Work shirt recommendations

With all the blackberry brambles in the woods here, short sleeves make you look like you've tried to rape a grizzly.

We had to wear short sleeves on the flight deck. :drink:

f30og.jpg

From here.

Good pic Butch, one thing I've notice on my trips to warmer climes is that manual workers usually cover up their arms and everything else.

When we went to Flight Quarters, we had to gear up in a CO2 inflatable life vest and roll our sleeves down, slap on our skullbuckets.

So you weren't even standing up:\:

I think you need to come visit sometime, I'll take you out hardwood logging.
No sitting around in the shade, there:P
We had 5 lumber graders on each shift sitting at the grading table with a 10 minute break every hour with a relief grader for each of us..
The big planer was feeding our grading table chains with no space between pieces.
Quite incredible how we did it.
Mostly 2x4 spruce 8'-16' with alot of 2x6 and some 2x10.

On good going we could run 50,000 pieces of 2x4-8' stud per 8 hr shift on the average . Many times 50,000 shifts of 2x4-10'12'14'16'.
30 rail cars leaving the mill every day on good production weeks 90% going to the US.

Sometimes I'd keep my 3 ton dump truck at work and buy cull logs from the mill and process it outside the mill site into firewood during periods when I couldn't get to the birch in the bush. That was handy, but spruce didn't make great firewood.

I think you need to come visit sometime, I'll take you out hardwood logging.
No sitting around in the shade, there:P
Ha ha that's funny Stig. Whose talking about sitting in the shade. Come up here to our spruce country on a nice hot summer with 20 hrs of sunlight a day. And feel the heat of the sun magnifIed by the dark green color of the timber.Thick as hair on a dog's back , no breeze and lots of muggy humidity.
:)

Got it from Bailey's Corey. Actually it's installed wrong in the pic as the velcro didn't match fit the velcro on the inside of the helmet. So I just stuck it between my head and suspension. That shade was for my climbing Pacific helmet , there should be a gap between it and your head.
Makes a big big improvement working in the hot summer sun.

Thanks. I need something like that to keep my leatherneck from turning to shite.

Ah, Fi...we love the thought of the breeze around your, uh...just to think of you cool and comfortable, of course. Nothing more, of course. Nothing.

;)
Your braver then me Burnham:D I was thinking the same thing but just couldn't verbally express myself...

Braver, smoother than you tough Canadians with my command of language...but still a despicably soft example of humanity, to my never ending shame.

A single glass of scotch, so no alcohol fuzziness to blame my testy attitude with you on...that's my fault alone. Your continued dis of the hardiness of my work environment is a sore point yet. Not changing my mind soon, either. Sorry for that, Willard. I respect you greatly, but you can be a real azz. I'll get over it.

Sorry if I direspected your culture out there Burnham..but you have to understand as close as I am to nature in a different part of the world
After our long winters I'm just going through a little spring fever at the moment.....it will pass:)

A single glass of scotch, so no alcohol fuzziness to blame my testy attitude with you on...that's my fault alone. Your continued dis of the hardiness of my work environment is a sore point yet. Not changing my mind soon, either. Sorry for that, Willard. I respect you greatly, but you can be a real azz. I'll get over it.

Think how it makes me feel, Burnham.

I've conctantly been told that my flat, cosy work environment with it's itty bitty trees is absolutely nothing compared to the great PNW and that as a consequence, I as a faller, is a complete wimp.

Now I'm told that those great PNW fallers, that I so looked up to, are a bunch of softies.

What does that make me?

An über softie.

Think I'll go hang myself in one of my minuscule trees, if I can find one that it tall enough, so my feet won't touch the ground.:)

Willard, when you get up from kneeling before your little shrine with a picture of yourself on top of it, consider this:

We are all tough here!

From the man who topped out giant Redwoods to the diminutive woman who carved herself a solid niche in a male dominated field.
Yes, and even the guy who made his living clearing acres of little boreal pecker poles.

If we weren't tough as nails, would we be doing this work?

Aww c'mon guys, Willard's just having a go at y'all.

What's hot? Hot's what...what?

Burnham...good use of all the smilies....you all should be glad I actually wear long sleeve shirts at work...might give you brain damage thinking of the alternatives 8)8)

A question of safety versus looking like a clean tree worker, IMO.

I have a hard enough time seeing guys anyway, while orchestrating the whole job. This was the best view of the groundie during the whole tree, down in the hole where I stripped dead wood off a live tree for a high TIP for the neighboring dead one.
21a1bdbbae27b60de5c286de5f2ad96e.jpg

Once he was 10' to the side from this position, i could hardly see him through the foliage.

Good point!

I do think safety Orange is more visible than safety yellow for tree work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange is excellent in conifers any time of the year, but orange amongst most hardwoods and tamarack [larch] in the fall not so good.
Blue is a an easy color to see in the forest, wonder if their is such a thing as fluorescenct blue?

Either way it's got to be fluorescent, and fluorescent yellow/lime is bright. I think it "may" actually reflect the suns rays making it a cooler shirt to wear.;)

There are bright blue with 'safety' stripes, not the reflective ones, but those, too.

Orange, yellow, and blue shirts. Maybe some nice polka dots.

We have a tree here called balsam fir, not sure what a similar tree is called out west.
Those trees ooze so much sap that if I work with them I have a pair of chaps and shirts just for those trees. Use my oldest dirtiest saw too.
Those chaps have so much sap stuck to them that they stand up on their own..

Back