Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I used to.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Not me.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • What's a pager?

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Last time I knew of a pager being used was 10 years ago when I worked for the city of Winter Park. They gave one to whoever was on call for after hour tree emergencies. I have not seen one in use since.

I used to carry one, so did all my buddies, man they were cheap compared to cell phones back in the day!
Then they changed the pay phones so you couldn't recieve calls to them, well it lost all the vigor.

I know people that still carry them for their work, not sure why with the cost and ease of cell phones.
Now I just have to carry two cell phones:?

I never had one. I didn't know anyone still used them. I can remember when doctors were the only ones who had pagers.

I used to when I plowed driveways. The cell service is a lot better, but still sketchy around here. I had my answering machine programmed to forward the phone number of whoever called. Then I could get to a phone and call home to see who needed what. The pagers would work everywhere, so it was a reliable way to be "on call" and still be able to leave your house for a while.

Dave

I had on in highschool too, 13-14 I think, got a cell phone when I was 15.5.

If the "usual" reason is for work, then yeah, I had it for the usual reasons :)

I know people that still carry them for their work, not sure why with the cost and ease of cell phones.

Hospital staff are about the only ones I know that carry pagers. Can't use cell phones in the hospital.

They use them at the plant, cell phones aren't intrinsically safe, certain types of pagers are.

had one alongside a cell phone, like 10 years ago... anyone ever go for coffee with the crew and have 'pager races'? :shifty:
you put your pagers on a table in line, then you page yourself until the pager vibrates itself across the table...

iPhone? bah. :P :)

7176-3687-167-175-250x275.jpg

cell phone, bluetooth, IR out (tv, vcr etc remote control). MP3 player, video and still cam, speakerphone, data and schedule organizer, calculator, web service, email, text message, touch screen, alarm clock, fax machine (fax out at least no sure about in), runs exel, Word, PDF's, qwerty keyboard, SD memory card capable (I have a 2 Gig in mine) many downloadable apps.... :D

and usable by multiple service providers, around here only one carrier is offering the Iphone that I know of.

Yeah... but ain't near as kewl. 8)

The deal is, my contract isn't quite up, my razor is toast and they want $200 just to replace it. Smart phone or a blackberry is more like $400

iPhone is $200, does all I want it to, has a wicked interface and has excellent GPS nav. The VZNav on the other phones I looked at was sorta lame and kinda expensive.

Plus, the iPhone is just kewl. 8) It'll make me ten years younger at least!

Blinky not to bust your bubble, but don't let that Iphone get a scratch on the screen or it will not work right again. My stump guy has had two that got minor knicks on the touch screen and he could not answer calls with it. Warranty the first time, his pocketbook the second time. Get a waterproof case for it for sure.

Yeah... but ain't near as kewl. 8)

The deal is, my contract isn't quite up, my razor is toast and they want $200 just to replace it. Smart phone or a blackberry is more like $400

iPhone is $200, does all I want it to, has a wicked interface and has excellent GPS nav. The VZNav on the other phones I looked at was sorta lame and kinda expensive.

Plus, the iPhone is just kewl. 8) It'll make me ten years younger at least!

the GPS is a cool thing, I just bought a Garmin unit, THEN they release the blackberry with it built in... sigh. If the phone does what you want AND takes ten years off your appearance, who is to hold you back? not I. :) give'r!

A pager is the method used at work they use to summon us the a job which needs attention .In other words a machine is non functioning,the assembley line is down,get your azz down here pronto . Other than that,I don't use them .

Regarding the screen, I protected my higher dollar phones with Palm Pilots screen protectors. They came in a 10-15 pack and worked like a charm*.

Note, they will NOT protect the screen from breakage if you run a mini across it in the gravel.

Back