Wisconsin V4HD Motor problems

• Thread starter Tree Guy's Wife
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 11K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You might have a mechanic check it out before you ditch it.

My dad said last night that he was going to call a friend of his, a master mechanic he knows from logging, to see what he thought. If anyone can make things work it's him. We won't be doing anything too fast.

probably would, but i dont think you need pistons. compression testers are cheap and its an easy thing to pull each spark plug and check compression. there may be one with lower compression than the others. if so you may have a stuck valve there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think at this point we're leaning towards a stuck valve. Let's hope!

This damned machine ,I can't even follow links for some reason .:what: After I get home from work,about midnight ,I'll look up a set of rings .

More than likely though it's a valve but then again a stuck or burnt valve won't blow oil out the fill spout . I may have a set of rings plus some valves but I won't know until this weekend when I go to my shop . If I have them I'll send them to you .

I didn't pay a dime for them because they scrapped out all the Wisconsin stuff at work about 10-15 years ago and went to all battery drives on the work buggies .

Another thought on the matter .Bear with me because I forget things from time to time then it all comes back .

If that engine was an old haybailer engine it likely has the holes in carb where the throttle shaft goes through all wallered out causing an air leak which in turn causes a lean run about like a saw with a bad seal . Like I said before an updraft Marvel -Scebler carb is a giant pain the rear end ,to put it mildly .

The reason is the fact that when the bailer comes around to compress the hay with the plunger it cause the goverener to crack nearly wide open then lay off as the plunger returns . The result is a wallered out carb .Not a problem just install new bushings on the carb shaft or have some made .

Jesus Al where did you learn all that stuff?
Incredible if i had one percent of your mechanics mind i could save a bale of cash each year.
I actually enjoy working on stuff to, its so peaceful well compared to tree work.
Its just i havent a clue .

Tree guys wife sounds like yall just need to get some good cash paying jobs done and get that chipper a nice new diesel.

If it is a VH4D motor I may have some parts for it.

Most Wisconsins, no matter how new they are blow a little white smoke from the filler tube. Its the nature of the beast.

I am saying no to the stuck valve theory as it would skip at low idle also.

Its a flat head so it should be easy for you guys to pull a head and check the valve condition.

I would pull the plugs out and give them a good look. They could be fouled if the engine is using oil. They can also tell you a bit about cylinder condition. A compression tester is next. A decent one shouldn't be much over 20 bucks.

Another thing .Those damned Wisconsins are noted for breaking head bolts when you disassmble them . Before you ever reassemble one use some good anti-sieze compound on the bolts .

What you have is an aluminum head resting on a cast iron cylinder held in place by steel bolts . A fine place for electrolisis to start .

If by chance they start to come out hard and if you can get a partial turn on them ,satuarate as best you can with krool or liquid wrench . Let em soak a little .Run them in and out ,maybe a little tap with a brass hammer . Once you get them out run a tap through the hole to clean out the crud .

These engines are odd ducks! When they run right, they run for ever!!!
Yes, they are plauged with problems, but when all sorted out, they are tanks!
I would not go out of my way to buy one, but if I had a piece with one on it running good, I wouldn't be afraid of it.
They really are an oddity!

I wouldn't neccessarily call it an odd duck,more like old school .

The three big names in medium sized power units used to be Continental ,Hercules and Wisconsin . I guess being somewhat old school I have all three .;)

If a valve has carbon on it a fine mist of cold water in the carb when up to running temp might break it loose...

Back