Wobbly Gaffs

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Something is reamed/worn out cuz I can't get the two screws any tighter than they already are. I wonder if it's a gaff problem or a shank problem, and (if it's the latter) would new gaffs help or not? Maybe I can weld them together?

Anyone else have wiggley gaffs? FTR, they are Bashlin.

Did you try replacing the screws? Aluminum or steel gaffs?

Steel will weld to steel, and aluminum to aluminum.

When you screw the screw into the gaffs themselves, without going through the shank, they shouldn't be wobbly if the screws and threads in the gaffs are OK. If they aren't wobbly, then the hole in the shank must be worn.

It seems that a welder could fill in the worn holes and it could be re-drilled, or just weld the gaffs to the shank, as you mentioned. Either wouldn't be much of a job. Any machine shop in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That must feel weird.

The odd thing is it doesn't bother me standing on them, it just messes with me when I'm trying to accurately stab the tree.

It seems that a welder could fill in the worn holes and it could be re-drilled, or just weld the gaffs to the shank, as you mentioned.

The dissimilar metals would be a problem, I think.

Buckingham T2 titaniums.

So they are stronger than aluminum?

aha...

Titanium is very light, have some bike parts made from it. It's strange to pick it up, it feels so light, but different from aluminum.

You'll be pleased to know that magnets won't stick to it either.

maybe slightly larger screws?
my buddies titanium wedding ring feels like plastic

Butch, you could try to epoxy the gaffs into the shanks...just mix and spread it in the wallered out holes, then screw 'em down as tight as they'll go. Give 'em plenty of cure time. They won't be replaceable any more, but I bet they'd not wobble either.

Start with a brand new set of replaceable gaffs and they'd last a loooong time before you had to get a full new set.

RDog, I don't think the screws are the problem, it's the holes that the gaffs themselves mount into. I should have been more clear...epoxy the fitted slot/hole that the gaff seats into. I think doing so would stop the wobble, but would set the gaffs permanently as well.

Look at the Bashlin replaceable gaffs....the upside-down L shaped part on the back of gaff mates into a corresponding milled slot in the shank...that's probably where the looseness is, I'm thinking.

http://www.wesspur.com/spurs/replacement_spur_gaffs.html

Worth noting that the wallowing out almost certainly occured because the screws got loose just a little bit...I better check mine to make sure they are still snug.

Is it both gaffs, Butch...both the same amount of looseness?

If so, maybe my premise above is incorrect, maybe just unavoidable wear from heavy use.

Sorry, I thought the screws held it in. But by looking at the link I see you would need to just epoxy them in like Burnham recommended.

If you do every need to remove them,just heat the gaff a little to soften the epoxy. Just not over 150 to 200 deg. or you could start to change the aluminum properties.

macgyver.jpg

Back