Why shouldn't I buy this truck?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes it's a 6.0. At least it isn't a 6.4, and it's a later 6.0 (2003.5-2007). No inspections in FL so I will delete the EGR immediately. Water pump and oil cooler are easy enough. Intake studs later on down the road, still don't see anywhere near $9K.

If you have to pay someone to do it i could see it, if i remember right you have to pull the cab to do the studs, so that's a ton of work.

Today I found these two trucks about 3-4 hours away. They are a bit smaller but a F350 with airbags will still work for me. I haven't heard back on the 2005 but am meeting the guy with the 2008 at 10am tomorrow. His bottom line is $12,500.

The diesel would be nice but Ford had some crappy diesels in that era. I can buy a gas motor truck for less than half the price and I'm not planning on hauling massive loads anyway.

You are a smart guy, Brian. If you buy a used piece of equipment at a decent price, and it doesn't work out, or you learn you could do more _____ with _____, you have a good used machine to sell. You lose on sales tax, shopping time, and some here and there.

Good to see you building into a new incarnation.

I'm really liking the 2008 F350. Owner says he's in the drywall business, there was a removable rack to hold metal studs. He used the dump bed for sand and stucco. It would be very easy for my welder to make a nice bed with dual gates and three foot high sides. I suspect I'm going to own it within the next 24 hours.

Today I found these two trucks about 3-4 hours away. They are a bit smaller but a F350 with airbags will still work for me. I haven't heard back on the 2005 but am meeting the guy with the 2008 at 10am tomorrow. His bottom line is $12,500.

The diesel would be nice but Ford had some crappy diesels in that era. I can buy a gas motor truck for less than half the price and I'm not planning on hauling massive loads anyway.
Unfortunately the 2008 was misfiring on 2 cylinders, had an exhaust manifold leak and had a bunch of OBDII engine codes according to my code reader. I really wanted the truck but not with major engine problems. The 2005 was actually in better shape overall than I expected and I bought it. I will have some interior upholstery work to do (seat, door panels, dash, steering wheel) but the truck seems solid. And for only $9K it's hard to go wrong unless the engine blows on the way home. I will go back to pick it up later this week when I can get another driver.
00z0z_6m08AfbXTOQz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 00P0P_epExxfItJTgz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 00T0T_kwKh7ZDgdHvz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Some good news on my newly purchased dump truck. The owner/seller works at a new car dealership and has a working relationship with a car transporter. The transporter makes regular runs from Ft Myers to Sanford Auto Auction, which is about 6-7 miles from my house. The seller got the transporter to bring my truck to Sanford as a favor, so I don't need to get a second driver to drive it home (190 miles away). I did, however, need to drive down again to pay him for the truck and get the title. I did that this afternoon and got home 30 minutes ago. The truck will be in Sanford tomorrow night or Thursday.

And just for fun I may keep this thread running as a sort of 'build thread' as I fix the truck up. I already ordered a tool box for it off Amazon (best price $380 incl. sales tax delivered to my door).
Amazon- Buyers Products 48" truck box

Last edited:
Got the truck home today, although not without some excitement. When I picked it up there was less than 1/8 tank of fuel so I stopped and filled it up. I knew the previous owner only put 1000 miles on it in 6 years so I figured fresh gas would help. A mile down the road the guy next to me waved me down and said I had gas leaking. I pulled over and it was leaking out of the gas cap. Probably related to the po455 code I pulled off the computer (large emissions system vacuum leak). Also, when I got home and went to back it into the carport, it stalled. Google research tells me that a po455 means a bad gas cap or a bad vacuum canister purge valve. So I ordered both, which should be here in a few days.

I've ordered over a thousand dollars of crap for this truck and haven't even seen my auto upholsterer or mechanic yet. Besides the tool box, gas cap and vacuum canister purge valve, I got a full set of replacement marker lights (seller's son painted over them when painting the bed), heavy duty rear leaf springs and a bunch of fluids. Engine oil, transmission fluid, rear end lube, etc. I want new fluids in everything since it's a 17 year old truck with 144K miles and I have no idea of the maintenance history.

My goal is to have a nice truck for $15K or a little more. Still have $5K to go.

I've had the truck for 24 hours and already have spent about $1500 on stuff for it. A couple issues have developed, including two tires with tread separation. The previous owner had it 6 years and put 600 miles on it, only driving back and forth from his house to the dump. I found a full set of 6 new wheels and tires on Craigslist for $900 so I will go that route rather than buying new tires and still having to deal with the nasty, rusty rims currently on the truck.

I have a couple other rather immediate issues, neither are expensive. The hydraulic cylinder for the dump is leaking and needs to be resealed. The bad part is that it is dripping on the driveshaft, which slings oil on the muffler and creates a massive smoke cloud. I need to pull the cylinder and my hydraulic guy can rebuild it for $125.

The other issue is that after running around today all of a sudden I had no brakes. Pedal sank to the floor. I eased it home and checked, no leaks anywhere. Master cylinder is brand new. Two hours later, I moved the truck and brakes worked perfectly. Guess who is flushing the brake fluid on his new dump truck tomorrow?

Here's what arrived today. Wiper blades, brake fluid, a vacuum canister purge valve, marker lights and a very nice toolbox. All the little shit adds up!

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    887.5 KB · Views: 13
Buyers makes a fine tool box imo.

I know because I tried to drive into my garage bay with the tool box door open :cry:

The wide edge of the tool box door cut through the inch thick pine trim on the garage bay. The tool box door got tweaked a bit of course. I was bummed but figured I could sledge-hammer it back into to place to make it functional. Nah, it wouldn't really budge.

To keep the tool box door semi closed until I could get the box replaced, I tied a 1/4" cord from the tool box T handle to the dump body and soon forgot it was there so when the cord finally snapped while dumping the next load of wood, I was amazed to find no further tool box damage from yet another brain fart.

And when I removed the tool box door, I was surprised how heavy it was.

My new Buyers tool box looks fine;)

Last edited:
My last truck I bought toolboxes from Tractor Supply. They were ok but not water tight in the least. Also they had massive stickers on the doors which would not come off with common solvents. After 2 years you can still see where the sticker was. The door on this one looks better designed to prevent water intrusion. We will see.

My Buyers tool box has always been weather tight.

Another trip to Tampa this morning to pick up 6 wheels and tires. I would put them on the truck today but I already have the dump cylinder removed and can't let the bed down to move it to the concrete where I can use the floor jack. Although if I know myself, I'll probably do it anyway before the day is out.

Another Amazon delivery just now, motor oil, transmission fluid and gear lube. Now it's really looking like I'm moving the truck with the bed raised today.
00Z0Z_1uYwbe6ieH4z_0t20t2_1200x900.jpg
IMG_0292.JPG

Everything I found online says that a 2005 F350 dually and 2021 Dodge 3500 dually have the same size lug pattern and same size center bore. Well they don't. Supposed to be 142mm, the Ford rim is 141.85mm and the Dodge rim is 140.99mm. I bent one rim trying to run it on with the lug nuts before I saw it wasn't working. Needed two pry bars and a 5 pound sledge to pop the wheel off the hub. Started in with my grinder and got the first rim to fit in about 5-10 minutes. 4 more to go then I'll have my tire guy swap the new tire onto one of my old rims.

Edited to add that I got 4 of the 6 wheels done as well as bleeding all the brakes with fresh fluid. Used almost 2 quarts. All the bleeder valves took a 3/8" wrench except the right front, which took a 10mm. So I assume the right front caliper has been replaced. Pads all have plenty of meat and the master cylinder looks new and has a Ford logo on it.

Last edited:
Back