stand on a service drop, as the mast where it is attached to a house would not be very strong.

I'm thinking his feet were on the cable, and upper body tied to the phone...or vice versa.....or the upper coulda been the secondary.

I agree on the 346 one handing....dicey...he'da really been dangling if the saw cut the lower line.

cable and phone i beleive are bundled at hiis feet, looked to me like he was flipped into the service drop.

Is that what you call the pole to pole secondary lines that break off and go to a few houses? I always though it was just the lines to each house that were called that....but what do I know......

Oh, i've invited him over.....and he actually is here, but asked me to keep mum as to who he is....I told him we'd welcom him with open.....uhhh

welll....

...arm...

...aments LOL

Yup, pole to pole secondary, that's what I was referring to. Bad habit of referring to secondaries (anything past the transformer) as a service drop.

Butch, it's useful being able to identify different types of lines at a glance. I wouldn't necessarily call it 'speculating'.

Impressive. Now would that make him a lineman or a line clearance man? lol. Just a small one there.

Ack! He's here already? He's already one of us and he didn't want to share that video? Where's the fun in that?

cable and phone i beleive are bundled at hiis feet, looked to me like he was flipped into the service drop.
which he was tied in to.....

I liked the chin music....

check out ekka's slo-mo video...he's all bent about the impressive bit of work....and invited comments on it at his youtube page

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8m2o2IDO3AQ

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8m2o2IDO3AQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8m2o2IDO3AQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Plan your work and work your plan. Resourceful thinking of him to tie into the wires. He figured out all the angles, made sure everything was going to swing away from him and was tied in twice with good footing before making the release cut. Of course it swung him a little but he was expecting that. :thumbup:

I agree with Butch, wrong saw for the job.

Maybe a little nuts, but what tree guy isn't?

Good job. :)

you got it, Jack! And I did two......

Hell the slowmo version makes it obvious he had a plan.

This reminds me of, and the only old school rock guys will remember this, but it used to be controversial to climb using dynamic moves like lunges and swings. You were supposed to climb with static controlled moves. Dynos were considered uncontrolled and poor form.
John Gill put dynamic moves on the map and now they're accepted as good, even essential technique. It's just another tool in the box these days but back then... it was unsafe... especially if you were unroped.

The guy had a plan. He knew where he was going and where that heavy ass saw was going and where all that wood was going... it just all happened at once so it looks chaotic. Some rigging is like that, half an hour tying a piece off and getting it balanced and 5 seconds of terror when you pull the trigger. If ekka is going off about it being unsafe, his slowmo video doesn't support his case... plus it's probably a copyright violation for him to post someone else's video on youtube.

I agree with Roger about stepping on drops, the weatherhead at the service entry is not designed to handle that kind of loading. I've stood on energized drops, but I was treading lightly. The comms cables I've been around wouldn't move even a millimeter if you stood on'em.

I had edit the hell out of it to make it fit, but it's there.

Looks like yours is already gone. Pulling comments with opposing viewpoints is lame, who does he think he is George Bush?

I woulda called Progress and had the cut the secondary letting it fall on the wires below......or crane.....or bucket

looks like this guys style
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P8tprAIQFCE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P8tprAIQFCE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back