Why shouldn't I buy this truck?

SkwerI

Treehouser
Other than not having any money, but that's never stopped me before. Recently I bought a mini loader with plans of subbing for local tree guys and others forwarding and loading material. I only have an F150 to haul it around and I'm quickly realizing that there are many revenue streams available if I have a way to haul material. Spotted this truck on Craigslist and it looks almost too good to be true. Ad pics suck but it's only 20 miles away.
https://orlando.craigslist.org/hvo/d...397065279.html

An example of additional revenue streams would be removing old concrete driveways for paver companies (as an example). Avant even sells a hydraulic jackhammer attachment! Hydraulic breaker - https://www.avanttecno.com/us/attachments/hydraulic-breaker Check out the video.

That's what I was thinking, should be some good deals coming.

On the other hand it looks perfect for what you want to do, but I don't know anything about Sterling and can't really make out the mileage. Worth a look if it's only 20 miles away I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mileage is 110K miles, barely broken in. Sterling was Ford's big truck division sold off to Freightliner in 1998, eliminated in 2009. Freightliner was obligated to carry parts for 10 years.

I got cold feet on the way to look at the truck. Started thinking about how much money I've spent in the last 3 weeks, how much I've made in the last 3 weeks, and how big my debt pile is. I can't see spending 18K on the truck, plus taxes, registration and insurance, plus upkeep and repairs just to pick up a few hauling jobs per month worth maybe $200 per load. At least not yet.

For tree work, we have a couple local companies specializing in hauling/recycling tree debris and they have fleets of 60 yard grapple trucks. They will come to your job and load/haul 60 yards of debris for $400. Since this started 10-15 years ago, it eliminated the small Bobcat/dump trailer guys who were making 300-400 per load hauling debris. Market pressures have capped potential earnings at $200-250 per load (minus dump fees) so there just isn't any money in hauling tree debris.

I'd love to have a nice 15 yard dump truck to pull my loader and haul small loads of logs but it just isn't realistic. I need to focus on creating clients for loader services first and start paying for the machine I already purchased.

Both of my truck mechanics had this to say about Sterlings when I was shopping for my chip truck: "When they run, there isn't a truck in it's class that can beat it. When they break down, prepare to bend over and donate heavily"...

I now know one of the owners of one locally, and he basically agreed with the sentiment. He said the truck outperforms others in his fleet of the same caliber from a towing/hauling and fuel economy perspective, but when it's time for maintenance and repairs, he stated it's 30-50% more expensive. The mechanics I believe were both referencing to on the downside was the availability and price of parts, and that was before the pandemic, with the supply chain issues now probably making it worse than it was then.

Same thing my Sterling guy said. He's put stupid hours and miles on his.

I would personally want a tandem, you will very very quickly overload a single axle, and it's the same license to drive. I would either get a grapple one or a dump.

Mines got a lift axle, but yeah. I've seen some dudes here back their tandem dumps in spots i didn't want to go with a pick up. Up here a tandem is fine pretty much everywhere, they run tandem concrete trucks exclusively, and deliver to residential without a second thought. I've even backed them down my neighbors lot, a 180 turn, and then up to the house to pour. The dump trucks are far more maneuverable, they will back them pretty much anywhere. The drivers are union owner operators, and do pretty well, some to the point of running fleets.

My buddy when i got it, he drove it home for me. I've got a grapple lined up for it, and plan on moving the crane to the back and boxing it in.

20121212_122814.jpg

Last edited:
Lol no, that thing is about 3k a year to put on the road, which if i was full time would be no problem, but since it's a side thing i just can't swing it yet. Once i have a lift and a mini or something I'll probably start running it, and won't chip at all.

I keep tormenting myself looking at trucks. This would make an awesome chip truck, but I think it would look even better pulling my loader with about 10 yards of logs in the bed. I think I may drive to Miami Monday and look at it.

Brian, it's definitely a better looking deal than the Sterling, but be warned. That model year with that engine is known to be a potential problem related to failure, requiring a rebuild/resleeve. Make sure to get the maintenance records for it. If it was rebuilt (like mine) the engine should now outlive the truck. My brother had 2 of them, and he had to resleeve both, costing about $9k each 4-5 years ago (I now have one of them). Good luck.

Back