Wire Rope

theTreeSpyder

TreeHouser
worksafebc.com/en/resources/health-safety/books-guides/a-manual-on-splicing?lang=en
This manual contains simple how-to instructions for splicing on cable yarding systems. It also features information on creating the various splicing connections you need, along with special connections, such as Molly Hogans. Other subjects covered include special knots, general purpose knots, and threading procedures. This manual should be used as a training tool for the new worker and a reference guideline for the experienced splicer.
worksafebc.com/en/resources/health-safety/books-guides/cable-yarding-systems-handbook
A comprehensive reference handbook for cable log-harvesting systems used in B.C. The safe work procedures detailed in this handbook are applicable to both coastal and interior logging operations.

A lifetime ago for me now. I don't miss cable logging one bit. Ok, maybe one bit, but not a lot. Brutal hard work.

Stringing haywire always got my attention with those 150lb coils to be brought through the brush.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i've been around some of this, just captured here for reference if anyone needed tho; as not easiest to find info; part of heritage of tree work etc..
Mostly for me, bears out parallel work to view as different facets of same principle gems, verify theories etc. of rope/flexible support materials handling.
To me finding the lemonaid ; the yin/yang to flip to the strength of weakness; is this 'weakness' gives the ability to tell the difference; where others are not affected at all/ or not so noticeably by the forces etc.
Similariliy>>if i can show the big guys how i have to do something, they save a lot of effort might not have been able to sift to on their own, at least not so immediately, especially if not looking for it etc. , or even them trusting their can be a lighter finesse way rather than bulldogging thru all , all day. Sometimes i even purpose-fully position self weaker to the shituation than necessary,just to find these paths...
Wire rope, is so much stiffer than rope, so must adhere to all the pure inline strategies even more so;
and illustrates this to us at every turn, literally.
Wire Rope is (mostly) stronger than ropes, but 'expresses' more of this Achilles heel weakness to deformation/taking support column out of line even this minute bit. Then this benchmark model guides many thoughts; to constant grooming knots during manufacture to this pure inline profiling. Then, as collective inefficiencies and weaknesses stack to multiply against efforts and safety, they are simply forged to be less at each stage, to extrude less loss at the end of the loss multiplier chain(s).
never-saddle-a-dead-horse-in-safety-1-638.jpg

For me, The saddle is the wider set side of the clamp.
You ONLY saddle the LIVE end/side because the Ubolt side of clamp would not be as 'soft' would deform cable more.
>> So give softer deformation to loaded / LIVE side of cable for most strength, deforming only 'DEAD' side with the 'sharper' Ubolt side of clamp.
note even mixed to try to give best of both worlds to either side is errant, fails earlier in the 'staggered' /alternating clamp arrainge-meant than the proper ,only saddle LIVE side of cable/side carrying loading. Then keep watching same loaded aspect view in rope workings.
Rope, to me has same characteristics as cable, only rope isn't as sensitive of a read-able barometer to these changes as the stiffer cable of the flexible support family(tension only support of rope, cable, chain,web etc. / non-rigid supports).
So,the more exaggerated reaction of the wire rope re-affirms this principle as the wire rope brings it so much more closely into view by it's magnification/ exaggeration of what happens in rope etc.
This is 1 place where i directly get outcry of 'pure inline' to measure the lay of the systems as a 'roman column' of support for rope/knots/rigs.

I can attest first hand that ubolt clamps installed in-correctly don't grip properly. They will and do slip. Seen it on spar guy lines from dumbasses rigging it up wrong.

Gerry B. Made a fine wire splicing video once:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jBlvFRDHdgM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can attest first hand that ubolt clamps installed in-correctly don't grip properly. They will and do slip. Seen it on spar guy lines from dumbasses rigging it up wrong.

good info Spydey, I dint know that.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/P4D1Tg2"><a href="//imgur.com/P4D1Tg2">Braiding a metal hose</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've only done a couple of eye splices which were on the winch lines of a line truck 1/2" cable .Wire served .It isn't a joy to do and you'd best have a good pair of leather gloves because that wire will eat you up .