Whats your saddle of choice ?

• Thread starter itsmyblood
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 10K
I have a butterfly 2 at work, but at home on side jobs I have both the BF2 and a New Tribe.

I go for the New Tribe every time.

What's your saddle of choice? Its a funny question really because we all have one kind we climb in most of the time but have another that we'd like to buy and try. We're not a very faithful lot.

edit: I climb in a Sequoia with the shoulder straps but no Kroll.

I started with a 4 dee weaver without a wideback,sold it,bought a petzl navaho vario,sold it,bought another 4 dee with a wide back,i actually like it.

I've had the sequoia SRT for close to three years now, still going strong. I swapped out the bridge on it, but that's about it. Tried the Tree Austria III, but went back to the sequoia. If I get another saddle it will probably be the motion, but the money is the obstacle right now...

jp:D

Been rocking a tree motion for a little over 6 months now I think. Loving it. One of the best saddles out there, if not the best.

I sent my petzl back, too. Have you ever tried a floating dee?

Yeah,i had one of those when i worked for valley crest[company issued]i didn't like it too well,it had the leg straps and everytime i turned away from my tie in it busted my balls.

Pinnacle, I like it a lot. Comfortable, durable. Could be lighter I 'spose but doesn't feel heavy wearing it.

So many folks rave about floating dees, I tried the Sequoia and didn't like it, could probably get used to it if the Pinnacle aggravated me, but it doesn't.

Leg straps have nothing to do with the floating dee . What you're saying is you like a butt-strap saddle, not a leg-strap. Cool. Now, you should try a floating dee.

call me old school but I love my Butterfly. I love my Butterfly II but have never used it save for 1-2 rec climbs. I keep replacing the bridge with New England HRC....

But I no longer do production day in, day out work.

Leg straps have nothing to do with the floating dee . What you're saying is you like a butt-strap saddle, not a leg-strap. Cool. Now, you should try a floating dee.

Good point, working with too many variables. But I didn't like the way you had to center yourself in the saddle relative to the TIP after climbing off to one side. Course thats what most folks prob. like about it! But youre right, I should try a batten seat with the floating dee, probably be easier to get used to cuz its not so radical departure from what I have now.

But I didn't like the way you had to center yourself in the saddle

That's pretty much a misconception. It "centers" itself, hence a floating/rolling dee. You don't even think/notice it: that's the beauty of it.

no it was a buttstrap saddle,it had these 1 inch leather straps for whatever reason,they kept busting my balls,the saddle i have now doesn't have those straps.

i had a floating dee saddle with a buttstrap,not leg loops,it had these 1 inch leather straps on the buttstrap that went around your legs to either side of the saddle,they hurt like a mofo,my saddle doesn't have the straps like that one,you can order them with or without the straps.

Bill - you might be tightening those leg straps too much. The straps that come off the butt strap and up between your legs are only there to make sure that seat stays down under your rear. If the straps weren't there, it would be possible for the seat to ride up around your lower back and not be underneath you when you sit down, allowing you to slide out the bottom. The leg straps don't have to be snug to accomplish this. IMO, the looser they are the better. Tightening them will simply jam them into your crotch, which is painful.

I've been a fan of my custom ordered New Tribe for many years...pretty close to their current ProGear. I'm liking my standard Sequoia pretty well, too. I switch back and forth as the spirit moves me.

I have the New Tribe Nikosi as well...so far I have yet to become completely convinced that it's superior to the ProGear model...but the sliding bridge is certainly a good feature. Jury's still out for me on that one.

Bill - you might be tightening those leg straps too much. The straps that come off the butt strap and up between your legs are only there to make sure that seat stays down under your rear. If the straps weren't there, it would be possible for the seat to ride up around your lower back and not be underneath you when you sit down, allowing you to slide out the bottom. The leg straps don't have to be snug to accomplish this. IMO, the looser they are the better. Tightening them will simply jam them into your crotch, which is painful.

Thanks mang,my current belt came without them,haven't had it slip yet.

Back