Winch information sought

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Pine forests in Japan are being ravaged by Pine Wilt Disease, which attacks certain species of Pine, particularly our Akai Matsu, or Red Pine. The Disease is rapidly spreading throughout the country, and has moved into my area.

The prefectural government has cut loose funds to begin a removal program of the dead trees. A fellow I sometimes work with, bid on and won a contract, and wants to hire me for a two month removal project, a small crew with good mobility to go from area to area where the disease has occurred.....and has offered good wages.

The program requires the trees being cut down, and all the limbs and brush, and cut up trunks being placed under a specific sized tarp, where someone will later come along and fumigate beneath the covering, or we'll do the fumigation...not sure.

The areas are diverse, the number of trees varies from place to place. More often than not, vehicle entry to where the trees are located will be limited. His plan is to purchase a winch that can be set up to skid the logs to the area where they can get cut up and covered, save the labor of hauling by hand. I guess that he's thinking similar with the brush. I think we are looking at about six foot sections of trunk after being cut. The winch would need to be transportable by one or two people, and hopefully be in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars. Pulling power, I'm thinking that two tons or so would cover it. Pulling rope seems like it might make life easier, rather than cable, if such is available and practical.

He's asked me to look into purchasing a winch from the states. Generally speaking, considerably cheaper prices can be found abroad, compared to domestic sales for such equipment. Neither of us has much experience with winches.

Can anyone in the house kindly offer any advice or thoughts on a type or make of winch that might suit our needs for this application?

Thanks very much!

Jay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, one like that seems like it wood do the job. I'll follow up on it. Two tons on the power it says. It would be nice to have one that uses either rope or cable. I imagine that with those rope winches, if you tried to use cable on the aluminum capstan, it probably would tear it up....?

Originally he was asking me to enquire about one of those Lewis chainsaw winches. I doubt a saw could handle the hard use for winch power, but I have never used one.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=LW 400MK2
lewis%20winch.jpg

LW_N1002_L.jpg

Yeah, Willie, you can double the pulling capacity with that set-up. Do you think a chainsaw winch could handle the load all day long? Wonder if the engine could take it? I figured out that you'd need about a 70cc saw to get the required grunt.

It would be hours on end, and day after day. I've run a mill hard, but never for a couple month period straight.

Be nice to hear from someone who has one of those.

I have an old Lewis winch, powered by a Stihl 056. It does the job...but has a big downside from a safety point of view. You have to operate the saw throttle from right behind the spool, placing you in a lousy location should you have a anchor or cable break. I try to mitigate this by rigging a short leg redirect if possible, but still it's always made me hinky when the load gets substantial.

I have owned and used both the Lewis wire cable and the Simpson rope capstan winches. I ran the rope capstan winch with a 034 Super and it has plenty of power. IMO the rope capstan style winch is the only way to go. With the wire cable you need to be careful how if is wrapping. The rope capstan gives you unlimited length and if doesn't lose pulling power like the cable because it doesn't wrap around a drum. The wire cable also starts to fray and it just isn't as good.

The one that Leon linked to looks very good. I haven't tried it but I will vouch for the Simpson winch.

Also found out that the Simpson winch that Leon linked to has a 10 year warranty on the winch and 1 year on the Tecumseh engine. Go for it.

But only a 2500# capacity. I have a Lewis that rarely gets used. It has an old saw powerhead on it when I bought it but I never used it for all day. Mostly pull critters out of ravines with it but I have skidded logs into a trailer with it. Not only does the snatch block double the capacity but lessens the load on the saw

You'll need two of whatever you decide on.

Good gig man, cheers to you guys!

Great help, thanks guys. Figuring in the cost of a new chainsaw and comparing, makes the winch Leon recommended look attractive....plus the features. The guy purchasing doesn't have a large enough saw without buying one, and I'm going to be stingy and not volunteer mine to run the winch.

Noted the safety concern on the Lewis type and the praise for the capstan set-up.

For skidding, I see them offering an optional "nosecone", presumably to keep the end of the log from jamming into the ground? Is that a necessary ingredient?

"Pine Wilt", it's a nematode with an amazing reproduction rate, that gets transported by an insect, shuts off the moisture movement through the tree. Pretty complex cycle that eventually kills the tree, and once the infection is in there, death is irreversible, apparently. It's really wrecking havoc.

I would venture to say the nose cone would be well worth buying if your skidding lots of small logs with a small winch. Other wise there will be alot of running back and forth to unjam your log

Jay, do you also have a good cant hook? It may be a worthwhile tool to have to maneuver the logs side to side in order to avoid obstacles while skidding them with the winch. Also handy for rolling or moving logs so you can set the choker.

yhst-7005988279550_2043_476885

Get a couple of snatch blocks .Besides using them to double the lines you can set them high to keep the logs from nose diving .

I only have a few little ones myself but I have several 5 ton rated deals but they must weigh 65 pounds or so .Not something you want to be dragging into the bush very much . You accumulate stuff like that if you are somewhat of a junk yard dog .;)

Not much if it's a redirect in line with your log and anchor point. Then most of your pressure is down

Generally, the older pines in this area are in the 60-70 year old range, with some older exceptions. Generally that translates to 24"-30" diameter size for the older trees.

Brian, no cant hook owned here, but a good idea. I see them around.

Found a diagram of the Pine Wilt cycle:

Attachments

• fig3.gif
    fig3.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 46
Back