Woodworking

Yes, this is mine! I think I am going to have to sand again, the epoxy seems to have swollen up a little since I moved it under the bed in the warmer house. Not a biggie, just annoying being that close and having to work it again!

It sure looks fine.
Hope it doesn't crack when it dries out.

Interesting on the toxicity question. I was not aware of the findings. It was/is a big thing at least over here, finish toxicity, maybe not so much for smaller items, but like for interior and exterior surfaces, and sometimes furniture was getting a hard look too. I like to play dumb and answer every question with "yes". Suddenly a lot of people were buying these German products that really push their no toxicity when being marketed. Green leaves all over the labels. Super expensive too, probably a lot of it is hype. Wonder how the driers in some oils, I believe being a petroleum product, would affect toxicity? After hardening, OK? Relatively small amount is required to allow quicker hardening....a few drops. I like how thinned oil, thinner or turpentine added, allows better penetration for the first application of oil, then generally use lesser thinned or no thinning at all after that. If you guys can find the Egoma or Perilla oil, specifically sold for finishing, give it a try. Unusual moisture protection from a pure oil. Now I can get it with a drier added, which I really like.

You should try some Urushiol Jay ;)

Ed, not familiar with urushiol....you mean urushi? Great stuff, will sometimes hire someone to apply it for me. I get a rash and itch like crazy from the raw extract, and quite a developed skill he has. 2nd generation urushi artist.

Did you take it to someone with a plane Andy?

No Steve, I was going to have it put on a band mill, but at 32" wide it wouldn't fit so I cut it as straight as I could with the chainsaw then used an electric handplane to get it sandable.

been a while since anyone posted in this thread. i thought i'd throw a couple of my most recent projects on here. we moved not too long ago, and we needed a coffee table and a stand for our lizards cage. ive always liked the idea of using pallets as a resource, and ive done a few projects with some success (and much cursing of pallet nails). if you look around, there are some beautiful woods hidden in pallets. so here goes, first the coffee table. its mostly oak with a few pieces of ash and maybe elm or butternut or something...

IMG-20120726-00104.jpg IMG-20120726-00098.jpg

next is the coffee table. i wanted to do something a little more refined. the legs are wine barrell staves, the rest is from a single pallet. absolutely no idea what kind of wood it is.

IMGP6498.jpg IMGP6490.jpg

cheers. jaime

Nice going, Jamie. There can be some surprisingly good wood in pallets. I have seen some Mahogany used, they could be called exotic pallets.

thanks all. just regular shipping pallets Butch. ive got a pile of really beautiful quartersawn oak stashed for the next project. a long time ago i found a bunch of pallets made out of (i think) eucalyptus, really awesome wood, but hard as a rock. they are made out of whatever is cheap and available, so a pallet plant in the Philippines might make them out of something we never see, then it gets shipped here and thrown away... or hoarded by guys like me:D.

hm, 20 years ago when I dealt with pallets more often we would retain the mahogany and oak ones, they were mo betta than than the pine and balsa ones...

Back