Work shirt recommendations

Yes short spurts of tough is one thing, but a lifetime of it is another and that's how we like it out here....the feeling of accomplishment is good.:P

I wear short sleeve shirts all summer, winter too. But I always wear a t shirt underneath, even in summer and I never wear shorts. I am always amazed when I see Kiwi's or Aussies in shorts working. Just the way they were brought up I guess. The Kiwi's cant believe we wear as much clothes as we do, but you should not wear shorts and flip flops in snake country.

When its fire time, thats a different story, Burnham is right. If you dont have your greens and yellows rolled ALL the way down, you dont get off the engine. I wear a t shirt under my yellow long sleeved shirt too. Nomex hurts my nipples. All the PPE a logger should have, PLUS a line pack. You get hardened into it.

As a non-firefighter and general limp wristed wuss, can I ask what Nomex is?

Yes I guess it's a regional thing Burnham. It sure is nice moderate weather out on the west coast, the many summers I spent out there I can't remember anything over 80F. Easy to get soft out there.

Reminds me of stories my Grandpa told when he immigrated to Saskatchewan in 1900 and took up a 1/4 section of free land and homesteaded it. He was from the northern central area of Norway so he could better handle the prairie extreme temps of -50 below and a few months later 110 above in the summer months...... raising a family in a one room sod shack with dirt floor for the first few years.

But a few of his buddies from coastal Norway couldn't handle one winter of that let alone the summer and headed for the coast of B.C. and ended up working in fish processing plants.
115 years later Grandpa's kin are still doing very well for them selves in this land only for the strong.:)

Where exactly in Norway was your grandpa from?

Rich, my Grandpa came from the Stjordal valley. His farm is right on the Stjordal River which has some of the best Atlantic salmon fly fishing in Norway, comparable to the River Tweed.
His 6 brothers were spread out from Hegra to Flornes. Historically the Hegra Fortress was built to keep out the Swedes but it 1940 it's famous for a seige with the Nazis, whom they held off for a month.
My Grandma came from the Andelsnes- Alesund/Moa region on the coast .

Yes short spurts of tough is one thing, but a lifetime of it is another and that's how we like it out here....the feeling of accomplishment is good.:P

Which type of shirt did you prefer for standing indoors for years, grading lumber, while the rest of us were out logging:P

Cool, my missus family are from Lofoten Islands. Fisherman going after the White gold - Skrie, Kveite, and Whale. Her dad family are from Hameray nr Fauske.

Not been to the middle areas of Norway apart from Hemsedal for snowboarding but I have spent a lot of time North of the Polar line.

I am currently in Oslo.

As for keeping on topic, I have no idea what the composition of their work shirts. ;)

Which type of shirt did you prefer for standing indoors for years, grading lumber, while the rest of us were out logging:P
Those 13 years when I was a bachelor grading lumber 8 hr day 5 day a week, the first 5 years I was out logging birch stove length firewood with my 3 ton Ford . After dayshift and the mornings of afternoon shift and every 2nd weekend.
I used a Ski Doo Apline and 14' sleigh in winter.
I'd just sit in the grading chair to rest up for the next 12 hr day. Then the last 8 years I was doing residential removals before I pulled the pin from my 30 career with the company.
Being doing res and some ROW work ever since. That firewood was tougher then hand logging any day.
No time wasted on the internet in those days:D

'kay...it's not humid unless it's OVER 80% is what I'm sayin'!

Long sleeve woven half button cotton work shirt, slightly big, no undershirt. Lots of breeze up the arms (cuffs unfastened or rolled up above wrists) and down the neck. The weave dries out plenty fast. A 100% cotton T shirt (long or short sleeve) gets wet, clings, drags and takes forever to dry in the humidity and heat of Bermyland.

In Tassie its all about the layers, although I don't sweat nearly as much (humidity is high here if it gets to 70%...I laugh scoffingly) 100% cotton next to the skin is cold. A blend or synthetic top is necessary next to the skin...in winter. I can get away with cotton next to the skin for the few hot days of summer...but then my neck and arms get burnt, to out comes the woven button front collar shirts again with that nice breeze around my....

Tommy, speaking of humidity I can't think of a worse place then where you are in southern Ontario. You got it tough there man.

Fiona thank you for the interesting explanation "how to wear a work shirt" .

Rich seeing your in Oslo you may know these guys from a recent ISA conference there that my buddy was at.
http://t.co/0DfnfrEDLa
http://t.co/QzfvcVugmy

Here's my modified full synthetic Bailey's HiVi short sleeve shirt for extra ventilation Fiona ,I think I showed it before. This shirt is soft as butter and wicks sweat and dries like nothing I've ever worn before. 110F hot weather I got it covered.....with a smile.
20140624_190124.jpg

Ah, Fi...we love the thought of the breeze around your, uh...just to think of you cool and comfortable, of course. Nothing more, of course. Nothing.

:D.

On the other hand Willard, you can roast, so far as I'm concerned.
:evil:

;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well the t shirt guy gave me a few samples of 50/50 and a few different weighted 100% cottons to try out before I decide. I thought that was nice since I'm such a small client.

Humidity isn't typically a problem for me. Wearing the helmet all day is like a greenhouse on my head anyways. Thanks for the input so far.

Come up north to the land of a 100,000 lakes in the dead of summer you two and we'll have you sweating in the shade. 110 with 90% I promise:D
And you thought Manitoba was cold:lol:

I'd just sit in the grading chair to rest up

So you weren't even standing up:\:

I think you need to come visit sometime, I'll take you out hardwood logging.
No sitting around in the shade, there:P

Our crew will stick with long sleeve even in 100 degree weather. When you work in the blazing sun, long sleeves are PPE!

I much prefer short sleeves, but when I asked the crew, they all instantly said they wanted long sleeves.

Back